PDA

View Full Version : Minor League vs. Major Leage - What is more desireable and/or valuable to you?

3arod13
12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I have two Alex Rodriguez signed baseballs from 1994. One is an Official Major League Baseball (Bobby Brown) and one is Minor League Southern League Baseball (Jimmy Bragan).

The minor league baseball was signed while Arod was in the minors, and was obtained and signed when Arod played for the Jacksonville Suns.

The major league ball was signed by arod while with the Seattle Mariners.

I prefer the minor league baseball because I believe it's more difficult to find and it has an earlier signature prior to the major leauges. career.

Your thoughts?

LWMM
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm with you on that;I have a couple early signatures of Jonny Gomes, and I much prefer them to any recent ones.

This one is from early 2003, one of only two that I've seen; it's not on a ROMLB, but I like it all the same. Sorry for the bad picture.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/LWMM/DSC02744.jpg

I just bought this one about 15 minutes ago, and likewise will be quite fond of it. On a ROMLB, his rarest signature (only used in late 2003) and from his earliest MLB days.
http://i22.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c3/c3/330f_1.JPG

I'll probably pick up a recent one sometime soon so I can display all three side by side, but it doesn't interest me all that much. The rareness and earliness, I think, make the largest difference.

bigtruck260
12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Sometimes, the earlier the sig, the more legible it is...

I have a great Pujols ball from the 2007 Winter Warm Up that may be one of the better sigs from him I have ever seen. I am almost postive that it would grade at least a 9.5 (if I cared about that kind of stuff). No authentication needed on this one - Saw him sign it myself...

Early Pujols sigs are horrid. His first signing with Steiner, you can barely make out anything. They were selling for $399 back then.
Here are photos of A. A Steiner ball from 2001-2002, and a 2006 signed ball (mine). The major difference in Albert's minor league sig was the fact that he used Jose (his first name)...otherwise, it was pretty ugly. In this case, I would much rather have a newer sig.

3arod13
12-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your comments. I agree that an earlier signed piece from a players career is more desireable (to me) than one from his pro career. Of course, rookie season, milestone, etc. are most likely more desirable.

As I collect, I like to find items that are rarer than others. Even today, there are thousands and thousands of Arod signed baseballs. When it's all said and done, there will be millions.

How many will be able to say they have an earlier signed ball, especially from his minor league days? Not many.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's another ball I have signed by Robinson Cano, while with the
Trenton Thunder #51. Haven't seen on like this to date.

skyking26
12-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I am also in agreement. I have a minor league GU jersey of Mark McGwire with the Huntsville Stars. Signed twice: once in the collar and again on the shirt front. I have had the shirt since the early 90's when it appeared the McGwire's injuries would bring an end to a promising career.

This would be the first time that I have given thought to selling it, as I have been on a spending spree and would like cash and preferably a McGwire signed Cards jersey to take it's place. I am not going to give this piece up.

Vintage is always more desireable than current because of scarcity. It has been neat having this jersey all these years. If the right deal comes along great - if not - no big deal either...

Bob

joelsabi
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
More valuable: I go with the major league ball. there are tons of HOF baseball collectors that would love the major league ball in their collection. i know one who has this same looking major league ball as a centerpiece of his HOF collection. The collector is ahead of his time. The major leaugue ball will always go for a higher price if listed at a Sotheby's.

More desirable: the minors is the minors and the major is the majors. there is a reason why players want to go to the show. a major league rookie jersey will always go for a more than a minor league jersey no matter how rare. at the same time, i understand how a serious collector would want the minor league ball.

I uploaded a poor photo of appleton logo ball signed by alex rodriguez. its basically a earlier autograph on a souvenir baseball.

i think there is something to be said of having a ball that could have been actually used in a game like the OML baseball or the Southern League ball.
so if i had to buy one arod ball from these three I would want the OML ball first , then the Southern League ball and then the Appleton last. of course I would want all three.

joelsabi
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Sometimes, the earlier the sig, the more legible it is...

I guess players have different signatures. One thing I admired with the oldtimers when they did have the opportunity to sign duing the early day of the Autograph boom was the pride that these players had when autographing baseballs. Maybe it was a slower times when people werent in a rush. I am not sure what it was. Older Timers like Mantle always had a very aesthetic signature even the Babes look great.

Alex Rodriguez went through a period in 1996 when his autograph was not so complete as his early signature. He was just getting into being very recognized and his autograph was in high demand. Maybe that why his autograph became rushed to sign more stuff.

There is a different signatures: ballpark signature (seems rushed) and there are the the complete signature you see from private signings and everything in between. Never seen a great hotel signature of alex rodriguez. There is the milestone signature (signature on milestone items are awesome)

Anyways I am rambling. I really like your two signed Arod balls: remind me of the old time signatures.

LWMM
12-03-2007, 12:18 AM
By the way, I should add to my first post that given two baseballs signed at the same date, one OMLB and the other a MiLB ball, I would prefer the OMLB. For instance, if Gomes also signed one of those in when he signed the one in the first picture, I would prefer it.

cjmedina1
12-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I think it all comes down to the collector.As for my self I like the vintage signature.:DHere is a few of my early Mcgwire autographs.I would say these are probably the earliest Mcgwire auto's thats out there.1982 Team ball sign by Anchorage pilots:eek::eek:
Carlie Medina III
carlliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net