PDA

View Full Version : Interesting MEARS stance on player provenance

kingjammy24
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
from the mears site:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tied to this today is the Mitchell Report and what it says about the game and any number of players. The question for those like myself, is that given we reward a jersey otherwise equal to another, minus the issue of provenance, do we then consider all player provenance on an equal footing? This is an issue of character and credibility. If a person or player is going to be misleading about one aspect of their personal or professional life, then what does it say about the other facets of their lives. If a player will lie and cheat teammates and to a larger degree, his profession, do we then consider this persons statement that “this is my game used bat, glove, jersey etc to be credible?

To be honest, my first reaction is no. What does this mean? It means I am going to talk with the MEARS staff and ownership about establishing a list of players who MEARS will no longer accept statements from that could materially effect the grade of an item. I clearly realize that in some cases, this may involve players we have previously seen as credible. There is no way to change what has happened, much in the same way MLB will have to address past player performance and records. The question then becomes what do you do going forward.

I am scheduled to meet with the collective MEARS Organization in January. I will bring this issue up along with my own recommendation. When a decision is reached and final policy established, I will report back.

Dave Grob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

i believe it's only realistic and accurate to come to the conclusion that not all players' words are equal, therefore not all player provenance can be equal. should be interesting to see the eventual list of "players who MEARS will no longer accept statements from that could materially effect the grade of an item." any bets as to whether ramirez, ortiz, arod, griffey will be on that list?

rudy.