PDA

View Full Version : Lampson Authenticating For Guu???

DoctorLoomis
11-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Does the auction here on GUU use Lampson as an authenticator?

Vintagedeputy
11-16-2007, 07:12 AM
oh geez I hope not!

ChrisCavalier
11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Does the auction here on GUU use Lampson as an authenticator?
Hello Joseph,

Game Used Universe has created a transaction model that we termed "next generation" because we believe that is exactly what it is. It is a model that uses multiple layers of evaluation to serve as a check and balance against the inappropriate representation of an item. It is a system that enables collectors to get information on unprecedented levels and one that protects collectors from the inaccurate representation of items being sold.

The positive feedback we received from rolling out this model has been tremendous. However, I can also tell from questions like the one above that some people still aren't aware of our model or those involved with GUU. Therefore, I will post here a section from the GUU Terms and Conditions entitled "A Word About Authenticity and Item Legitimacy" that will hopefully make things a little clearer to those who are still unfamiliar with GUU's auction model:

In our estimation, there are extremely few instances where one can deduce with 100% certainty that an item is game used by a specific player. In fact, absent someone witnessing the item being used by a player and then having that item handed to them directly, there is no way to really get to 100% certainty. For example, you may acquire an item from a friend who said they got an item directly from a player and that they personally witnessed the item in use. In this example, your opinion of the person's integrity who is giving you the item may allow you to feel close to 100% certain the item is game used. However, the only person who is 100% certain is the person who actually witnessed the item being used and was able to personally witness the trail of ownership to them. Once it leaves that person, no other person can get to 100% certainty. Subsequent owners may feel they are close to 100% certain but they can never get all the way there.

Therefore, since most people do not witness items being used and then have the item handed directly to them, the verification process involves the evaluation of various data to determine the probability of an item being game used. For years game used memorabilia collectors have relied almost exclusively on the opinions of a select few to determine whether or not an item is legitimate. When you think about it, it seems strange to assume that a limited number of people can know everything about every item. One might also wonder why, in a world of vast resources available in an age of information technology, the memorabilia industry hasn't tried to come up with a better way to validate items that are offered in the marketplace. Game Used Universe has considered these exact questions and has come up with a system of transacting items that addresses many of the inherent problems of the current model.

Since its creation in 2005, Game Used Universe has helped game used collectors make more informed decisions about items they may be interested in purchasing. GUU has invested a great deal of resources providing valuable content and creating a social network where information is freely shared among collectors. Now, with the launch of GUU Auctions, buyers will be protected against the sale of fake and suspect merchandise in ways that have never been done before.

In the Game Used Universe model, there is not an exclusive reliance on the opinions of a limited number of people. In fact, the Game Used Universe model uses multiple layers of evaluation that serves as a check and balance against the inappropriate representation of an item. It is a system that enables collectors to get information on unprecedented levels and one that protects collectors from the inaccurate representation of items being sold.

Items being sold in Game Used Universe's auctions will first be evaluated by people like Rob Steinmetz, Mike Specht, Jim Caravello, Darrell O'Mary and other highly recognized industry experts who contribute to the GUU site. Not only are these individuals extremely knowledgeable in their areas of expertise, they are, equally important, people who operate with the highest level of integrity. Their input on GUU Auction items will provide collectors with assurances and information generally not found in the industry. Further, the Game Used Universe model doesn't stop there. Game Used Universe has also developed its own custom software where each and every item in its auction will have a "thread' created for it that will allow collectors to ask questions and for those questions to be answered by, not only GUU evaluators, but anyone in the massive GUU community who has substantiated knowledge about a specific item.

Basically, Game Used Universe believes there are people in its community with more knowledge in specific areas than anyone else. For example, there are individuals in the Game Used Universe community who are true experts regarding memorabilia relating to specific teams (say the St. Louis Cardinals or Denver Broncos) or types of memorabilia (such as baseball bats or football helmets). While Game Used Universe's evaluators will provide extensive initial evaluations to help protect collectors, the GUU auction software will also allow collectors ask questions publicly and allow anyone in the GUU community with useful information to provide answers. This system of fully disclosing all information for collectors to use in their purchasing decisions has never existed before.

In the end, there should never be a situation in GUU's auctions where someone buys an item without fully being aware of what they are buying. The Game Used Universe system itself will make sure of it. If a collector is unsure of something, all they need to do is ask. And, if an item is illegitimate, questionable or misrepresented, there is little to no chance of making it through Game Used Universe's system without being identified. As people who are using its site already know, Game Used Universe has been instrumental in helping protect collectors from many of the problems in the market. The GUU transaction model will only be taking things a step further in ways never done before.

Lastly, please note that GUU Auctions is also intended to eliminate the potential "conflicts of interest" that exist with the exclusive reliance on a select few to tell others whether or not an item is legitimate. Game Used Universe has invested deeply in creating its transaction system to help improve the process of item verification and authentication and trust collectors will find value in the new system. Please use the system to its fullest as it is designed to make sure collectors do not find themselves in the unenviable position of owning items that turn out to be something other than what they thought they were.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Chris

bigjimsguitars
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I bought or was the winning bidder on 2 items, one being a Andre Ethier Game Used Max Bat. I was able to perfectly photo-match the bat within 20 minutes as the MLB authentication (it came with) put me in close proximity to the actual usage dates.

Sure, I could have got/won a similiar item with MLB provenance from another auction or site. However, there was piece of mind knowing that it had been vetted by respected experts without bias or financial gain.

Moreover, I felt confident that my "Ceiling" bids were not compromised as on both items I won, I was under my "Ceiling" bids. Does that mean that GUU didn't get top dollar and that the clients should complain? No, just the opposite as the prices achieved were reflective of the true marketplace and in the end that can only benefit all parties to the transaction.

In my short acquaintance with GUU I've had the pleasure of personal interactions with Chris, Rob and Jim and all have been great experiences, as well as received incalculable knowledge and advise from many of those you participate in the forum itself.

Cordially,
Jim Mead