PDA

View Full Version : Anyone that has purchased from the Cardinals winter warmup..

TFig27
11-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Question -I just recently purchased turf shoes that originated from the Cardinals winter warmup. I was wondering if they put clear tape with the players last name on items?
I don't think this would be done by the player since his number is already on there.
I think the Cardinals do this to keep track of items.

Let me know if anybody has any insight
thanks

Tom

Birdbats
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the Cardinals Care staff did that. I've seen names written on Scotch tape and stuck to knobs of bats with no numbers. It's one way that volunteers (who don't necessarily know players by their numbers or signatures) can quickly identify items.

TFig27
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Jeff,
thanks a lot for the reply. i was going to email you if no one responded.

they are tino martinez turf shoes with his "21" on them. they had martinez on scotch tape on the back. i peeled it off as it didnt look like it was used with the tape on there.

thanks a lot for the help as it was exactly the info i was looking for.

Tom

bigtruck260
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
At least you have an identifier.

I stopped buying hats from the Warmup after digging through a bin of gamers. I was told to bring a list of numbers since they were all the same price, and the only way to identify them was on the hat.

My right arm smelled hideous after fighting for a non-numbered signed hat from Matt Morris.

Dave

TFig27
11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I purchased it from someone that did the digging. They said its a mad dash once the doors open.But, the "21" matches Tino style writing from his bats.
At least you were able to wash away the hideous smell...hopefully

Birdbats
11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I was told to bring a list of numbers since they were all the same price, and the only way to identify them was on the hat.

Even that's not fool-proof. Some of those items can be several years old. Remember that when you're wrestling for that cap with #5 on the underbill -- you could be risking life and limb for a Thomas Howard lid.

cigarman44
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Plan on hitting the Winter Warm-Up this year. Pretty excited. All the people I talked to said Pujols wasnt too friendly last year and he left early.

stlbats
11-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Hello all,
I have attended the Winter Warm up the last several years and its always a good time, but very crowded. Pujols is always been somewhat rude from my experiences.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

bigtruck260
11-14-2007, 10:52 AM
I think we were told that he had to catch a plane to the Dominican. I think he is fed up with collectors in general. Personally, and this is just my opinion, it is the STL atomosphere. In NY or LA he would not be mobbed or hounded for 'graphs every time he goes out for a jog. In STL, we treat our ballplayers like Gods, kings, etc. More important than the president. Maybe that is warped, but I have seen Vince Coleman mobbed at a golf course.

Albert really is a nice guy by all accounts, but I think he is not fond of the secondary market. He is pretty sure that all of those $150 autos he sells at the Warmup are going to be listed on eBay for twice that in the days following.

I could care less. He is a performer, and does plenty of civic duty to offset the attitude.

If anyone plans to attend from out of town, contact me, and we'll hit a bar or have some lunch.

Dave