PDA

View Full Version : Sellers Remorse??

Dewey2007
12-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I am interested to find out if anyone else has experienced regret in selling some memorabilia? A few months ago I sold my game used MLB bat collection and for about a month after I felt really uneasy about having done it. I don't know if it was because I felt like I could have gotten more money if I had shopped them around more but I think it was more that I felt like I had sold a piece of my childhood since I collected these items between the ages of 10-13 years of age. In the collection was a nice 1981 George Brett bat which was the first bat I had ever gotten and looking back that was the one I wished I had kept.

I'd be interested to hear some other thoughts on the subject.

bigtruck260
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Happens all the time -

I wears off when a new box is laying on my front porch.

Dave

scottanservitz
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
It has happened to me twice, an early 80's Eric Dickerson SMU gamer and a complete nm to nm/mt 1965 Topps baseball set, complete. Took over 2 years to complete. Never get over those two.

Scott

bigjimsguitars
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Bought a GU Twins v Devil Rays Line up card and paid for it, but never got the item...the seller said he sent it, however I doubt he actually did as he was too gracious with refund....

What bummed me out was it wasn't for me, but for my brother who lives in Tampa Bay and was to be a gift....

nyjetsfan14
12-22-2007, 11:41 AM
One way to combat sellers remorse is sell/trade with somebody you know and/or like and that truly loves collecting what you do. That way when you miss a piece you at least know it found a good home.

EurekaDave
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Name one thing you have sold that you would like to have back. It's a painful question and we all have something in mind. Be honest. Maybe the buyer will have a change of heart. I regret selling a Rajai Davis Giants jersey with All-Star patch. His career flourished after I sold it.

das1721@suddenlink.net

gingi79
02-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Mt first gamer. Valeri Bure Florida Panthers red from 03/04 with a skate cut on the shoulder.

dcgreg25
02-25-2010, 10:15 PM
1992 Kenny Lofton home jersey... I sold it in a moment of weakenss before I started my Lofton collection and have never been able to track it back down.

murfsteve25
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM
1992 Kenny Lofton home jersey... I sold it in a moment of weakenss before I started my Lofton collection and have never been able to track it back down.

Ouch! That would be a nice jersey to have. Hopefully your able to track it down and get it back.

skyking26
02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
My first GU jersey purchase was 1988; a Dave Kingman '75 Home Mets NNOB. I sold it in 2008 taking heat from wife upon my involvement buying much of Dave's collection and funds were used to secure Dave's '73 Giants Home. My thought at the time is that I have a 82 Home and 77 Road, and know where a 76 exists and thought the owner would sell.

Well, doubtful the owner will ever remember where he even has it, and I have a feeling Hell will freeze over sooner than a sale. I regret selling it, no question...

Kid4hof03
02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, tough question, I have a few that I would love to have back but I think the #1 item would be Gary Carter's bat used to hit his 250th home run. I would love to have it back but do take a lot of comfort in knowing it is in the collection of one of the best guys around.

Abe

shoremen44
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
There's a bunch for me... If I had to pick one it would be one of Pujols' 2006 Louisville Slugger World Series bats...

It wasn't used and I needed money at the time, but have always regreted that one

markfd
02-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Ryan Howard 2004 Phillies game used cleats, sure they were only used in September but they were his first major league cleats.

jetersbatboy
02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Its got to be zeenuts(new owner) photo matched Shane Victirno home jersey!! I worked long and hard to photo match it. An can't rember any GU item I was more happy with. Which I sold to buy my Mattingly jersey, that I am now selling. Wait is that buyers or sellers remorse????:( either way that is a peice I'd like to have back. But it did go to good home, so I'm happy about that!!

BIGSTIG
02-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Last summer I was looking to raise some funds to move out on my own again, after losing my job and being forced back with my folks. well I decided to sell off some items to fund this. I regret alot of what I sold, but I figured they are all material items, and my sanity was more important :)

This January I made myself this list, as now I am back on my feet, and looking to rebuild here was my top 10 list...

