PDA

View Full Version : Authenticity of Items

cohibasmoker
02-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Chris, I have a suggestion to try and keep the gameusedforum somewhat respectable. Whenever an item is sold through the forum, whether it’s advertised as “game worn”, “game used” or “team issued”, whatever the designation is, the seller must provide the following.

- First, a letter of opinion from a legitimate authenticator: or,
- A letter of provenance from the seller outlining the history of the item. The letter must contain the seller’s name and address and a concise/lucid history of the item.

If the seller does not provide either of the above, the buyer can contact the forum. The seller would then be suspended from the forum for 30 days or until the letter of opinion/provenance is provided to the buyer.

The gameusedforum is a privilege. Let’s keep the forum a safe place to buy and sell. Let the junk stay on eBay.

Thanx,
Jim

ahuff
02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm not so sure I like the idea of having to provide a LOA from an authenticator - just seems like you would have to invest even more money into an item that you are trying to sell.

I do like the idea of letters detailing the history of the item complete with names (not really addresses), but certainly e-mail addresses and/or phone numbers.

Or perhaps another idea: Post photos and information about the jerseys at the time you are trying to sell them. That way, forum members who are educated in that particular field or team can provide their 2 cents based only on their experience. The only down side might be those who just want to chime in and blast a particular forum member or speak on things they don't truly know.

Honestly, I kinda like it the way it is now. This is a great forum with some great and knowledgeable members. What does everyone else think?

Yankwood
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't always believe COA's, LOA's all the time, anyway. You have to do your own homework or find people you think you might trust and go with your own gut. I know it's tough sometimes and I've probably been skeptical more often than not. In this hobby it seems like you learn by your mistakes alot. Who knows, maybe right this minute I'm sittin' in a room full of fake crap. I think I came on here wanting to say something and haven't said a damn thing. I'm gonna get off here now and think about this a little more.

G1X
02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Jim,

There are a number of reasons this would not work well. The most obvious in my humble opinion is that some collectors simply do not want nor depend on LOAs, COAs, etc. to begin with, so they do not insist on them when adding items to their collection. They rely on their own research and experience when making a purchase, and probably know more about the particular niche items they collect than most other collectors including authenticators. When these folks go to sell one of the items in their collection, they most likely do not have a COA or provenance.

The most glaring problem that would result is that when folks try to sell a $150 common in this Forum - and like many other collectors didn't get a COA or provenance at the time of their original purchase - they might end up spending more for the COA than the cost of the jersey!

Also keep in mind that COAs were virtually non-existent for many years in this hobby. It is not realistic to expect a collector who bought a "common" at a table at a show back in 1979 to have a COA or provenance. Obtaining one now only for the purpose to sell the jersey on this Forum just wouldn't make a lot of sense for the reason mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I continue to be amazed at how many collectors continue to look for COAs. It begs the question - Are you not performing your due dilligence? There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Take advantage of it. All you have to do is post your questions.

I also must ask - Are you buying the paper or the jersey? For those of you buying the paper, I have a whole drawer full of COAs for sale, complete with typos, wrong pictures, etc. that I have collected over the years. In other words, they are absolutely worthless!

Yankwood's second sentence sums it up best. Do your own research, deal with folks you trust, go with your gut feeling, and most important, become your own expert at what you collect.

Mark Hayne

trsent
02-07-2006, 12:38 AM
The forum's for sale boards are just that, and I cannot believe someone wants to regulate them. I generally don't use them myself, but it is buyer beware on them.

You cannot expect the forum moderators to regulate those forums with rules of letters, etc. I would think it would be a good idea for sellers to post photos, and if they will write a LOA if they do not have a 3rd party COA, that is a plus. Otherwise, it is buyer beware and use caution and your best judgment.

cohibasmoker
02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Mark,

To illustrate my point, I'll use you as an example. Sorry. I have purchased jerseys from you in the past. When I received the jerseys, there was a receipt with the jerseys. Guess what, if I were to sell one of your jerseys on the forum, my letter of provenance could read,

Washington Redskins jersey #00 purchased from Mark Hayne. See attached receipt #1234.

Of course the letter would be a tad more detailed but I think you get my point. I would then sign the letter and send it along with the jersey. Not really very hard. No money spent to have the letter done. The buyer would know exactly where the jersey came from.

You also wrote, Are you buying the paper or the jersey? If I see a jersey for sale and that jersey comes with a "Mark Hayne" signature on the receipt or LOA, the paper IS JUST AS IMPORTANT as the jersey.

My point is, lets keep the forum a step above eBay. Participation on the forum is a privilige. If the owners of this website want to regulate the site, it is their right to do so. If a person does not like it, let them go somewhere else or let them start-up and manage their own website.

trsent
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Ok, when Eric and Chris decide they want to regulate their site, then I'll go along with it. I can't imagine they want that headache.

Funny thing is your original posts recommends 3rd party authentication. Have you read how some of the users of these forums do not believe in such authentication? Ask Howard Wolf what he thinks that you wish to require a letter from GFC, MEARS, LL or whoever.

I know, the other option is for the seller to include their own letter. I went from COAs to LOAs about a year ago because of a discussion I started on the forum over it. I just think you are looking for something that is not going to happen anytime soon because you are then asking the moderators to regulate all for sale posts, and I believe they both have other business interest to spend their time on instead of regulating the for sale forum for your pleasure.

Again, let the buyer use caution. I know some Forest Gump quote would fit here, but I can't think of any right now.

I will be walking out the door to smoke an Occidental Reserve right now. My money saving alternative to Ashtons. :rolleyes: