PDA

View Full Version : GFC current auction

lund6771
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
is it just me or does it seem that their current auction is dissappointing in quality?...their basketball auctions have very rare items, but this one seems to be lacking so many of the typical rare items

is it just me?

Blitzmaster
11-21-2007, 04:52 AM
you mean like this fine item?? Tagged 97 even though Dat was playing at texas A&M at the time.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/largeimages/7513_b.jpg

G1X
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Blitzmaster,

NFL teams have historically "recycled" jerseys from previous seasons, and this practice is still seen in the modern era. A 1997 tagged jersey being worn in 1999 (Dat Nguyen was a rookie in 1999) would not be out of the question.

If I was interested in bidding on this jersey, my first step would be to find out if Dat Nguyen was ever assigned #90 during the era when the Cowboys wore Nike jerseys. Without performing detailed research, I was thinking that Dat Nguyen wore #59 during the regular season. (Alonzo Spellman wore #90 during Dat Nguyen's first two seasons in Dallas.)

My research would involve finding preseason and early season programs, or someone with Cowboys game videos from 1999 to see if Dat Nguyen ever wore #90 before being assigned #59. Perhaps there is a Cowboy fan or collector in this Forum who can answer this question.

The above exercise is not intended to reflect any opinion on this jersey, nor is it the only steps I would take in researching any jersey of interest. The intent is only to point out steps I would take to verify if Nguyen could have possibly been assigned #90.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

33bird
11-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I like quite a few items.
Greg

Blitzmaster
11-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Whoops!!!!!! I stand corrected. Found a picture of Dat in the #90 jersey(practice). Guess he went to number 59 before the season started. Not sure if the GF jersey was worn or just team-issued.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ag/4b/e9b7_1.JPG