PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware.....mattingly!!

JETEFAN
12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Looks like another 86-89 Mattingly M110 Promotional bat has surfaced on EBAY as a legit gamer. As Jim has stated on his blog, Donnie DID NOT order M110 during the 86-89 period. Bats were ordered for promotional purposes, a good number of these bats have surfaced on American's auction over the years, Jim may want to chime in. BEWARE!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110201872385&indexURL=6&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

George

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
George,
I was wondering about this bat. Despite the title stating its a 86-89 bat, doesn't the labeling show that its a 83-85 (no "r" after the Louisville Slugger)? I also can't tell if there is a finish on the bat. I've emailed the seller beacuse he states the importance of provenance and I'd like to see what that provenance is. Hard to tell based on the photos. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Mike

George...way to look out for everyone. Thanks!!!

ironmanfan
12-04-2007, 10:01 AM
defiinitely NOT a 1986-89 model due to lack of registered mark after Louisville Slugger below Mattingly's name.

JETEFAN
12-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I went by the heading and did not look closely at the picture, this is not 86-89. It is an earlier bat, however if it is from 84-85, I believe it should have NO FINISH, Jim help !!!!!!

George

Yankwood
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I went by the heading and did not look closely at the picture, this is not 86-89. It is an earlier bat, however if it is from 84-85, I believe it should have NO FINISH, Jim help !!!!!!

GeorgeI believe you're right, it should have no finish. What I have noticed though, is that after time has elapsed, in this case over 20 years, they appear to have a finish. It's slight, but it happens with his bats. It especially appears that way in pictures. It does to me anyway. Am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed this? It's like a sheen or something.

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with you Yankwood. Its hard to tell. I am waiting on a response from the seller on whether or not there is a finish. If you look on Hockeystix's For Sale page, you will see that he has a similar bat. In his email to me, he stated that Taube felt like the bat matched the ones sent to baseball promotions (his too does NOT have the "R" after LS). It looks very close to the ebay bat (but, without the use). You can email hockeystix for the pics, but they look very similar. I would stay clear unless the seller has some great backing on the bat. Great discussion...this is why I like this forum so much!!

Mike