PDA

View Full Version : Appalled With Homework Excuses

EndzoneSports
02-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Not wanting anyone to think I was picking on them, I thought that it was best that maybe I start this as a separate thread rather than replying to another’s. The jest of a forum communication between two collectors went something like this... A collector solicited opinions from other “experts” wanting to know their thoughts on a particular auction item. A reasonably well thought out response suggested that the collector do some research on the item by studying photographs, checking out tagging and comparing to Internet resources, comparing lettering/numbering to other known examples, and other items to help in making a smart decision regarding the purchase. To this, the collector replied, in essence, thanks for the advice; however, I really don’t have the time to go through all of this. Though paraphrased, and somewhat

I need a bit of a reality check here. Am I the only one who finds this attitude a bit appalling? Have we really digressed so far in the hobby that we would/could somehow allow collectors to participate in it while completely disregarding the most rudimentary of research skills? While I would certainly hope that this attitude is not typical, it does go along way in explaining the hobby’s current infatuation with the all-powerful LOA... I can’t be bothered with learning it, just put it on paper for me.

Regards,

norristrophy
02-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I agree with you. I had been looking for a Joe Charboneau gamer for quite some time and finally found one on the e-Bay with good provenance but that did not stop me from doing from my homework. When I could not find answers as to what the press-star patches were for that were on the right sleeve of the jersey, I managed to contact someone from the Cleveland State Library who found an article from 1980 where Charboneau was Press-Star of the year and won the award 5 times (there are 5 patches on the jersey). The fact that no one really knew what the patches were did not dissuade me, I kept searching and finally arrived at my answer through an unlikely source. Homework is still the key, I don't care of the LOA comes from the player, team, or anyone else. I'm still doing the homework necessary.

~Steve

rbalm
02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Patrick,

I think what I was stating in my response is actually what you just posted. I was stating that I did not have the time to be investigating jerseys I see up on Ebay, Thus I should not buy.

Thanks Scott for the advice. However, you just brought up what the problem is with this hobby. Too much Bogus material and too many crooks. I dont have hours to spend to sit on the computer looking at Getty photos to try to match up a jersey. Your response implies another great point, if you buy on Ebay, buyer be aware unless you want to spend the hours needed in an attempt to verify a jersey. Myself, I have better things to do with my time.
Maybe I will just go back to coin collecting. Lot easier"

My bigger point is that there is too much fraud in the hobby. The novice collector is being taken everyday on EBAY and from auction houses. Its sickening.

Adam

rbalm
02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
One other point. I never mentioned LOAs because they are worthless. I do not rely on them nor should anyone in the hobby.

suave1477
02-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Besides the fact of doing your homework its bring you closer to the feeling of comfort if you are going to or already have obtained an authentic item, but i actually think it is cool the knowledge that comes along with it that might even help you with other items. Just to give an example if - i was interested in buying a particular game used bat from louisville slugger and the player retired in 1977 and this particular model was started in 1985 then i know its a fake and i can look at my other items and scrutinize them better.

kingjammy24
02-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Maybe I'm an odd duck but I always felt the 'homework' was one of the most enjoyable parts about this hobby. That is, learning about it, acquiring the knowledge, learning all the subleties and nuances is mainly what's so enjoyable about this hobby. When I get home from work, crack open images of some jersey and start researching it top to bottom, I find it incredibly relaxing. (Each to their own, right?). Whether I'm buying the jersey or not is irrelevant. For me, it's the learning that's the fun part. If you really feel that the 'homework' is something you dread doing, then you're in the wrong hobby. Inherantly, this hobby is primarily about learning about jerseys.

There are two kinds of people in this hobby; those in it for the enjoyment and those in it for the money. I suppose there's also a third: the guy who just wants to buy a jersey, hang it on his wall, and call it a day. He's not a collector nor does he even enjoy what this hobby entails. He's just some guy who wants some sports memorabilia. I saw the HBO special on memorabilia fraud and one of the buyers they profiled seemed to be like that. Some dad out in the burbs who just wanted to pick up a Roethlisberger jersey for his kid. He didn't care to to invest months and months of time educating himself because he's not really into the hobby per se. All he wants to do is go on to Ebay, click 'Buy It Now', hang the jersey on his kid's wall and go on with the rest of his day, feeling he got a legit jersey. Unfortunately this hobby doesn't work like that.

If you want a hobby where you can afford to be naive, then this is the last one you should get into.

Adam, when I read your post it seemed like you saw a Bettis jersey on Ebay and wanted people on here to tell you if it was or good or not in order to help you decide if you should buy it. IE: "I don't have time to learn anything and I don't really care to, just tell me if this Steelers jersey is good or not". Whether the jersey comes from Ebay or not is completely irrelevant. Any jersey purchased from any dealer, collector, auction, etc requires equal due diligence. If you don't have time to do the due diligence, then don't buy any jerseys from anywhere. It's 'buyer beware' in any situation, Ebay or not. If you don't enjoy learning what you need to know, then it's probably not the hobby for you.
Somehow I doubt coin collecting will offer a respite from the requirements of learning and analyzing. I've always wanted to own a legit mid-1700's 'escudo' or 'reale'. Unfortunately, until I spend enough time learning enough to discern fake from legit and all the subtle nuances so I understand what I'm buying and why, I won't be walking into a coin shop and dropping $600 anytime soon.

Rudy.

EndzoneSports
02-08-2006, 04:56 AM
Adam-

As I'd stated, I really wasn't trying to pick on you, even though my posting was "inspired" by your thread. This is why I started a new thread rather than replying to yours directly. It wasn't so much that yours delivered this messaged directly, but it just reminded me of several that I'd read along the same vein. "Too busy... Not enough time of my own to learn... I'll take someone else's word for it... Somebody just tell me what it is that I'm supposed to believe before I plunk down my hard-earned $3,000!." And just as this was somewhat of a fictionalization of your message, so to was my LOA analogy. But doesn't it sometimes seem that this is why folks are so darn fired up about the importance of the almighty LOA.... "I don't know a lick about the jersey I just bought, but it's got Lousy Lou's LOA with it so it must be good."

Granted, eBay is fraught with more than its' share of slightly questionable items. However, as Rudy stated, no item regardless of source should be immune from careful scrutiny, and such scrutiny is not possible without taking the time to familirize yourself with at least a basic arsenal of knowledge about the hobby in which you wish to participate, be it game-worn jerseys, coins or any other collectible item.

Best Regards,