PDA

View Full Version : How important is matching items with auction venues?

genius
11-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Do certain auction houses deliver higher prices for certain items? Will an old desirable flannel or bat do better at Hunt Auctions Louisville Slugger Auction than it will elsewhere? Will a Super Bowl game worn item do better at AMI's Super Bowl auction? Does a classic NBA or ABA item belong at GFC's Hall of Fame auction? Or can you put something up at Leland's or elsewhere and get pretty much the same result because collectors are looking at all of them? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

David
11-23-2007, 02:44 PM
If I had something big, like a Magic Johnson Michigan State Jersey or Ted Williams Flannel, I would pick one of the big auctions, ala Mastro, REA, Sotheby's, Lelands. This is because these auction houses get a big audience-- lots of eyes browsing the catalog. Some bidders may not be game used collectors, but stumble upon the Magic jersey. Within that, I would check past and current auctions to make sure the auction house specializes in that area-- offers lots of basketball stuff and gets decent prices. For example, Lelands would be a good place for an Roberto Clemente autograph or Ted Williams jersey, but they don't specialize in baseball cards. For a primo baseball card, you'd want to consign to some place like Mastro or REA that specializes in rare cards.

Of course, Game Used Universe has had game used auctions, with some fine items-- so I would be amiss to not mention our fine hosts.

DConLA
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I THINK PHOTO MATCHING IS GREAT IF YOU CAN GET IT.AND I THINK THE BEST AUCTION HOUSE TO SELL YOUR ITEM IS THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. SELLS YOUR ITEM GET'S THE MOST MONEY WITH NO FALSE PROMISES AND YOU GET PAID ON TIME.

DAN 323 257-4898 daniel248@earthlink,net