PDA

View Full Version : Who made this NFL jersey?

kingjammy24
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
here is a 2007 michael vick "game issued" jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270197881686

here's what has me curious; on july 17, vick was indicted. on july 23, goodell ordered vick not to attend training camp. on july 26, the falcons open training camp and vick is arraigned and ordered not to leave Virginia before the trial, thereby ensuring vick would not play in 2007. i'd say that a couple of days after july 17, the falcons knew vick wouldn't be playing that season. given that they knew this, they wouldn't have ordered a jersey for him. if the falcons didn't order this "game issued" jersey for vick, then who made it up? are nfl jerseys typically ordered prior to the start of training camp?

rudy.

mvandor
12-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Well, the listing says "game issue/pro cut" so I think it's likely it's just a pro-cut, not anything from the team.

NFLJerseyCollector
12-24-2007, 12:21 PM
That jersey and awhole bunch like it was made before training camp started, i have gates jersey for the Chargers tagged 07 year before they decided to go with the new style jersey.

As for where is it made, it doesn't have a ripon athletic made in berlin WI tag, judging by the tag, it has the same tag as the Arizona Cardinals jerseys

kingjammy24
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
would a pro-cut have that collar tag?

"That jersey and awhole bunch like it was made before training camp started.."

made by who? that is, who applied the nob and numbers? the manufacturer/team?

if this is a pro-cut, then i'm guessing that the nob & numbers were applied by some private, non-team, non-manufacturer entity. in that case, did they simply acquire a blank pro-cut and have it done up as a vick?

to be honest, the concept of a pro-cut has me a little confused in some cases where the tagging is indistinguishable from a gamer and the nob and numbers are perfect, down to the stitching. these jerseys are made by the manufacturer according to orders placed by the team. if there is no specific order, then would the manufacturer just pump these things out? after all, they aren't intended for the retail market. if you look at the case of the crates and crates worth of lebron "pro cuts", then it seems as if the manufacturer is pumping them out with the nob and numbers. if the teams aren't placing these orders, then who? maybe agents looking to turn a quick buck or team staff doing it secretly? i know i can't call up reebok and tell them i want a 50+2 lebron jersey with pro tagging made up for me.

i guess i'm just wondering where these things are coming from if not from the teams. i'm curious if the manufacturers are indeed letting these things go out the back door complete with nob, numbers, and customizations or if individuals are acquiring blanks and having them done up.

rudy.

cugolfnut
12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Nlfjerseycollector.....can You Tell Me The Best Way To Get Game Jerseys Of The Chargers? I'd Love To Get A Whitehurst...also Do You Have Any Former Clemson Players. Any Help You Can Give Would Be Great...have A Great Christmas.

G1X
12-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Rudy,

I would guess that most NFL teams would have made their initial 2007 order well before July 17. It would seem that ordering in mid-to-late July gives little time to fill the order and do any necessary alterations. From a personal experience with the Falcons back in 1995, I toured their facilities on July 8 and they already had their 1995 game jerseys on hand in the equipment room.

I have no facts to base it on as I have never asked the question, but my guess is that NFL teams would be ordering uniforms in the spring. This might be a fun question for someone to ask the next time they have a conversation with an equipment room contact.

Happy Holidays!!!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

NFLJerseyCollector
12-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Rudy, look at the font style used on the tagging on Vick's jersey and compare that to all jersey made by Ripon Athletic.

As for what manufacture made the jersey, i doubt that it was from a private or non team manufacturer, jersey look to professional to be from a small shop.

mvandor
12-25-2007, 09:11 AM
He offers no provenance in his listing and uses the term pro-cut so I'll believe that's what it is, that it never got NEAR a Falcons facility. $1,000 for a game cut is ludicrous, not to mention its a Vick. Apply 90% discount to the face value of a normal pro-cut.

bigjimsguitars
12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
The seller sure has a lot of Un-Worn Pro-Cut, Team Issued stuff, to the point it makes you wonder where it's all coming from.

$1000.00 just isn't reality and if it belonged to me, I would auction it off to the highest bidder and donate the proceeds to a reputable animal rescue center.

