PDA

View Full Version : Ebayer Lambeauleeper At It Again...

aeneas01
12-11-2007, 07:17 AM
just in time for christmas....

Dan Marino 1998 "GAME ISSUED" Helmet

although he's cleaned up his wording some, it's remains clear that his intentions are to deceive - examples:

"Since I have no proof Dan Marino actually wore this helmet I am selling it as a "GAME ISSUED" helmet."

ha, ha, ha - as if there's a possibility that it once belonged to marino - just can't quite get the mitts on any proof...

"VERY RARE offering from this past M.V.P. and Hall Of Famer!!!"

ha, ha, ha - very rare? an "offering" from marino? ha, ha, ha....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dan-Marino-1998-GAME-ISSUED-Helmet_W0QQitemZ140188767883QQihZ004QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kneerat
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
That's all fine and dandy, but what proof does he have that it was "issued for a game?"
If he has proof that it was ordered by the team and intended to be used for NFL game play, then that statement is fine, but if he has no proof of that, well... you know.

Always remember, a piece of equipment that has been made to look like it should be used in game play is way different than a piece that was ordered by the team and issued for game play.

nyjetsfan14
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
If you have been on e-Bay a while you have seen these helmets repeatedly over the last couple years. They are just helmets made to the specifics of the player as seen on photos, film, cards, etc... then described as "issued" pieces. As you can tell by it already having a bid...the description works.

kneerat
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I guess... If you consider one bid of 199 bucks from a guy with -1 feedback, then yeah. It works.;)

B1SON
12-11-2007, 02:53 PM
As an "authentic" helmet or what ever you want to say it is, isn't it worth $199? If it was $600 currently I might think it worked, but I can tell you if I was a fan of Marino and I saw this "authetic" looking helmet, I'd pay $199 to display it in my office even if it wasn't "issued" for a game. ;)

mvandor
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
As an "authentic" helmet or what ever you want to say it is, isn't it worth $199? If it was $600 currently I might think it worked, but I can tell you if I was a fan of Marino and I saw this "authetic" looking helmet, I'd pay $199 to display it in my office even if it wasn't "issued" for a game. ;)

I am quite familiar with this guy as aeneas knows, I was duped into buying an LT helmet from him. I can assure you, the way he misrepresents his knockoffs results in them selling for 2x what they should at least. $300 for a good knockoff is about right AT BEST. You can usually get signed ones for a bit higher.

He makes awfully solid copies but isn't satisfied selling them honestly.

B1SON
12-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I remember analyzing the helmet on here with you. WOW! What did you do to recover your money...or....did you get nothing back?????

mvandor
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I remember analyzing the helmet on here with you. WOW! What did you do to recover your money...or....did you get nothing back?????

I chose to keep the helmet as it was nearly a perfect copy, better than what Real Stuff or other replicators seemed to be producing. Had it signed at a show several weeks ago, and it makes a nice display in my office.

Just not one valued at what I sunk into it, particularly after the $200 expense to ship it and get it signed by LT through Radtke.

aeneas01
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
the bottom line is that no one likes to be taken advantage of, misled into believing one thing only to discover otherwise down the road. imo lambeauleeper is a special sort of chump given that he's so small-fry; that his moral compass is so whacked that he has no problem ripping folks off for, in the scheme of things, such a small amount of money. this is especially true given that had he even an ounce of dignity, self-respect and determination he could make 10 times what he's making now by simply and honestly describing his helmets as "the finest game issued reproductions available". he could state that the customer would be paying for carefully matched components, dedicated attention to detail and a unique reproduction not available elsewhere. by taking this honest approach he could develop a solid reputation and following that would allow him to sell his lids at will and at a premium price.

but the guy is obviously a thug with a scope of vision fitting of a small-time crook. frankly, i believe that chumps like lambeauleeper feel the need to misrepresent their items because they're afraid that a buyer will turn around and dishonestly relist the lid thereby making a quick profit on their labor. i also believe that other "reputable" dealers, so-called industry leaders, that play "loosey-goosey" with terms such as "game issue" spawn copy-cats like the lambeauleepers of the world.

nyjetsfan14
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
This is where we should stress collectors really need to be their own authenticators. This is especially difficult with helmets. I used to be a member of the helmet club and some of these guys could reproduce exact copies of vintage helmets almost undetectable to anyone. Because of this I will only purchase (paying a premuim price) a Jets game used helmet from a source which I absolutely know and trust (it wasn't always that way - I have been burned a couple times in the past)...such as the team itself or someone like PSI who represents some Jets players. Because I mix and match helmets (between game used and reproductions) for display purposes I might bid/buy - up to a certain price - a helmet that appears authentic. I did this recently on the Brian Washington Jets helmet on e-Bay. It looks like a gamer but I don't know the seller or if the helmet is truly authentic but for 200 bones it isn't a bad price to pay either way. This forum provides a great opportunity to discuss items like this, especially with aeneas01 being very helpful and sharing with all his knowledge which I very much appreciate.

mvandor
12-12-2007, 08:42 AM
He also has a Philip Rivers "game worn" jersey I'm interested in but of course no provenance (other than a Lampson dime-a-dozen letter), and it is an odd size 46 - pretty small for a 6'5" QB.

I asked him about it, and he oddly replied from a different userid, marinofavre, as follows:

"It is common for tall players such as Rivers to wear many styles of jerseys. In fact Brett Favre and Dan Marino have worn sizes 44-54. Reggie white who weighed 300lbs wore a size 48. Look at photos of Rivers from the 2004 season and you will clearly see he wore "tight" hemmed jerseys at sometime during that season. Thank you for you question and feel free to email me at anytime. Merry Christmas and God bless!"

