PDA

View Full Version : Circa 1983 Ernie Camacho Brewers Jersey

commando
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I recently picked up this Brewers pinstripe jersey. You can still see "Camacho" outlined in yellow on the back where the name was removed. It has a medium Goodman & Sons size tag in the neck. The team name on front (3 inch letters) and numbers on back (8 1/4 inch numbers) are sewn on. The name on back was in 3 inch letters. The blue neck piping has faded or been bleached, and now appears mostly gray.

Ernie Camacho was a member of the Brewers organization from December 19, 192 until June 6, 1983, when he was traded to the Indians with Gorman Thomas and Jamie Easterly. He never appeared in a game with the Brewers, but played with the AAA Vancouver Canadians in 1983.

I am thinking this jersey may have been worn by Camacho in a photo shoot or spring training, then later used in the minors by another player. Anyone else have any ideas or input?

Thanks -- Anthony

gwh11
11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Camacho was invited to the Brewers spring training camp in early '83 as a non-roster player, so perhaps that was when this jersey came into play, so to speak.
Guy

hblakewolf
11-19-2007, 07:15 PM
The Brewers wore pullovers in 1983, and not manufactured by Goodmans.

2 MAJOR problems with this being a Milwaukee Brewers gamer.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

commando
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
The Brewers wore pullovers in 1983, and not manufactured by Goodmans.

2 MAJOR problems with this being a Milwaukee Brewers gamer.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Yes, and I know the team used numbers on their jersey fronts. I'm a bit puzzled on where this jersey originated.

ryan4fregosi
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
In addition, the Brewers didn't feature NOBs until around 1990 or so.

This looks like one of the Sunday-only retro jerseys Milwaukee sported this year...perhaps an oldtimers game, since Camacho wasn't on the coaching staff.