PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about this McGwire bat?

Canseco44
12-13-2007, 09:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-MARK-McGWIRE-OAKLAND-AS-BAT-RARE_W0QQitemZ290190271109QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone ever seen a McGwire bat like this, and does it appear in his bat records. I guess I need to ask BMH. If this is the real deal, I would figure it would be worth a bunch.

Todd

allstarsplus
12-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Has anyone ever seen a McGwire bat like this, and does it appear in his bat records. I guess I need to ask BMH. If this is the real deal, I would figure it would be worth a bunch.

Todd Notice it is mis-spelled as McGuire if it is truly a mis-spelling as it could this be Bill McGuire's bat and someone added the 25 to the knob?

Bill McGuire played in the Majors in the late 80's.

Just a thought. Andrew

10thMan
12-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Todd, I was checking this out too. According to baseball Almanac, William Mcguire was drafted by the Mariners in 1985. This is a `86-89 Era Bat, it can only be made for 2 players. A misspelled Mark Mcgwire, or in my opinion, a william Mcguire. Mark did order s318 (in 87) I don`t know Bills ordering records. I`m not sure if any (documented) orders exist for mark using that particular finish. If Bill signed a L.S. contract in `85, then he would have signature model ls bats made. I asked several experts, but haven`t heard back yet. I`m by no means an expert, just my opinion. Someone bid on this & retracted it...

Sean

cjmedina1
12-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm the one who retracted the bid.I got a call from a friend that a S318 bat was on ebay and with a buy it know for 650.00.That was a red flag for me so I had my friend log me in and place a bid for me.When I got home to check it out I was shocked.His S318 bat orders are unfinished.So I started to do some research and contacted my friends of mine to see what they think.I got no response from them yet.

Bill Mcguire& William Mcguire did play during the the later 80's.I have contacted the seller and ask him how he got the bat.He told me he won it on Lelands Auction Scapbook live Auction Dec 12th 1992 and is willing to Fax over a copy of the auction letter.He did send me more pitchers of the bat but no auction letter :confused:I find that strange.He is willing to send a copy over to a fax number.:confused:..I staying far away from this bat unless some concrete evidence comes then its a different story.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

cjmedina1
12-14-2007, 12:01 AM
I forgot to mention I had my friend describe the bat and he fell to mention about the dark finish.If he would have told me about the dark finish I would never had him place the bid for me.

Carlie Medina III

10thMan
12-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Carlie, This bat has been re-listed AGAIN. I e-mailed the seller & asked for the length & weight, he replied, but never with facts. The auction says he got it from "Richard Wolfers Auctions" I agree, Mac ordered "unfinished" Bats, RUN dont walk...Happy Holidays
Sean

cjmedina1
12-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Sorry for all the crazy post.Here is a pitcher from Randell Hahn web site www.mcgwire.com (http://www.mcgwire.com).

Carlie Medina III

cjmedina1
12-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Carlie, This bat has been re-listed AGAIN. I e-mailed the seller & asked for the length & weight, he replied, but never with facts. The auction says he got it from "Richard Wolfers Auctions" I agree, Mac ordered "unfinished" Bats, RUN dont walk...Happy Holidays
Sean

Sean

Happy Holidays

hblakewolf
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
In less than a month, this bat is relisted by the same seller, however, it now was purchased from Lelands! At this rate, we may see it listed again next month and identified as purchased from MASTRO!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-MARK-McGWIRE-OAKLAND-AS-BAT-RARE_W0QQitemZ290198307154QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

3arod13
01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Emailed the seller. Stated, "last auction you stated the bat was obtained from "Richard Wolfers Auctions."

His response: my mistake ...The bat was obtained at lelands live scapbook auction in 1992 I have a letter from lelands and the orginal auction book

Seller emailed me within minutes.

Emailed the seller: LVS records reflect Mark McGwire only ordered unfinished bats."

Seller: Hasn't response and its been awhile

Birdbats
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't have McGwire's H&B order records, but here's something to consider. Some players have multiple sets of order records under different names, usually because of a typo or a variation in a guy's name. For example, I know David Green has two records -- one for "David Green" and one for "Dave Green." I suspect Albert Pujols has a second set of records under the name "Alberto," but I've never had that confirmed. It's possible that McGwire has another set of records under the name "Mark McGuire." I can't wait to hear the verdict.

10thMan
01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I also noticed seller has several stories. Wouldn`t be a big deal if this was a Mark Mcgwire Bat. Mike Specht e-mailed me & suggested 2 things, the original (mcgwire) dies we sold off by (h&b) & didn`t inlclude a "mcguire" Mike also suggested the finish didn`t match. I seem to agree. Too much of a story, at least for me.
I e-mailed the seller during the original listing & asked for the exact length/weight. He was nice, but never sent the info.

bigtruck260
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't have McGwire's H&B order records, but here's something to consider. Some players have multiple sets of order records under different names, usually because of a typo or a variation in a guy's name. For example, I know David Green has two records -- one for "David Green" and one for "Dave Green." I suspect Albert Pujols has a second set of records under the name "Alberto," but I've never had that confirmed. It's possible that McGwire has another set of records under the name "Mark McGuire." I can't wait to hear the verdict.

Verdict or Turd-ict? See you Saturday Jeff.

Dave