PDA

View Full Version : Help needed w/ Marcus Allen cleats & James Worthy GU shoes

Dewey2007
12-21-2007, 01:36 PM
I got the following items as a kid in the early 80's and got them out of storage recently after about 20 years and I am having a hard time authenticating them. I can't find any similar items on-line, good pics, etc. The Allen cleats have his # on the back but the Worthy's have no identifying marks. I do remember though he was probably the only guy wearing New Balance back in the day.

If there are any Marcus Allen and/or James Worthy memorabilia aficionados out there that can help me out I'd really appreciate it. The Allen cleats are from his rookie year (1982) and the Worthy's are from the 1983-84 season.

Thanks in advance and any questions feel free to e-mail me at: deweystg@berkeley.edu

Dewey2007
12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Dear GUUers,
I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate any expertise from folks out there on these two items I have. I have included photos. I am trying to find any information to help me in the authentication process. I have contacted Puma and New Balance directly and they couldn't give me any info on them and short of asking the players directly I have been stuck. :confused:

Thanks in advance!
Dewey

both-teams-played-hard
12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
If you want the shoes authenticated for re-sale purposes, MEARS would be your best bet. Otherwise, you should trust your original source. I checked gettyimages and corbis, but could not find a definite style match or photo match for the Marcus cleats. However, both sites have several photos of Marcus. He did wear Puma during the Oakland era, but couldn't find photos with the velcro tab or black laces. Both could have been covered with ankle tape in the game photos. They aren't many photos from his rookie regular season. I would search media guides from the season after his rookie year and Sports Illustrated issues.