PDA

View Full Version : ASI on ebay

sylbry
12-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Twice in the past week I have set a snipe on an item being sold by ASI on ebay. As you may be aware of ASI uses "private listings" which protect the bidder's identity.

The snipe service I use lists the seller of the item and the ultimate winner of the item. In both cases the seller is listed as "asi-auctions" and in both cases the winner is listed as "asi-auctions". I was the highest underbid on both items.

Has anyone else come across this? I am not prepared to say they are schilling their own items (although the private listings makes you wonder). It could be the snipe service can not identify the winner under a private listing.

I would like to know for the future and whether I should just forget about anything listed by ASI.

Bryan

treasurechest collectibles
12-17-2007, 03:33 AM
I think ASI wouldn't be dumb enough to shill bid using their own name. It might have to do with the "private listing" as you mentioned, so it comes back as ASI auctions because it protects the buyers identity. Anyone else?

David
12-17-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm no eBay expert, but it makes sense that the seller's name might be the default if the bidder's name is hidden.

Besides, someone with half a brain shilling his auctions wouldn't bid with his selling id. Even if bidders can't see the bidder i.d.s in a private auction, eBay can-- and eBay's the ones who will cancel your account.