I decided to at least try to contact Bob Wick, Chargers equipment manager, to ask about the size, but had to use standard forms on the Chargers website as follows:

I'm trying to contact Bob Wick, if you could forward this I'd appreciate it.
This pertains to a Rivers supposed game worn jersey on ebay I'm considering purchasing. It is a 2004 size 46 which seems too small to be legitimate for a 6'5" quarterback.

I would immensely appreciate a minute of Mr. Wick's time to comment on the size and whether this jersey appears legitimate to him.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

--
Michael Vandor
mvandor@simpworld.com (mvandor@simpworld.com)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillip-Rivers-GAME-USED-WORN-ROOKIE-Road-Jersey_W0QQitemZ140188762645QQihZ004QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillip-Rivers-GAME-USED-WORN-ROOKIE-Road-Jersey_W0QQitemZ140188762645QQihZ004QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Blitzmaster
12-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Reggie White did weigh over 300 lbs but actually wore a size 44 jersey during his Packer years. The difference is defensive Linemen like their jersey's skin-tight so offensive linemen can't hold them(my college playing weight was 6' 7" @ 285 lbs and I wore a size 42). To compare a QB's jersey sizing to that of Reggie White is insane!!

mvandor
12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
The only reply I got was from the chargers.com webmaster saying he doubted seriously that the Rivers jersey was real. As to his expertise, who knows?

Rivers does wear a tight jersey but at 5'10" 200 lbs. I'd be uncomfortable in a 46 without pads, and Rivers is 7 inches taller and 28 pounds heavier PLUS pads.

And of course, it's not like the source has ANY credibility.

BTW, the Rivers and Marino jerseys did not clear reserve...

mvandor
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
He's branched out into jerseys, after a long hiatus.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/lambeauleeper

Very intersting ones too, dying to know where he gets them.

fredgarvin
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice jerseys. I had my on on 3 of them. Anyone have an input?

mvandor
05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Nice jerseys. I had my on on 3 of them. Anyone have an input?

First, he's overpriced them IMHO. I just sold a pro cut, signed Ladainian Tomlinson for approx. $600 with PSA/DNA/NFL COA (I won it on NFL Auctions). He has a 2004 UNSIGNED LT throwback for sale that's up to $650 - and still hasn't cleared his reserve.

His has been altered though, the waist has had hemmed elastic added as LT wears (my pro-cut had added length, no waist hem).

None of his "game issue" jerseys have cleared reserve which means he's looking for a big score in a bad economy.

If you are content with paying that much for a jersey that has ZERO indication of coming from an NFL team, I agree they're really great looking hard to find jerseys (the Marinos in particular). But I wouldn't pay more than $500-600 myself - if signed - less if not.

I doubt any clear reserve unless he drops same.

flaco1801
05-08-2009, 08:26 PM
we have a poster from SCD the same people that advertize Collectors Corner... i think you need to get your house in order before you make any statements here

mvandor
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
we have a poster from SCD the same people that advertize Collectors Corner... i think you need to get your house in order before you make any statements here

Care to clarify this remark Flaco? I don't follow.

NFLJerseyCollector
05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
First, he's overpriced them IMHO. I just sold a pro cut, signed Ladainian Tomlinson for approx. $600 with PSA/DNA/NFL COA (I won it on NFL Auctions). He has a 2004 UNSIGNED LT throwback for sale that's up to $650 - and still hasn't cleared his reserve.

His has been altered though, the waist has had hemmed elastic added as LT wears (my pro-cut had added length, no waist hem).

None of his "game issue" jerseys have cleared reserve which means he's looking for a big score in a bad economy.

If you are content with paying that much for a jersey that has ZERO indication of coming from an NFL team, I agree they're really great looking hard to find jerseys (the Marinos in particular). But I wouldn't pay more than $500-600 myself - if signed - less if not.

I doubt any clear reserve unless he drops same.

mvandor; Holy cow, I think your right.

Look at most of his jersey 'Marino and Tomlinson jersey', and look under the bid history for all of them, and you'll see theirs someone jacking-up the price to every jersey like 199.99 or 249.99 but never 200 or 250 even.

suicide_squeeze
05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
mvandor; Holy cow, I think your right.

Look at most of his jersey 'Marino and Tomlinson jersey', and look under the bid history for all of them, and you'll see theirs someone jacking-up the price to every jersey like 199.99 or 249.99 but never 200 or 250 even.

That's one of the blatant problems with ebay these days.

They have caused a fairly large problem by solving another.

They have made the bidders ID's invisable to other bidders and only available to the seller. So......he can shill bid to high hell and run it up to his reserve amount, while making the jersey appear to be sought after by many in the process, in the hopes to get that one last bid to push it over his limit.

Yet the ebay brainstorms can't see this?

Ebay's a joke. Bottom line: Don't bid more than you'd be happy paying for on one of the items you want for sale on ebay. Too much illegal activity going on there.

suicide_squeeze
05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
......oh, and by the way......the "problem" they solved by making the bidders ID's private to only the seller was the deluge of fake "Second Chance Offers" they were flying off to the second and third place bidders on an item that ended up fairly high.

mvandor
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Apparently I was correct in my assessment he had set his reserves unrealistically high - it appears all of his jerseys closed without ONE sale, without ONE meeting reserve.

BTW, he cancelled my bids I'd placed on the LT jersey; apparently my GUU postings have earned me one more ban in the wonderful world of memorabilia auctions.

:o