PDA

View Full Version : LVB Bat Labeling Question

ironmanfan
02-08-2006, 08:40 AM
A friend of mine contacted me last evening about a bat he recently acquired off eBay (Jack Clark). The bat appears to be from the 1986-89 labeling period, however on the barrel above Jack Clark's engraved signature is simply the word "GENUINE" (centered above the signature) with NO model number. According to my friend, there is no stamping on the knob either. Can anyone here help me with a explanation I can give to him? (he will return it if necessary). Is this simply a factory error? Thanks for your input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8756843109&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

Birdbats
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Today, if a bat has "Genuine" and no model number, it's typically considered a souvenir bat, made for autographs and not game use. On bat order records, the model will be listed as "ANY" and the weight will be listed as "0.0 oz."

I'm not sure how it was done in the 1980s, but Clark's records from 86-89 show only one order of "ANY" -- 1 bat (34") on 2/7/86. No finish is specified. Clark has several orders for bats weighing "0.0 oz.", but those non-game (promo) bats are all assigned model numbers (typically M253, which is a very small, thin bat).

The bat you're asking about is brown, which H&B lists as the hickory finish. Clark didn't have any of those in his records from 86-89. The last order of hickory bats recorded for him (during his career) was 4/4/85. For whatever reason, several of his orders from 1986-87 do not have a finish listed -- but every order that is listed from 6/17/85 through the end of 1989 (with the exception of 18 Hornsby-finished bats and 60 black bats) is either flame or natural.

Given the lack of a model number on the bat and the lack of a match to factory records, it would be hard to convince me that Clark used that particular bat during that era.

There's something else to consider: Clark has been a major league and minor league hitting coach since retiring as a player. He's even managed in the independent Frontier League. It's possible this bat was made for him recently for use as a coach or manager. If he was not affiliated with a major league team at the time, H&B's labeling would look like it did in 86-89 -- no team name, just "Louisville Slugger" with the registered trademark symbol after it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com