PDA

View Full Version : Is this a game used jersey??

MGHProductions
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
I recently bought this jersey. I know nothing about hockey. It looks high quality and does not seem to be brand new. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Matt

both-teams-played-hard
11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
#16 would represent Bobby Clarke, a Phil. Flyers legend. He played in the 70s, so this is NOT a gamer, but a recent replica. WOW! I know more about hockey than I realized!

MGHProductions
11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi.. What makes this a replica jersey, not one from the 70's? Is it the tagging? Thanks for the info.
Matt

otismalibu
11-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm no hockey expert, but I'll add a couple comments.

Clarke did play into the 80s. I think he retired after the 83-84 season.

Wouldn't a gamer have a nameplate and not have the letters sewn directly onto the jersey?

The 1 and 6 were sewn onto the jersey differently. One has both layers of stitching going thru the jersey while the other only has the bottom layer of twill stitched thru. Maybe that's not a big deal, just struck me as odd.

Nathan
11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
The NHL shield didn't start appearing on the rear hem until the 1989-90 season. In addition, the Center Ice neck tagging didn't appear until....I'm sure Barry Meisel can give a more exact answer, but I think 1993.

Nathan
11-21-2007, 12:37 AM
As for "what teams did", a few sewed the name directly to the back (Hartford comes to mind), but most used nameplates. I can't speak directly about Philadelphia because that's outside my realm of vast knowledge.

I own a very nice CCM authentic from the 1984-85 season; it has the size stamped directly on the Maska AirKnit tag rather than being separate. It also has a "born-on tag" with the month and year", as well as a ribbon fight strap rather than the two-snap one seen here.

Barry Meisel has probably seen more jerseys customized by Gerry Cosby than anyone else, and Milt Byron and Stu Oxenhorn would be more than happy to fill your head with knowledge of old Flyers.

BarryMeisel
11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi GMH,

Sorry, but that is not a game-worn jersey ... for a variety of reasons.

1) Cosby's has never customized Philadelphia Flyers jerseys. The Cosby tag in the neck is a retail tag.

2) The NHL shield was not introduced to the game-worn jerseys until midway through the 1989-90 season, long after Clarke retired.

3) Flyers' game-worn jerseys had nameplates, not names sewn directly onto the jersey.

4) The CCM Maska wear tag in the neck is a 1990s wear tag.

Regards,

Barry Meisel, MeiGray

BarryMeisel
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Oops, I mean MGH. Mistyped. Sorry.

MGHProductions
11-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Thanks alot to everyone that responded. You learn something new everyday.
Thanks
Matt