PDA

View Full Version : GFC 1982 Vida Blue Jersey

Eric
11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Lon Lewis posted about this jersey in another thread. I have posted his comment here

Today, 10:21 PM
lon lewis

Re: Grey Flannel - 1975 Reggie Jackson jersey
Rudy,
What took you so long on this one Also of note is the 1982 S.F Giants Vida Blue "game worn '" orange jersey It must have been a rough commute to play for two teams at the same time since he was traded to K.C. in March of '82.

Eric
11-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Here are some pics of the jersey being offered.

Lot # 24 - 1982 Vida Blue San Francisco Giants Game-Used Road Jersey

item description
Vida Blue was a six time All Star, and won both the AL Cy Young and AL MVP in 1972. Embroidered in black on an orange patch on the front left tail is "14 82" indicating player number and year. The team name "Giants" appears across the chest. Below that and on the back is the player number "14." The player name "VIDA" appears on an orange nameplate. All lettering and numbering is done in black on white tackle twill. The "Wilson" manufacturer's tag appears inside the back of the collar with jersey size "42" and wash instructions. The jersey shows good game-use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

http://greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?CategoryNum=2&Lot=24

Eric
11-09-2007, 11:21 PM

kingjammy24
11-10-2007, 12:05 AM
blue was traded to the royals on march 30, 1982. the sf giants began their season in 1982 on april 6, 1982.

"The jersey shows good game-use"

"All of our jersey authenticators are under the incredibly discerning eye of Nick Coppola, who has been collecting jerseys over 30 years and has carefully and separately looked at every game-used jersey in this auction"

"There is very little science to authenticating in this hobby, mostly opinion."

maybe the fact that blue was traded before the '82 season even began is simply an opinion. maybe it's nick coppola's opinion that blue didn't get traded and that he played the full '82 season with the giants and that's how the jersey shows "good game-use". if coppola seriously examined the blue jersey and the dave henderson jersey and gave them a thumbs up, then that's pretty frightening.

what a racket.

rudy.

mvandor
11-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Perhaps we should have a seperate forum for each auction house so it's easier to see who you can reasonably put some faith in as an honest operation, and who finding a legit item from is more like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

cohibasmoker
11-10-2007, 08:15 AM
blue was traded to the royals on march 30, 1982. the sf giants began their season in 1982 on april 6, 1982.

"The jersey shows good game-use"

"All of our jersey authenticators are under the incredibly discerning eye of Nick Coppola, who has been collecting jerseys over 30 years and has carefully and separately looked at every game-used jersey in this auction"

"There is very little science to authenticating in this hobby, mostly opinion."

maybe the fact that blue was traded before the '82 season even began is simply an opinion. maybe it's nick coppola's opinion that blue didn't get traded and that he played the full '82 season with the giants and that's how the jersey shows "good game-use". if coppola seriously examined the blue jersey and the dave henderson jersey and gave them a thumbs up, then that's pretty frightening.

what a racket.

rudy.

Grey Flannel - The Standard of The Industry

lon lewis
11-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Rudy,

Would you please send me your email address.

kingjammy24
11-11-2007, 12:36 AM
jersey has been removed. apparently it's not simply an opinion that blue was traded before the season began. what do you know, there may be some science to this crazy stuff afterall.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
11-11-2007, 02:37 AM
what do you know, there may be some science to this crazy stuff afterall.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2858/vidablueprofessordv4.jpg (http://both-teams-played-hard.com)

33bird
11-11-2007, 10:54 AM
BTPH-great photo. That's the Gilligan's Island dude right? Where do you come up with this stuff? Always a hoot.
Greg

kingjammy24
11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
not that it matters, but just to add a little more insult to injury, the jersey is also missing the 25th anniversary patch that the giants wore on the left sleeve of their home, road, and orange alt jerseys in 1982.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8010/padresmg7.jpg

unbelievable really. player didn't even play for the giants in '82, jersey is missing a patch, yet GFC gives it a thumbs up and says "good game use". the jersey wasn't even properly prepped for game use! to call it gross negligence is an understatement. they didn't even bother to check a roster. given that the jersey wasn't even game-issued, it does make me wonder where all that great game use came from.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
11-11-2007, 11:54 PM
BTPH-great photo. That's the Gilligan's Island dude right? Where do you come up with this stuff? Always a hoot.
Greg
I have a recurring dream where I'm in Molecular Biology class. The Professor is my teacher and Vida is my lab partner. I do all the work and Vida takes the credit.:)

Does anyone think this jersey was made for Vida in the Spring and never used? Is this the true definition for "Team Issued" or is it a forgery?