10 - Aramis glove that was disgusting from 2005 (all star glove)
9 - 73 Kessinger Road
8 - 87 Dave Martinez Home (I will have this soon, hopefully by April)
7 - Dawson Glove
6 - 88 Sandberg Home
5 - Mark Grace cleats (These are now back home)
4 - 91 Road Walton (This is now back home)
3 - 87 Road Jody Davis
2 - 88 Dawson Home
1 - Shawon Dunston 1995 Road Jersey (This is now back home)

So I guess now the answer to the question is my 88 Dawson home jersey.

I know where it is, though unless he finds an upgrade I dont see it coming home anytime soon. Oh well such is life...maybe that means I will find the 90 Road dawson with all star patch that I REALLY want??

soxfan
02-25-2010, 11:56 PM
I sold a pair of 1998 Kobe GU/Signed shoes...the white Adidas "Kobe's"...they were awesome but I didnt want to hang on to them while Kobe went through his "troubles" back in Colorado...

Hind sight is 20/20!

Jeremy

macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

flaco1801
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
30 plus years of collecting, never sold anything... only remorse is some of the things i passed on.... my belief is collectors never sell...thats why lots of collectables never resurface.

bigtruck260
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I sold a Larry Walker Cards bat a while back, thinking I'd find one with more use on it...have not seen one since.

tgwynn1919
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
For those in the Chicago area that go to the Cubs convention, you are aware of the team auction that goes on. Anyways, a few years back, I bought one of the mystery bags that had a bunch of game used equipment in it. I ended up getting a game used bat of D. Lee, A. Soriano and a bunch of misc game used jerseys. Some guy must have been watching me to see what stuff I would pull out of the bag. As I was walking out of the room, he approached me and asked "would you be willing to sell that 'Theriot' jersey and how much?" Ryan had just completed his rookie year and I was thinking he wouldn't turn into much (as most Cubs rookies don't, well at least while they are playing for the Cubs). I ended up selling that rookie jersey to him for $180. Theriot isn't going to end up in the hall of fame, but man, I regret selling that rookie game used jersey.:mad:

legaleagle92481
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I agree with Flacco that collectors collect. I never sold anything before this year (most of what I sold was at a loss) and I am happy to report that every nickel I have made has gone back into my collection. Sometimes you have to sell stuff to buy stuff you want more. When I look at my Drew Brees and Jared Allen jerseys I do not feel remorse about the items I have sold because I tell myself if you kept them you would not have these jerseys. I guess it helps in my case that the items I have sold were items I lost interest in years ago when I discovered g/u items or impulse g/u purchases that I regreted buying in the first place.

gridman80
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree with Flacco that collectors collect. I never sold anything before this year (most of what I sold was at a loss) and I am happy to report that every nickel I have made has gone back into my collection. Sometimes you have to sell stuff to buy stuff you want more. When I look at my Drew Brees and Jared Allen jerseys I do not feel remorse about the items I have sold because I tell myself if you kept them you would not have these jerseys. I guess it helps in my case that the items I have sold were items I lost interest in years ago when I discovered g/u items or impulse g/u purchases that I regreted buying in the first place.

Hi Justin, This is Jim....can we chat about the Revis..I am ready to rock and roll and am asking you to reply to my email asking about your preferred method of payment please. Thanks

CampWest
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Apparently even superstars like George Brett get seller's remorse...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...tim&id=3502239 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3502239)
excerpt

"About two weeks later, I got the bat back when we were in Detroit," Brett said. "I took the pine tar down to the limit, 18 inches. And I drew a red line on my bat [so never to put the pine tar above it]. I used it for two games. Gaylord came up and said, 'Why are you using that bat? That's a historic bat. If you break it, it won't be worth anything.' So I put it in the bat bag, and now it's in the Hall of Fame.

"Originally, I sold it to a collector [Barry Halper] for $25,000. But a week later, or six months later, I didn't think that was the right thing to do. So I bought it back for $25,000. And I gave Barry the bat that I used when I hit three home runs in one game off [Yankees pitcher] Catfish Hunter in the playoffs."