PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Ellsbury - MLB's Latest Jerk?

mwbosoxfan
12-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I read an article this morning in the Globe that Jacoby Ellsbury held a signing at mall yesterday. You supply the ball or photo and $125 and he'd be glad to sign it. Oh, and if the picture was large or you wanted a bat or jersey signed, just add another $25. Everyone in Red Soxland loves this guy, but someone put the brakes on for just a minute. Jacoby made a major contribution down the final stretch of the regular season and some say he could've been MVP of the WS. I don't think anyone disputes his value, but he only played in about 30 regular season and 10 post-season games. He technically doesn't even qualify to be a rookie. This just doesn't seem right to me.

If there had been some mention that the proceeds were headed to a charity, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The article didn't mention anything of the sort. Some veteran players and HOFers don't even charge those kind of fees at signings. And, I don't have a problem with them charging those fees, as somehow I think they've probably earned it.

Players seem to sign less and less at the ball park. Along with my personal interest in collecting game used bats, my kids have assembled a pretty nice collection of baseballs - game used, bp, and auto'd mlb balls - all accumulated in person when attending games. It's been a huge part of the excitement when going to games, but in the past few years it's just been harder for them to get autographs. Less players sign and the ones that do spend less time doing it. I suppose when even a kid who played less than 1/5 of a season and can command $125 a pop, why would a player want to spend the time signing at the park?

Most would probably say that if people will pay it, that's the market, and so be it. I suppose with Ellsbury just signing on with Scott Boras as his agent, this probably shouldn't surprise anyone. I know I hold certain players in high regard, give them a pass when they disappoint me, and probably rip players apart when I really don't have a clue as to who they really are. Nevertheless, it seems sad to see a such a young and likeable player heading down a road this way.

By the way, I read that Ken Griffey, Jr. showed up at Redsfest unannounced and signed autographs. I saw a photo that showed boxes upon boxes of baseballs next to where Jr. was signing. Does anyone know what it cost to get in and what would it cost to get his autograph. Something tells me that he wasn't charging those kids $125, but I don't know. If someone does, please chime in.

pietraynor
12-09-2007, 01:15 PM
RedsFest ticket prices were $15 for adults, $7 for kids I believe..there were discounts if you went both days..Didn't expect Grif to show, but he's done this in the past also..always signs strictly for kids, which is fine. Don't know if/what he was charging. Jay.

kellsox
12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Considering him a "jerk" for having a high autograph fee may be a little extreme. While I'm not an expert on the topic, I presume that it's not Ellsbury himself setting the prices. While I'm sure that its not cheap to get him to make an appearance, I'm guessing that its his management negotiating the deals and the promoter setting the fees. This is also his time to cash in. He has an avid following and has made exactly 2 months worth of major league money. No one is being forced to pay the signing fees. As for him switching agents to Boras, I believe this may be a move on his part to help him stay in Boston. Some teams will stay away from Boras clients. While he's not eligible for free agentcy for 5-6 years, some teams may shy away from asking for him in a trade so they don't have to deal with Boras at all. Remember when he announced that he became a Boras client- in the midst of the Santana trade talks.
k

mwbosoxfan
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Considering him a "jerk" for having a high autograph fee may be a little extreme. While I'm not an expert on the topic, I presume that it's not Ellsbury himself setting the prices. While I'm sure that its not cheap to get him to make an appearance, I'm guessing that its his management negotiating the deals and the promoter setting the fees. This is also his time to cash in. He has an avid following and has made exactly 2 months worth of major league money. No one is being forced to pay the signing fees. As for him switching agents to Boras, I believe this may be a move on his part to help him stay in Boston. Some teams will stay away from Boras clients. While he's not eligible for free agentcy for 5-6 years, some teams may shy away from asking for him in a trade so they don't have to deal with Boras at all. Remember when he announced that he became a Boras client- in the midst of the Santana trade talks.
k

You're exactly right, there was a lot of speculation that while the Twins think that there should be more value for Santana, Ellsbury became much less attractive when Boras entered the picture.

When I think of someone's time to cash in, I think in terms of more like Papelbon with a couple of years or even Pedroia with a year under their belt. Not so much a kid who has 40 games, but I know what you're saying - when there's opportunity.

Still, I just have this ugly picture in my mind of that molded characture of Scott Boras as the Grinch and Jacoby, his new puppet, gouging little children who want their favorite player's autograph at Christmas time for 125 bills.

jshortt
12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
In response to Jr. at Redsfest, the tix were $15 per day or $20 for both. Griff signed for the first 200 people to reach his line, and the Reds provided OMLB's for him to sign. There was no extra charge. The only catch was being one of the first 200 to realize he was there and get into his line. Unfortunately, even though I was one of the first 15 into the building, I went straight to the G/U store instead of checking the autograph board. :(

-Josh