PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

yanks12025
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi
I know how you guys tell us that we should stay away from ASI, Historic auctions and place like them. But do you think their items certified by PSA/DNA, jsa, mears, john taube. Are these items fine or should we just stay away total. Thanks

kilroy20
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I have been collecting for over 25 years and one thing I have found to be true, do your homework. Learn who you can trust and who you can't. Study photos, learn the marking on the bats, and trust your own eyes. Men like John Taube and others who had been in the hobby for years have a lot of knowledge. Talk to them and make up your own mind about their knowledge. John is a good man and I trust his knowledge. All these different groups have their people who are also good at what they do. Before going on blind faith, talk with them. If they are unwilling to talk about their background in the hobby, that is a problem. If you are new to the hobby, talk with those who have been doing it for years, but remember one thing; You are the final judge when you put your hard earned money down. As with most in the hobby, I have been burned too.

bigtruck260
11-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Usually by posting an item in this forum, you will find "niche" collectors are probably your most valuable resource. I have been surprised at the range of collectors that post here...some guys collect obscure commons, and other guys with fatter wallets search for the high end stuff. Each guy has his own poison, and can be invaluable if used properly.

One thing to remember though - once you post an item here, it is usually fair game...;). But more often than not, you will get several posts either picking it apart, or supporting it's legitimacy. I might take the chance, especially if you are dropping some coin.

Dave