PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod and Yankees have outline of $275 million, 10-year deal

3arod13
11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home-run record.

I wasn't happy with Arod opted out of his contract. However, I am happy he will remain a Yankee.

I believe with a 10 year contract, the future is great for Arod, the Yankees, and Yankee fans.

I'm excited and can't wait for next year!

http://baseball-fever.com/images/misc/progress.gif

kellsox
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home-run record.

I wasn't happy with Arod opted out of his contract. However, I am happy he will remain a Yankee.

I believe with a 10 year contract, the future is great for Arod, the Yankees, and Yankee fans.

I'm excited and can't wait for next year!

http://baseball-fever.com/images/misc/progress.gif

10 more years of putting up big #s in the regular season and not showing up in the post season. The future is great for the Red Sox.
kelly

3arod13
11-15-2007, 08:26 PM
10 more years of putting up big #s in the regular season and not showing up in the post season. The future is great for the Red Sox.
kelly

Let it go! I believe with Arod now being with the Yankees for 10 years, he has nothing to worry about but playing and will do better during the Post Season!

kellsox
11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
What did he have to worry about before this contract? If I remember correctly he opted out of a guaranteed contract that had him as the highest paid player only to "resign" for more years and more $. It doesn;t look like much has changed to me.
Kelly

joelsabi
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
I am glad he is returning a Yankee. I think he has some unfinished business as a Yankees and Steinbrenner II came across as a very strong owner. I hope he goes after Johan Santana next.

whatupyos
11-15-2007, 09:09 PM
10 more years of no World Series appearances for the Yankees!!! I love it!!! And I'm not a Red Sox or Yankee fan so there! I'm all about the small market Oakland A's! #1 AROD has never known the feeling of playing in the World Series and if his streak keeps up, he won't know for another 10 years. #2 here we go with choking in playoff time...lets pay the guy more money to no show in the playoffs. What was it again 5 K's this year? 1 RBI. The thing I don't understand is, someone making 25.2Million a season, who opts out and signed for roughly 1.8 million more a season as an average? Am I the only one who doesn't understand this? As is 25.2 million isn't enough, you want 1.8 million more. So there is potential for setting the HR record, if he stays healthy enough to do it, looks like he will, so he can make more, thats fine and dandy, but why didn't he just sign an extention? Finish out what you started, then add on. He already has more money then probably 3 generation of ARODS can spend in a lifetime. I'm just a big proponent of being honest and finishing what you start, thats why I have a problem with it. I understand he has the option to opt out if its in his contract, but its more respectable to finish what you signed x amount of years ago. He's getting plenty to play a game! But I fault ownership who is ridiculous enough to give him what he wants.

geoff
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I would have rather seen him in Boston.That is where I thought he was going.

TNTtoys
11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't understand this? As is 25.2 million isn't enough, you want 1.8 million more.

The deal looks settled at 10 years; 275 million (with incentives). AROD forfeits the $81M he would have made over the next 3 seasons (his contract was back-loaded; he did not make a straight $25.2 per year for 10 years).

So basically, he gets a 7 year extension for 194 million... or $27.7M per year... If I read this one correctly, he gets a $700,000 raise for the next 7 years and at the same time, the "opting out" costs the Yankees $21 million.

One has to think that AROD could have taken home half if not more of that 21M if he didn't let the greed get to him??? I hope this 21M was taken into account when the final offer was presented, or the Yankees lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. And AROD is still greedy and self-motivated in my eyes. He lost a lot of fans by what he did and how he did it... and in the end hardly stood to benefit at all by it. It would not have taken a whole lot to speak to the Yankees a month ago when they asked him to. The fans can't be that stupid not to see through all of this... Nevertheless, they are stuck with him, and unfortunately will need to turn yet another blind eye to his antics. Hopefully for their sake he shows up the next time the Yankees make the postseason (which for all intents and purposes, I don't think will be 2008).

joelsabi
11-16-2007, 12:42 AM
was definitely a miscalculation by boras. in the end, ankees got rodriguez at their price, arod remains a yankee and boras got his percentage. its all good.

bigtime59
11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
If ever a team and a player deserved each other, it's Miss Pay-Rod and the Yankee$.
For Miss Pay-Rod, it's all about the money, and for the Yankee$, it's only money. They can find enough to pay Miss Pay-Rod simply by looking under the couch cushions in the YES reception area.
The endle$$ river of ca$h that runs through the Bronx belches up its latest atrocity. At least Tom Hicks is happy.

