PDA

View Full Version : NFL Auction PSA/DNA COA

toddhead
11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Are the PSA/DNA COAs that come with NFL Auctions pointless? I am looking at purchasing a jersey that has a cert and when I typed it in it didn't come up so I called PSA/DNA. I talked to a rep and she looked at the auction on e-bay and said it looks good, the autograph is authentic. I told her that there was no autograph on the jersey and the cert was for the actual jersey from NFL auctions. I asked her if the cert showed who the jersey was attributed to and she said that their certs were just for autographs and the cert I was talking about was for the NFL. Confused? So was I, so I gave up.

Did I just talk to the wrong person? Do the certs specifically state who the jersey is attributed to or are they just to show that it was from an NFL auction? The jersey I am looking at is a practice jersey attributed to a marquee player.

toddhead
11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I just called again and they said once I purchased the jersey I would have to send it in to get a full letter of authenticity???? I think they are clueless.

sammy
11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
PSA/DNA does not certify jerseys or other game worn items. They only certify in two areas, autographs and baseball bats.

What is probably referred to in the auction is a PSA/DNA auction house letter for an autograph, even though you state there isn't one. These letters are not numbered or in their database, hence the clueless employee.

PSA/DNA auction house letters were the only PSA/DNA authentication letters given out for years by all the auction houses that used PSA/DNA. There was never any problems with these or selling with these.

Ever since Jimmy Spence left PSA/DNA, auction house letters have become the new money maker for both of them. They note on their letters that these are "only" auction house letters and if you want a full letter, you have to send that one in and a nice sum of additional money.

A lot of people have fallen for this garbage, and send in the additional fee for a photo on the letter, sticker on the item, notation (maybe) on a database.

If auction house letters are not as good as before, as the authentication scamming companies want you to believe, why do all the auction houses still issue these letters with most of their autographed items, and why were these letters considered as good as a full letter for many years, until Spence became their competition?

I never never known one of these letters to be rejected for full authentication, nor do I know anyone who has.

These letters are just as good at the original purpose, authenticating an autograph.

Don't be fooled into throwing more money for this scam.

RKGIBSON
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
They most certainly are not worthless. I do see a lot of auction with PSA-DNA numbers listed that are stating something is game used and when you look them up they are only a autographed item.

Attached are 3 of my jerseys, from the NFL with PSA-DNA tags. Look them up and see how they are saying they are game used. I believe according to the info provided them the more detailed the info. Some have pictures of the item. If it does not say game used assume it is not.

Roger

beantown
11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
PSA/DNA does not certify jerseys or other game worn items. They only certify in two areas, autographs and baseball bats.

What is probably referred to in the auction is a PSA/DNA auction house letter for an autograph, even though you state there isn't one. These letters are not numbered or in their database, hence the clueless employee.

PSA/DNA auction house letters were the only PSA/DNA authentication letters given out for years by all the auction houses that used PSA/DNA. There was never any problems with these or selling with these.

Ever since Jimmy Spence left PSA/DNA, auction house letters have become the new money maker for both of them. They note on their letters that these are "only" auction house letters and if you want a full letter, you have to send that one in and a nice sum of additional money.

A lot of people have fallen for this garbage, and send in the additional fee for a photo on the letter, sticker on the item, notation (maybe) on a database.

If auction house letters are not as good as before, as the authentication scamming companies want you to believe, why do all the auction houses still issue these letters with most of their autographed items, and why were these letters considered as good as a full letter for many years, until Spence became their competition?

I never never known one of these letters to be rejected for full authentication, nor do I know anyone who has.

These letters are just as good at the original purpose, authenticating an autograph.

Don't be fooled into throwing more money for this scam.

Not true...several years ago, NFL Auctions was auctioning off a Tom Brady Game Cut AFC Pro Bowl Jersey on Ebay that I won. The jersey offered was not signed, yet it came with an PSA/DNA COA. If I query the certification # on the PSA/DNA website, it states it doesn't exist?? Oh well, I still have a game cut jersey from the best QB in the NFL!

sammy
11-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Just checked their web site for the services offered, and according to that, PSA/DNA only authenticates photos, autographs, bats, and the grading of these items.

There are not any statements concerning jerseys, uniforms, or any other game worn items.

http://www.psadna.com/servicelist.chtml (http://www.psadna.com/servicelist.chtml)

toddhead
11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Roger,

Can you e-mail me at mtm@honorcoins.com?

Thanks
Todd

RKGIBSON
11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
irestorecars@ sbcglobal.net

toddhead
11-06-2007, 08:48 PM
irestorecars@ sbcglobal.net

e-mail sent

dirkjohnson
11-07-2007, 09:51 AM
toodhead,

what jersey on ebay is it?

CollectGU
11-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Just checked their web site for the services offered, and according to that, PSA/DNA only authenticates photos, autographs, bats, and the grading of these items.

There are not any statements concerning jerseys, uniforms, or any other game worn items.

http://www.psadna.com/servicelist.chtml (http://www.psadna.com/servicelist.chtml)

There is an agreement between the NFL and PSA to have them mark each NFL game used and autographed item sold via NFL auctions with the their DNA strand marking technology. They are not actually authenticating the game use simply marking it, catalogueing it and hologramming it and adding it to their database.

David
11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
That was my impression also, that PSA/DNA marked and cataloged the game used items for the NFL Auctions, kind of like at an in person signing or with Steiner for the Yankees. Besides, the NFL * PSA/DNA COAs (if that's what we are talking about) are for the NFL Auctions so show the items came from the NFL.

David
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
It should be noted that many sports organizations use outside companies to handle, or help handle, auctions and sales of memorabilia-- MeiGrei, Steiner, MLB uses an accounting firm for their stuff. So it may simply be that NFL Auctions hired PSA/DNA to oversee the auctions, just as the Yankees use Steiner to handle sales. I know both the NFL and MLB had PSA/DNA invisibly mark important game balls.

David
11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
One last addition (like WWI and WWII, my posts are a continuation of the last post). I didn't mean to imply that PSA/DNA actually sold the stuff, but likely was a hired, independent party likely used by the NFL to tag, catalog and COA-ize the items for the auction. This is likely because PSA/DNA is experienced in doing that kind of stuff, and that the NFL may have wanted an third party to catalog the items. MLB requires an outside accounting firm to catalog their game used and autographed items, specifically so there is an independent firm involved in the process. It's unlikely that the accounting firm is a expert in game used baseball jerseys, but knows how to catalog and database items in an impartial way.