PDA

View Full Version : Daulton Jersey In Vintage Auction-original?

hblakewolf
02-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Forum readers-Plese see the following 1987 Darren Daulton jersey in the recent Vintage auction:
http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=66315704&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=66662414

This is the same exact jersey that was discussed in detail here on the Forum back in October. I made the following post about it:

October 26 2005, 9:28 AM
Forum Readers-
Note that the winning bidder of the RECENT Daulton jersey on Ebay is BEGNYA. Note the email address of the Forum reader-same name.

FYI-the jersey in question was discussed on the Forum recently. In summary, it is a good shirt, however, sent to the minor leagues. Note how the P and 10 are sewn onto the jersey. They have a thick stitch around the exterior, almost like an embroidery. This was done by one of the Phillies minor league teams, in order to get as much use as possible from them. The original players names were removed. As such, I would bet the name on back is not original.

When I made my bulk purchase of Phillies jerseys, I had a few road blue 1987 and 1988's that had this type of thick stitiching. Whoever did the sewing did a nice job, however, it does look a bit odd in person.
FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

As noted, the shirt is real, however, recycled to the minor leagues. Take a look at the difference in wear between the numbers/P and the restored name on back. The name on back is brand new, as the generial "PHILLIES" plate was removed from the back, and the restored "DAULTON" added. The description even notes that there is a small hole near the plate. This is because whoever removed the original DAULTON plate in the minor leagues ripped the jersey! I have seen this before, as the person may have used a razor blade or similar knife.

In conclusion, the jersey is real, however, restored. Likewise, the #'s and P have a very heavy stitching around them. There is no mention of this on the MEARS paperowrk or description in the auction. My 3 year old daughter could have spotted this!

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net