PDA

View Full Version : Random questions about players' equipment

kylehess10
12-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I had some random thoughts about these questions:

1: Who pays for players' equipment? The team or the player?

2: How much does it typically cost to have equipment like jerseys and bats made for the players?

Fnazxc0114
12-28-2007, 12:37 AM
ive wondered the same thing. also when do ball players get paid? how much is their per diem? the rangers just picked up hamilton and they take dish his out on a daily basis. do they get paid like normal people just with a lot more money?

ahuff
12-28-2007, 05:37 AM
From what I've understood, it is the team that has the jerseys made. I've been purchasing minor league jerseys, for several years. I've been told that it costs between $65 and $150 to make up some of these jerseys. I guess it depends on the material and the amount of detail on each jersey.

kylehess10
12-28-2007, 06:01 AM
also when do ball players get paid? how much is their per diem?

Well, here's a Mark McGuire payroll check from 1998 so this could give you an idea of what a star player got paid per check

http://www.historicauctions.com/images/listings/14B27EF4-1111-B1F9-F354BEF560C290D2/DSC_3422.JPG

skyking26
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, here's a Mark McGuire payroll check from 1998 so this could give you an idea of what a star player got paid per check

http://www.historicauctions.com/images/listings/14B27EF4-1111-B1F9-F354BEF560C290D2/DSC_3422.JPG
Hi: Any interest in selling this check? Is it endorsed by McGwire on back? LMK should you decide to sell it...

Bob

bigtruck260
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
I think that photo came from Historic Auctions - right Kyle?
There is a watermark dead center of the check.

Dave

bigtruck260
12-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Dave

Maybre Heritage Auctions

godwulf
12-28-2007, 12:54 PM
A check that size, you've got to wonder why a guy wouldn't have direct deposit or something. Sheesh! I don't know what McGwire was making in '98, but, what do you figure...a check like that about every other week?

I've read that most MLB players' equipment, uniform items, bats, etc, is paid for by the clubs - unless the player is getting gloves or spikes, something like that, from a company as part of an endorsement deal. The most famous recent exception being Bonds, of course, who buys all of his own stuff so there won't be any question who owns and can sell it.

I'm always interested in what players keep of their own stuff - and what they're allowed to keep - at the end of a season or when they leave a team. A lot of the older players tell me, "I kept one jersey and one bat from each team"...although, of course, others will keep a lot more, to give to friends and family, or what-have-you...and then there are collectors like Schilling who probably keep everything, or try to. One player told me that they get to keep one jersey at the end of the season, but that they can buy more if they want them, just by paying the team their replacement value.

I remember seeing Steve Finley and Luis Gonzalez, to name two, when they left the Diamondbacks, lugging out big bags and boxes of uniforms and bats, after cleaning out their lockers. I'd guess that the "bigger" the player, the more discretion they are given by the team in that area - either that, or the players consider what they have to pay the team for the stuff to be chump change and not a big deal.

I've never understood why my own team, the DBacks, don't get more into the game-used equipment and uniform business. They sell a few bats in the team shop - usually at ridiculously high prices - but, from what I'm told by people in a position to know, they send most of the old uniforms down to the minors, to be stripped and reused. ARRRRRGGGH!!! What a waste! For what they could get on the collector's market for one of those jerseys, they could buy several brand new jerseys for the farm hands to wear.

Toward the end of the '07 season, Mel Stottlemyre - both of whose sons have a long history with the club - was with the team as a special pitching consultant, and all I could think, watching him sitting in the dugout during a game, was, "I wonder what they're gonna do with his jerseys."

kylehess10
12-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Dave

yep, it sold in last months auction for $202 with BP.....I didn't buy it though

yanks12025
12-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi
I have a question about player equipment.
Does anyone know how many hats players were issued back in the late 1970's. Thanks

flaco1801
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
in the sixties and early seventies players were charged if they gave away baseballs. im sure if the players wanted to keep their equiptment they could surely afford to pay for it