PDA

View Full Version : adirondacks?

momen55
11-25-2007, 10:37 PM
someone correct me because i think i am wrong. didn't these bats used from 68-70 not only have the teepee in the label but also have the ring in black for teams like the giants and pirates? didn't the ring color correspond to team color? i want to know because there is a bat on ebay that has the wrong color ring of blue when it should be black? did the giants use bats with blue rings?

MSpecht
11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
In 1968 Adirondack began the regular use of colored rings on the handle area of its bats. The rings often, but not always, match the predominant color of the player's team.

If you are discussing the McCovey bat that, in the photos, appears to have a blue ring, you may want to email the seller to discuss a few points. The description of the bat does not appear to match the photos, and the photos of the knob do not appear to be consistent with the bat which appears in the other photos. You may also want to ask him to verify the length of the bat compared to what it identified in the description. The labeling, from what can be seen in the photos, does not appear to be consistent with 1968-1970 Adirondack pro labeling.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

momen55
11-26-2007, 03:08 PM
hello mike;
i did email the seller with no response. it looks to be a retail bat to me. i pointed out that the knob is of another bat he is selling; it is a frank robinson bat. i question the P though. weren't those P302 bats retail? i had an Aaron retail that was P302 with a blue ring.

MSpecht
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
The use of the model number P302 in the labeling of Adirondack professional model bats began in 1984and appears in all professional Rawlings / Adirondack bats made from 1984 through 1986. P302 also appears in later center brand labels until 1989.

The seller of that particular bat added the accurate numbering on the knob to the listing, indicating that the knob reads 2163 ... That numbering on the knob is characteristic of a store model Adirondack and does not contain a pro model number (see page 64 of BATS by Malta, Riddell, Specht & Fox.)

Additionally, the seller did respond to my inquiry and confirmed that the bat is, in fact, 33 inches in length. That length is 1 1/2 inches less than the shortest order documented for McCovey throughout his entire career (H & B). Lengths of 35 1/2 and 36 inches were most characteristic of McCovey's bats.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com