Merry Christmas,

Jim

kingjammy24
12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
"I would guess that most NFL teams would have made their initial 2007 order well before July 17. It would seem that ordering in mid-to-late July gives little time to fill the order and do any necessary alterations. From a personal experience with the Falcons back in 1995, I toured their facilities on July 8 and they already had their 1995 game jerseys on hand in the equipment room."

prior the start of training camp, the team doesn't entirely know who'll make the final cut and who won't. if they don't know, how can they order the jerseys? do they just order jerseys for every single training camp invitee?

awhile ago i watched a series on HBO about the kc chiefs training camp. during the entire camp, players were regularly being cut and new players were being brought on mid-camp. at some point towards the end of camp, the chiefs played a pre-season game at arrowhead. it showed some little old lady sewing up some jerseys for the pre-season game. i don't know if she was just sewing patches on or the names and numbers as well.

in baseball, the orders are placed during march/spring training when the team has a reasonable idea of who'll be on the team/who to order jerseys for.

at any rate, an interesting question. your experience with the falcons certainly holds merit. (i'm assuming the jerseys you saw had the nobs and numbers applied).

"Rudy, look at the font style used on the tagging on Vick's jersey and compare that to all jersey made by Ripon Athletic."

i don't know the difference. can someone post '07 tagging from a ripon jersey?

rudy.

NFLJerseyCollector
12-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Here are the Ripon athletic tagging Font Style

kingjammy24
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
did ripon tags change font style in 2007? anyone have any ripon '07 tags?

nflcollector, are you saying the tag is homemade/not legit?

if so, then this is a really interesting jersey.

rudy.

Eric
12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
the falcons font in the year tag is different from other teams. the vick tagging font is correct
here's another example
http://www.jimyackel.com/75Coleman07-07.JPG

who contacted the vick seller to get these questions answered?
eric

kingjammy24
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
"who contacted the vick seller to get these questions answered?"

my intent wasn't to question this specific jersey. simply to use it as an example. i'm sure mitchell's jersey is exactly what he says it is. he seems to cover his bases pretty well with his "un-used game/pro-cut/issued jersey" descriptions.

really what my question was was when you have a "pro-tagged" jersey that doesn't really seem to have been genuinely game-issued/part of a legit team order, then who makes them up? if the tagging, nob, numbers are all good yet it wasn't part of a team order, then how did it get made?
similar to the lebron jerseys on jersey-joe. clearly the cavs and/or lebron didn't order those so who did reebok accept the order from? did reebok even make it or was it originally a pro blank that was made up at some local shop? i thought mitchell's jersey was a good example and i don't believe i'm stating anything about his jersey that's contrary to what he states in his ad. given that i believe mitchell's jersey is exactly what he states it to be, i felt no need to contact him. i was simply wondering where these types of jerseys come from.

rudy.

lund6771
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Rudy..the seller of the Vick would be the best person in the world to ask this question to..."where is this stuff coming from?"....one thing for sure is that it's nowhere near a locker room

..he's been getting and selling this stuff for years

I'd love to know what perecentage of his stuff is showing up in auctions as game used

Nilbog
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Is it possible we are looking at the wrong manufactuer(Ripon)? From what I know, the Patriots, Bucs, and Bills have their jerseys made from another company. I forget the name But it's in the eastern part of the country, more than likely NY. Maybe the Vick jersey is manufactuerd somewhere else other than Berlin, WI. Also, that company makes some NBA gamers as well. Notice how alot of the NBA gamers sport a black size tag near the jocktag. It's the same size tag I saw on some Brady/Patriots gamers. Ripon does not use such a tag.

BTW, now that I think about it, Russell Athletic offers the same style jersey (exact cut, font, and design as the Falcons) in their 2007 catalog. Make a few changes like switching jocktags, adding a nameplate, and adding that year/size flag and you can try to duplicate a NFL gamer. This could also be a possible answer.

I'm not an expert but those could be some possible scenarios.

Nilbog
01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Here's a pic of a tagged 2004 Brady jersey (not made from Ripon)
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/cf/6b/19c0_3.JPG

Here's a pic of the Vick:
http://i2.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cd/64/0bd4_1.JPG

They both seem to utilize the same font so I would think it's safe to say that the Company that manufactuers the Pats jerseys also made the Vick.

Peterson28
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
As I recall the following teams do not use Ripon. The 49ers, Falcons, Cardinals, and Patriots. You will notice in the Year-Size tagging on any jerseys from these teams is different, and also they do not contain the Made In Berlin,WI tagging, but instead have a inside wash tag that says Made In USA
However as far as I know, the Patriots since 2006 have switched to Ripon, but anything pre- 2006 Patriots wouldn't have Ripon tagging

Eric
01-04-2008, 11:53 PM
here's another example of a falcons jersey with loa that has identical font
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rod-Coleman-2006-Atlanta-Falcons-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ220153290180QQihZ012QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

otismalibu
10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Who's gonna be the first one to click Tonto's link?

Let's get Mikey!