TNTtoys
11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
was definitely a miscalculation by boras. in the end, ankees got rodriguez at their price, arod remains a yankee and boras got his percentage. its all good.
Are we forgetting that the Rangers are now off the hook for paying the Yankees 21 million dollars? This is hardly "their price." The fact that Cashman reiterated over and over that the Yankees will not even talk to Rodriguez if he were to pull this stunt does either of the following for me:

1. Ruins their credibility as an organization -- in the end, their word doesn't matter whatsoever.
2. The Yankees were probably prepared to pay as much as $295M for the 10 years and are making AROD eat the money he cost them by opting out.

Either way, I believe that this entire scenario unfolded in a way that AROD thought he was going to be offered well into the 300 millions by an assortment of different teams. When this didn't happen, he figured that he could make more $$$ with the Yankees... so he crawled back. Greed wins in the end no matter how you slice this deal.

murderers_row
11-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Would someone please post a list of players who aren't trying to make as much money as they possibly can?

(It shouldn't be hard to do, as it will be a very short list.)

Just saw in today's New York Times that the fans' golden boy Derek Jeter is in trouble with New York State and New York City regarding state and city income taxes. Seems he declared Florida (no income tax!) his home, but he spends most of his time at his residence in NYC! Ol' Derek wouldn't be trying to keep as much money as he possibly could, would he? At the expense of the City services that protect him and his property, like the Fire, Police, Health, and Sanitation Departments?

Nah. That would be greedy!

allstarsplus
11-17-2007, 05:34 PM
The deal looks settled at 10 years; 275 million (with incentives). AROD forfeits the $81M he would have made over the next 3 seasons (his contract was back-loaded; he did not make a straight $25.2 per year for 10 years).

So basically, he gets a 7 year extension for 194 million... or $27.7M per year... If I read this one correctly, he gets a $700,000 raise for the next 7 years and at the same time, the "opting out" costs the Yankees $21 million.

One has to think that AROD could have taken home half if not more of that 21M if he didn't let the greed get to him??? I hope this 21M was taken into account when the final offer was presented, or the Yankees lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. And AROD is still greedy and self-motivated in my eyes. He lost a lot of fans by what he did and how he did it... and in the end hardly stood to benefit at all by it. It would not have taken a whole lot to speak to the Yankees a month ago when they asked him to. The fans can't be that stupid not to see through all of this... Nevertheless, they are stuck with him, and unfortunately will need to turn yet another blind eye to his antics. Hopefully for their sake he shows up the next time the Yankees make the postseason (which for all intents and purposes, I don't think will be 2008).

This new revelation is interesting that BILLIONAIRE WARREN BUFFETT had his hand in this:

Buffett Advised A-Rod to Go Around Boras

Associated Press
Posted: 2007-11-17 16:13:46

NEW YORK (AP) - Warren Buffett advised Alex Rodriguez to approach the New York Yankees and go around agent Scott Boras, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

The newspaper cited a person familiar with the matter, whom it did not identify.

"A-Rod really loves being a Yankee," Buffett was quoted as saying. He wouldn't comment on the substance of any discussions with the player.

The two became friends several years ago.

Rodriguez, on Boras' advise, opted out of the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract on Oct. 28. The Yankees had said many times that if he opted out, they wouldn't negotiate because they would lose $21.3 million from Texas for the final three seasons that was agreed to at the time of the 2004 trade, money to offset the $72 million New York owed from 2008-10.

Upset with developments after he opted out, Rodriguez contacted Buffett, and the investor told him to approach the Yankees without his agent, the Journal said.

After speaking with the investor, Rodriguez contacted a managing director at Goldman Sachs that he knew, John Mallory, who then got in touch with Gerald Cardinale, a Goldman Sachs managing director who has worked with the Yankees and their YES Network.

With the assistance of the two Goldman executives, Rodriguez and the Yankees negotiated a $275 million, 10-year contract that is in the process of being finalized.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

11/17/2007 15:48 ET

joelsabi
11-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Are we forgetting that the Rangers are now off the hook for paying the Yankees 21 million dollars? This is hardly "their price." The fact that Cashman reiterated over and over that the Yankees will not even talk to Rodriguez if he were to pull this stunt does either of the following for me:

1. Ruins their credibility as an organization -- in the end, their word doesn't matter whatsoever.
2. The Yankees were probably prepared to pay as much as $295M for the 10 years and are making AROD eat the money he cost them by opting out.

Either way, I believe that this entire scenario unfolded in a way that AROD thought he was going to be offered well into the 300 millions by an assortment of different teams. When this didn't happen, he figured that he could make more $$$ with the Yankees... so he crawled back. Greed wins in the end no matter how you slice this deal.

The Yankees do not lose credibility. They were given the discount of what they lost (Texas cut) . Steinbrenner II looked strong and stood his ground. Never say never is bad business.