PDA

View Full Version : American Memorabilia

cohibasmoker
12-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Here is yet another, “we couldn’t care less about the collectors” complaint about a auction house. This time, it is American memorabilia. As per forum guidelines, I emailed American Memorabilia 3 times and as per their policy, no one from American memorabilia has bothered to contact me about my concerns.

Here’s the story: In their past auction, AM listed a Chicago Bulls ring. In the description, no size was stated. I emailed them about the size but never got an answer. On the final night of the auction, and prior to placing a bid, I called American Memorabilia to ascertain the size. I was told it was between a 10.5 and 11. So, since the ring would fit me, I placed my bid based SOLELY on the information provided to me.

Well, I got the ring and what a piece of junk. Not only was the ring NOT a size 10.5 – 11, it barely fit on my pinkie finger.

Will I ever bid again with American Memorabilia? Maybe. Will I ever consign an item to American Memorabilia again? Very doubtful. Next time Victor calls me at home asking me if I had any items I wanted to consign, I’ll first ask him he wants to buy a Bulls ring.

Jim

ironmanfan
12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
I have a buddy of mine who is in a similar situation. He consigned items in one of their last auctions and hasn't been paid yet. He is a consignor and no one from AMI will return his calls nor reply to his letters..

I told him after he originally consigned the pieces that he made a mistake by dealing with them and while he may have had his doubts then, he certainly knows now what these people are all about.

CollectGU
12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Bill,

Someone from AMI always picks up the phone when you call. Tell your friend to ask for Kieta and simply ask to hold until she is available as opposed to a voicemail.

Regards,
Dave

mvandor
12-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Bill,

Someone from AMI always picks up the phone when you call. Tell your friend to ask for Kieta and simply ask to hold until she is available as opposed to a voicemail.

Regards,
Dave

Really think that should be necessary Dave? Or perhaps a business could respond to customer email, give out the proper information on an item, or hey, honor a return when a purchase is based on misinformation?

You have nearly made a career here out of shilling for AMI.

CollectGU
12-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Yes Mike, I think a phone call and getting a live person on the phone is a good idea, and often helps clear things up. I'm offering some advice, but you seem to want to turn this into an argument with me as usual......

Dave

lund6771
12-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm a phone guy myself, and I got the run around for months...any other ideas?....maybe show up in person?

cohibasmoker
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
When Victor needed some consignment material, he had no problem calling me personally. If I wasn't home, he left a message. I understand that he is probably very busy but why can't a member of his staff at least email me? After 3 emails someone had to see at least one email.

I'am really not taking it that personal. I'll probably still buy from AM ONLY if it suits me. As for sending them consignment items, it is doubtful.

Finally, the way some of the auctions houses are going, eBay is looking better and better every day.

Jim

GoTigers
12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
What auction houses have you had good experiences with cosigning? I have a couple of things I had thought about putting up, and would be interested in your opinion. I have been hestiant to actually put anything up b/c of my lack of knowledge of the compainies reputations.

jdr3
12-14-2007, 02:07 PM
AMI is a classless organization. Remember Col. James Rast? Or Rocco?

David
12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I haven't dealt with every auction house, so my exclusion of specific companies shouldn't be misinterpreted.

I've bought and consigned with Lelands, and have been satisfied. Also, beyond my opinion, they are widely considered a reputable and knowledgeable auction house.

David
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Also, Huggins & Scott and Robert Edwards Auctions have strong reputations. I've never bought anything from REA, but have bought from Huggins & Scott. The principals of both companies are considered honest and ethical.

ironmanfan
12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Bill,

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave...As of last Monday, he hadn't heard anything yet, but if he still hasn't, I will certainly pass on your information.

Your help is appreciated.

Bill

lund6771
12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
AMI is a classless organization. Remember Col. James Rast? Or Rocco?

who is Col. James Rast and Rocco?

sammy
12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
If you make a living by robbing Peter to pay Paul..............

both-teams-played-hard
12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
who is Col. James Rast and Rocco?
James Rast is a mythical character created by American Memorabilia. Rocco is a real dude. Both made their debut on the original Game Used Forum, a few years ago.
This link may help:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7785&highlight=james+rast

lund6771
12-14-2007, 09:23 PM
BTPH....I don't get it

both-teams-played-hard
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
BTPH....I don't get it

Goto the gameusedforum.com archive at the top and search "james Rast" and "rocco". It's mildly amusing, but it's the oldest inside joke of this forum. Rast was made-up by some employees of AMI, and used as a vehicle to bash this forum. Rocco is a real person who started some classic confrontations on this forum (also a supporter of AMI).
My "interview" with Rast took place on April Fool's Day, so it is, indeed, a farce. Transcripts of my interview with Rast, are based on posts from Rast "himself". These are words used by Rast. It's not that funny, so there is nothing really to get. I think it's funny now...but, not "ha-ha" funny, but more like it's "creepy" funny.

lund6771
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
BTPH

I spent a few hours the other night checking out the old site and found the Col. Rast & Rocco posts...Absolutely hilarious!!!...Lump the Col. with the AMI girls, and the off the wall catalogues, I think you have a better cartoon than an auction house

On a more serious note, I'm alarmed to hear and read about the amount of amount of people that have had issues with getting paid from AMI...are they paying previous consignors with current auction revenues?...sure appears that way to me...i'd be nervous if they owed me money...is this the 2000 version of North Shore Sports?

I would still buy from them because they do get some nice items in every once in a while, but there's no way that I would even consign a piece of gum with the level of risk involved

cohibasmoker
12-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Hello forum members. We just got home and found a very pleasant message on our phone answering machine. The message was from American Memorabilia and they apologized for any misunderstandings about the ring. The message also advised me to just send the ring back and they will be more than happy to credit my account.

Wow.

Jim

reed1216
12-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Jim,

That's great news. I also was having a rough experience with AMI and they eventually made good on it. Sometimes it takes a little patience. I'm glad things worked out for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Reed97

sammy
12-21-2007, 08:08 AM
I believe it is the publicity they received on this site, that prompted them to violate their own "All sales are final" and "No returns" policy.

ifirocked
12-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Now if they can just pay people out within the 45-90 days stated in their own contract all will be well. I had to call many times for consignment payments. One payment took 5 monts from auctions end befor i recieved a check. They got a great price on some of my items, but not worth the wait.