PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Game Used Bat Story on Ebay

3arod13
12-06-2007, 04:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Game-Used-Worn-Bats-Earl-Averill-Lloyd-Waner-L-K_W0QQitemZ220180579741QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60596QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nate
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Interesting way to make a staircase. I've seen bats used on DIY for a deck.

suave1477
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Correct Me If Im Wrong On This But Lets Say For Instance These Were All The Real Mcoy. Arent They Pretty Much Worthless Since They Have All Been Destroyed By Having The Knobs And Barrels Cut.

I Could Possibly See An Interest If There Was A Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Ty Cobb Or Somethiing In There, But Theres Not.
I Think Asking 4k Is A Bit Much.

jwasserman
12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
his initial starting bid was 20k. i think he's just feeling the market
Correct Me If Im Wrong On This But Lets Say For Instance These Were All The Real Mcoy. Arent They Pretty Much Worthless Since They Have All Been Destroyed By Having The Knobs And Barrels Cut.

I Could Possibly See An Interest If There Was A Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Ty Cobb Or Somethiing In There, But Theres Not.
I Think Asking 4k Is A Bit Much.

suave1477
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
He needs to feel a little lower lol lol:D

kingjammy24
12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
"..these bats were used to hold up his stairwell. This was a very common practice back then. If you did not use them for a stairwell, people made benches with the bats"

"I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6489/sillymp6.jpg

my granddad also had a staircase of bats. of course, he had so many bats that he also used them as roof shingles, bed posts, and siding. he had enough left over that he was also able to build himself a small yacht and motorcycle sidecar. he wanted to build the entire motorcycle out of bats but there weren't enough for that. i remember riding in the sidecar and gripping half a ty cobb barrel for dear life.

rudy.

bigtruck260
12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Might be a little much - but saves one the trouble of hacking up GOOD bats...where else are you going to find ACTUAL gamers that are ready to be mounted like that? For modern day commons - it would be cheap...but for old bats like those - pretty cool. I would bid if he came down a bit.

Seller is local here - and I have known him to sell authentic items. Have no reason to believe that they are not the real deal. Imagine putting those down the stairs leading to your "room".

Dave

Yankwood
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
He needs to feel a little lower lol lol:DThat's what she said.