PDA

View Full Version : Like A-Rod is the only "greedy" ballplayer...

murderers_row
11-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Would someone please post a list of players who aren't trying to make as much money as they possibly can?

(It shouldn't be hard to do, as it will be a very short list.)

Just saw in today's New York Times that the fans' golden boy Derek Jeter is in trouble with New York State and New York City regarding state and city income taxes. Seems he declared Florida (no income tax!) his home, but he spends most of his time at his residence in NYC! Ol' Derek wouldn't be trying to keep as much money as he possibly could, would he? At the expense of the City services that protect him and his property, like the Fire, Police, Health, and Sanitation Departments?

Nah. That would be greedy!

3arod13
11-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Would someone please post a list of players who aren't trying to make as much money as they possibly can?

(It shouldn't be hard to do, as it will be a very short list.)

Just saw in today's New York Times that the fans' golden boy Derek Jeter is in trouble with New York State and New York City regarding state and city income taxes. Seems he declared Florida (no income tax!) his home, but he spends most of his time at his residence in NYC! Ol' Derek wouldn't be trying to keep as much money as he possibly could, would he? At the expense of the City services that protect him and his property, like the Fire, Police, Health, and Sanitation Departments?

Stand by for a beatdown. You are talking negative about Derek Jeter, the golden Yankee who can't do any wrong in Yankee fans eyes. Heck, he can go 0-47 and yankee fans will still love him and justify why it's not a big deal.

Vintagedeputy
11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Jeter says his legal residence is in Florida, I believe him.

As far as I recall, if you lived in a place for 6 months or more out of the year, you "could" claim that as your residence. You can't claim 2 places as legal residences. If he really lives in Florida and keeps an apartment in NY from April to September, the tax man can go pound salt!

Jim

metsbats
11-16-2007, 10:27 PM
And every October since 2004 he was able to go back to Florida, his primary residence, two weeks earlier to pad his 6 month stay!

David

TNTtoys
11-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Believe it or not, there are many players in this day and age that are not driven completely by the mighty dollar...

For example...

take player A, who would rather play his entire career for 1 team than make a few dollars more to jump around... There are guys like this out there... Biggio, Ripken, Jeter, etc.

or player B, who is on the last year of his contract, and announces that he will happily take a pay cut to stay rather than go elsewhere. LoDuca rings to mind with this scenario.

or player C, who is offered more money by team A but opts to play for team B because it is in his home city or closer to his family. John Olerud after the 1999 season is the perfect example.

I am sure I can find MANY examples if I gave this more than a few moments' thought...

Vintagedeputy
11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
And every October since 2004 he was able to go back to Florida, his primary residence, two weeks earlier to pad his 6 month stay!

David

David,

You are a cruel, cruel man! :)

cough, 7 game lead, cough, cough.......

sorry, something was stuck in my throat.....taste like goat.

Jim

murderers_row
11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Jeter says his legal residence is in Florida, I believe him.

As far as I recall, if you lived in a place for 6 months or more out of the year, you "could" claim that as your residence. You can't claim 2 places as legal residences. If he really lives in Florida and keeps an apartment in NY from April to September, the tax man can go pound salt!

Jim

Duh! Really. Jim? How did New York not pick up on somthin' that simple? I guess the state's lawyers should talk to you--you'll straighten it out.

Or maybe the point New York's makin' is that Jete spends more time there than he does in Florida. That regardless of what he says, he actually lives in New York.

But wait. That couldn't be. Jeter would never, ever, stretch the truth.

metsbats
11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
David,

You are a cruel, cruel man! :)

cough, 7 game lead, cough, cough.......

sorry, something was stuck in my throat.....taste like goat.

Jim

Touche!

murderers_row
11-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Believe it or not, there are many players in this day and age that are not driven completely by the mighty dollar...

For example...

take player A, who would rather play his entire career for 1 team than make a few dollars more to jump around... There are guys like this out there... Biggio, Ripken, Jeter, etc.

or player B, who is on the last year of his contract, and announces that he will happily take a pay cut to stay rather than go elsewhere. LoDuca rings to mind with this scenario.

or player C, who is offered more money by team A but opts to play for team B because it is in his home city or closer to his family. John Olerud after the 1999 season is the perfect example.

I am sure I can find MANY examples if I gave this more than a few moments' thought...

Not that many. I never said it would be an empty list, I said it would be a short list.

And it is. It's certainly no stretch to say that at least 90% of major leaguers are as "greedy" as A-Rod.

They just don't have the talent he does, and can't make near the money that he can.

Vintagedeputy
11-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Duh! Really. Jim? How did New York not pick up on somthin' that simple? I guess the state's lawyers should talk to you--you'll straighten it out.

Or maybe the point New York's makin' is that Jete spends more time there than he does in Florida. That regardless of what he says, he actually lives in New York.

But wait. That couldn't be. Jeter would never, ever, stretch the truth.

At first I was unsure as to how I should reply to your sarcastic retort.

Then I realized that you began your post with the word "duh". It quickly dawned on me that you are only up this late because its not a school night. I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

You call yourself "murderers row" so I assume that you have some history of being a Yankee fan. Even the most casual Yankee fan knows that Derek Jeter is one of the most honest decent ballplayers on the planet. He is the poster child for the all around nice guy.

Are you casting the first stone, murderers row?
Jim

murderers_row
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
I have probably been a Yankee fan longer than you've been alive.
And I like Jeter, and he is one of the best.

But I'm sick to death of this black-and white interpretation in which everything that Jeter does is wonderful, and everything that Rodriguez does is selfish and greedy.

Neither of them are perfect.

And ever since there's been someone on the team more highly skilled than Jeter, and what's worse, commonly acknowledged as more highly skilled, he's behaved like a petulant child.

Is that casting the first stone?

Vintagedeputy
11-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I have probably been a Yankee fan longer than you've been alive.
And I like Jeter, and he is one of the best.

But I'm sick to death of this black-and white interpretation in which everything that Jeter does is wonderful, and everything that Rodriguez does is selfish and greedy.

Neither of them are perfect.

And ever since there's been someone on the team more highly skilled than Jeter, and what's worse, commonly acknowledged as more highly skilled, he's behaved like a petulant child.

Is that casting the first stone?

Please tell me how Jeter has behaved like a "petulant child" ?

murderers_row
11-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm not going to go into the Jeter-Rodriguez dysfunctional relationship; it's been covered in the New York papers far better than I could ever hope to present it.

Suffice it to say that Jeter's coldness towards A-Rod, and its negative effect on the team, has received quite a bit of coverage in New York.

As the Ol' Perfessor used to say, "You could look it up."

(And, BTW, if NYC, where I was born, raised, and still maintain a residence, says Jeter legally resides there, I believe it.)

allstarsplus
11-17-2007, 08:22 AM

I just heard that NYC and the State are trying to collect from Mr. Jeter for the tax years 2001-2003. There was no mention of 2004, 2005, and 2006 tax years.

Does anyone know the full story as I was wondering what State of Residence DJ claimed for 2004 to present?

Thanks. Andrew

bigtime59
11-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Ah, turmoil in the Bronx.
"We control the endle$$ river of ca$h! All World $eries are ours! That's the way it's supposed to be! If a Yankee$ player says he lives in Florida, then he lives in Florida...even though, compared to NYC all other places are festering backwater s***holes no one in their right mind would want to live in! We have a shortstop playing third! A second baseman playing shortstop! It doesn't matter! We're the Yankee$ and the trophies are ours, dammit! Haven't you peasants heard of the divine right of Yankee$?"