PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics/MEARS - 1993 McGwire

kingjammy24
02-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Current "Vintage Authentics" auction
"Lot 38: Mark McGwire c.1993 Game Used Jersey", authenticated by MEARS

Here are my issues with this jersey:
- in 1993 (and 1994) the A's did not use the 'elephant on ball' patch as is shown in the auction jersey, but rather the 'elephant with crossed bats' patch. (This can't be a 1992 because in 1992 the A's used a 25 yr Anniversary patch and it also bears the wrong style "Oakland" script for 1992. It also can't be a 1994 because it's missing the 125 yr MLB patch.)
See images below. As well, I have a 1993 Oakland A's road jersey, stamped with the "Purchased from Oakland Athletics" stamp inside and it has the "elephants with crossed bats" patch.
- the Russell tagging is circa 1996-1999. The style of Russell tagging shown in the auction jersey did not exist in 1992 or 1993.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/699/mac1ox.jpg

At best, it's a 1996. The A's had a 'lack of patches' in 1996. As well, the "Oakland" script, patches, 2-color name and number fonts, and Russell tagging all point to 1996. At worst, well...I'll refrain from saying it. I will add that I find it very odd that the "25" on the front of the jersey is much more vivid and crisp than the "Oakland" which seems relatively faded.
I can't believe someone actually paid MEARS for this authentication.

Rudy.

pietraynor
02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Additionally those numbers on the jersey look to be placed close to the tagging in the tail, too close I'd say.

kingjammy24
02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to add some more evidence to my claim that during 1993 and 1994 the A's wore the "elephant with crossed bats" patch and not the
"elephant on ball patch".

2 1994 baseball cards. Note the absence of the MLB 125 yr patch, thereby specifically dating these images to 1993.

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/219/mac4bd.jpg

Rudy.

trsent
02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Rudy, great work as usual. Just for your photo files, a great site to find pictures of sports trading cards is www.beckett.com (http://www.beckett.com).

They have a for sale area where there are more photos of trading cards available than you can imagine. I have used this area as a last ditch many times myself.

chris13
02-11-2006, 02:19 AM
While I agree with Pietraynor regarding the space in relation to the numbers and tagging; what are the opinions on this regarding the fact that we are potentially comparing two different sized jerseys as well as the difference in camera angles on the pictures.

I'm still new to the hobby and am trying to learn from others on the site. Any insight/opinions would be appreciated.

Chris

kingjammy24
02-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Chris,
I think your points regarding size and perspective are valid. Certainly I highly doubts that when numbers are sewn on, they're sewn on exactly the same place within 1/4 mm every time on every jersey. I think there's a certain amount of leeway. That said, I personally feel that the numbers sit quite low. Whether their position is within the 'acceptable range', I don't know.
What strikes me much more than the placement of the numbers is the appearance of the numbers compared to the "Oakland" script. Specifically, in my opinion, the "Oakland" script is noticeably lighter and more faded. The numbers, in contrast, are a deep, dark green with bold yellow outline. Why is it that the numbers appear to show noticeably less wear? Perhaps it's the lighting, or the camera.
To further illustrate what I mean, below is a 1996 McGwire auctioned off by Lelands. Notice how the numbers on the front seem match the shades of green and yellow of the Oakland script. That is, both the numbers and the "Oakland" script seem show the same amount of wear. Additionally, both seem to show the same relative degree of puckering. There is little discernable difference in wear between the "Oakland" script and the numbers.
To me, the difference between the numbers and the "Oakland" script on the Vintage jersey is a bigger "curiosity" than the placement of the numbers. Perhaps I'm wrong though and it's all simply a lighting/camera issue.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1904/mac21jl.jpg

Rudy.