PDA

View Full Version : Are Game Used Distributors Taking Advantage of the Consumer?

frikativ54
12-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Has anyone else here been driven crazy by the people who are "exclusive dealers" of game-used memorabilia? It's just like these guys like to make a buck or two by selling any and every item of player x, even if it's not been game-used for very long. Like for example, there was this bat I purchased a while ago, and upon its arrival, it maybe had been used in 30 AB or fewer... light game use would be a generous description of it. I'm not going to return it, but after further thought, I really feel ripped off. Am I the only one that feels that game used distributors are taking advantage of the consumer?

joelsabi
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
when i buy an item, i want a full description as well as photos of the item. if the distributor provides both then i do not see a problem. every collector has their preference. some like lots of game use. some like pristine looking bats.

you cant really blame the distributor if he provide a description and photos.

bigtruck260
12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
When I see "Game used shower shoes" (actually saw a major company do this) how the heck can shower shoes be game used) or other items like workout undershirts or socks (sorry Kyle) - I get a little irritated.

It's like there is someone following players around picking through their trash to get anything player touched. I am a fan, but I am not about to inflate the ego of a multimillionaire athlete by buying his underwear or jock.

A lightly used bat is different. Some guys don't use bats long - so light use might make sense. If I showed my buddies a shadowbox with sliding shorts in it, they might think my collection had taken a disturbing turn.

Shower shoes with a hologram and LOA? Good God.

Dave

frikativ54
12-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Shower shoes with a hologram and LOA? Good God.

Dave

Auction link, please?

skyking26
12-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I know Dave Kingman has looked at me strangely over the past 15 years with the items I get signed, etc. To most athletes, they are there to do a job using the tools of their trade and wearing what they have to wear. They don't see things in the perspective we do; and I have not seen many outside maybe Jim Thome who really have a love for the game sadly. I am in construction, so if a guy wanted my hammer, tool belt, nailpuller, saw, because I used it - I guess I would think it a bit strange too...

Happy Holidays -

RK

bigtruck260
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Auction link, please?

It was from an auction that has long been ended. However, I noticed that Kyle Hess posted in another thread about his Carlos Guillen GU shower shoes. Here is the link to that. Maybe you can ask him about where he got them...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13076

Dave