PDA

View Full Version : Is this a normal habit, and if so...

brianborsch
11-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Hello,

I just purchased a game used bat and the bottom of the knob has been colored Red and then on top of that is the player's number written in black sharpie. Is this some sort of normal thing? If so, what does the red coloring mean? BP? Game bat? What?!?

If anyone has any experience with this that would be great.

Brian B

kswarriors
11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I've seen it before on Eddie Murray gamers. As far as I know, it's just a more distinctive way of making a bat visible in a bat rack and does not signify BP or actual game use.

nomarmauerfan
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Brian,
I have had a Keith Hernandez cracked gamer since 1986. He was one of my favorite players during the 1980's. It came with all of the Hernandez trademarks (pine tar in the middle, seam marks on the right side of the label). Hernandez even said it was one of his gamers when I met him and he autographed it in 1986-7. Earlier this year I tried to sell it (when I was just getting into the hobby), and it was sent back to me. The buyer did not want it because there was blue ink colored on the knob over Keith's #17. I've done some checking into this and understand that it may have been done to signify that the bat was cracked. I'm glad I didn't wind up selling it because my grandmother got it for me. But, I had never given the coloring on the knob a second thought. But, obviously, this was enough to detract a well-known bat dealer. So, you may have a tough time selling it if that is your plan. Hope this helps.

Mike

brianborsch
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Here is a pic of the knob....

stlbats
11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Doesnt really look like the case on your bat, but sometimes the knob is colored to cover up another number, then the new number written over the top color.

Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

nomarmauerfan
11-30-2007, 07:44 AM
After seeing the pic, I'd have to agree with KSWarriors...that makes it a lot easier to identify in the rack.

Mike

brianborsch
11-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Thats what I figured, but I wasn't sure. The person I got the bat from assured me it was NOT a BP bat, which I believe. I just wanted to find out what the red meant, if it was something players specifically do from time to time.
I can't wait to get the bat though! Its on the way!