PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Letter ???????????????

JETEFAN
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
What's wrong with this ??????? Can't be, it's from STEINER !!!!!!!!!!!!
KNOBLAUCH bat with 125 underlined, no model number AND with the holy grail of authenticity "STEINER LETTER". Must be the real deal, any takers ???:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chuck-Knoblauch-Game-Used-Lville-2-Tone-Bat-STEINER_W0QQitemZ270191665861QQihZ017QQcategoryZ60 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cohibasmoker
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
What's wrong with this ??????? Can't be, it's from STEINER !!!!!!!!!!!!
KNOBLAUCH bat with 125 underlined, no model number AND with the holy grail of authenticity "STEINER LETTER". Must be the real deal, any takers ???:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chuck-Knoblauch-Game-Used-Lville-2-Tone-Bat-STEINER_W0QQitemZ270191665861QQihZ017QQcategoryZ60 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yet another - Ooops. Hey Jeter, check out the thread below this one in reference to the Boggs Red Sox jersey. This "What's wrong with this" is from PSA/DNA

JETEFAN
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Yet another - Ooops. Hey Jeter, check out the thread below this one in reference to the Boggs Red Sox jersey. This "What's wrong with this" is from PSA/DNA

Like they say, "DO YOUR HOMEWORK" these letters haven't meant anything to me for quite some time now!!:confused:

Thanks
George

b.heagy
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
you can get the real deal from this guy :D http://cgi.ebay.com/98-01-Chuck-Knoblauch-Signed-NY-Yankees-Game-Used-Bat_W0QQitemZ280177581890QQihZ018QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jrd
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
^ Nice Knoblauch. Do you have a website? I'm not interested in Yankee bats but if you have any Oakland items I might be.

b.heagy
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
^ Nice Knoblauch. Do you have a website? I'm not interested in Yankee bats but if you have any Oakland items I might be.

Thanks, Website is still in the works. Send me an email I may have something of interest to you.

suave1477
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Jetefan I am not defending Steinre but I am going to play devils advocate once again.

I understand what your implying by your begining comment but you have been a member here a while and I would highly suggest to do a search referring to the member complaining about the "Jason Giambi bat from Steiner"

My whole point is the bat itself could very well be authentic / Game Used / well maybe not Game Used (Because it doesn't look like any use on it) but maybe Game Issued.

It is possible where a player could of ran out of bats and told the bat boy to go to the pro shop and get him one of the retail bats??? who knows??? It could be Steiner did make a mistake???

But think about, now as we all know Steiner gets there items directly from the Yankees who knows where the "oopsie" was made??? Meaning it could have been considered Game Issued??? Maybe Louisville Slugger made the mistake and included it in a shipment batch. It might just boil down to Human Error.

bigtruck260
11-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I have owned both - as an autograph collector and a game used collector.

It would not suprise me if a player used at store model bat in BP - but as far as a game...doubtful.

My guess on this is that the bat was laying around the facility, and it was picked up with the idea that it showed some use and player characteristics. Doubtful Steiner or the Yanks were trying to defraud anyone - Personally (and this is just me), I would not purchase a store model or replica bat as GU. There have been three recently of Pujols on eBay that I just looked at and shook my head. Though, it may be possible that the bat saw some sort of MLB action (even BP)...

I have heard something - and ROB STEINMETZ or JEFF SCOTT can correct me on this if I heard wrong...but I have heard stories about Albert using replica bats in games - or bats with no model number, etc. - and Albert is one picky dude when it comes to his bats. Again, Rob or Jeff, feel free to correct me. No worries.

Now, Steiner should know that a retail bat has the line under the 125 - and should make that notation on the LOA and any advertising materials. Some collectors like myself would prefer to not have a replica bat in our collections...it is too hard to prove legit game use, and even harder to re-sell if needed...Steiner letter or not.

My two bits. Regards.

Dave

JETEFAN
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
The point I am trying to make is that if this was being sold by anyone other than "Steiner" it would not be "oops" or just a mistake, we would be raking them over the coals. Bottom line is, like I've always said, just because it's Steiner does not make it the real deal, I've seen far too many bad items and mistakes!!!!! They do have great items, but by no means are they what they should be as far as product knowledge for whom they represent and what they charge.

commando
11-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Just curious... When did LS first start underlining model numbers on retail bats?

MSpecht
11-29-2007, 03:14 AM
The practice of stamping show bats ( manufactured primarily for autographs at memorabilia shows ) with an underlined 125 within the centerbrand was well established by the early 1990's. Note, however, that you will find examples of what appear to be much earlier labeling periods with the baselined 125 as H & B produced show bats which replicated the labeling and even model numbers identical to what a particular player used during his career. See the photo below from BATS , pg. 61.

H & B produces a variety of these replica bats, available through H & B, retailers, dealers, promoters, and collectors. They are obviously new bats made of new wood and are often stamped with as "S" or the baselined 125 noted above.

However, they did produce some replica bats without any 'souvenir' designation which, over the years, surfaced in the hobby as GU pro model bats. Remember, you cannot rely on labeling and model numbers alone ----focus on the quality and color of the wood, the quality of the game use, the source of the bat, and the experience and knowledge of others as well when considering a bat for your collection.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com