PDA

View Full Version : What's with the 2003 Morneau

sylbry
11-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Grey Flannel has one in their current auction.

According to Sports Collectors Digest, five others have been auctioned off since 2006. Not one Morneau from a different year (other than 2005 bp) has been auctioned according to SCD auction results.

Note: Only two of the five past jerseys specifically say "road" as is the current Grey Flannel. I didn't take the time to find out what the other three were as that really wasn't my question.

kingjammy24
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
several of them may be the same one. a certain 1995 jays molitor road jersey i know has been auctioned off 3 separate times in the past year.

if they're all different, i think it may possibly point to an "issue". off the top of my head, there are a bunch of jerseys that i just keep seeing over and over - '92 road pucketts, '98 home boggs, '92 and '93 road younts, '95 clemens. i'm constantly seeing them everywhere. right now, for example, there's a '98 home boggs in grey flannel's current auction, one in historic's current auction, and one for sale on eddolan.com and that's just what i've seen this month. you figure there are at least 8 or 9 more out there. did boggs really wear 12 home jerseys in 1998? unlikely.

i think trend spotting in populations/population reports can be very helpful. if you notice a glut of jerseys, you start to wonder why. i noticed a massive glut of "2 90" canseco home jerseys a long time ago and eventually realized they were scoreboard shirts. if i hadn't noticed the glut, i wouldn't have known and might've even bid. anyway, if you notice a glut i think it may point to a possible issue especially if it's an older jersey or rookie jersey. why do these gluts always pertain only to the superstars
and almost always to one specific style from one specific year?

while i'll agree that superstars probably go through more jerseys than common players solely by virtue of the fact that superstar jerseys are more likely to be stolen and given to charities, promotions, etc., it still doesn't explain why they're typically from a single, specific year and style. did puckett, for example, simply have more jerseys stolen or given away in 1992 than any other year? unlikely. were the only jerseys that were stolen/given away road jerseys? unlikely. you'd think the amounts from each year and style would be relatively even but they aren't. it's not even close.

the fact that you see gluts only from specific years and from specific styles (home or road) tends to suggest to me that someone managed to procure a bulk of team-issues from that year only and obviously had them made up as the most lucrative player.

when you start keeping population reports, i think you can start to spot some interesting trends. you notice gluts in certain years/styles that almost seem to be unexplainable under legit reasons.

rudy.

flightposite
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
What I don't get is how all these "spare" jerseys end up being stars and always end up in auction houses. No way would I ever buy a spare jersey thinking it was game used by the star name on the back.