PDA

View Full Version : when will the forsale fourm be back

kj33706
11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
since the auction is over when can we post items for sale again please let em know i have bats i would like to sell or trade

ChrisCavalier
11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
since the auction is over when can we post items for sale again please let em know i have bats i would like to sell or trade
Hello Everyone,

As previously mentioned, we are in the process of updating the Items For Sale area and will release it in the coming weeks. We will also announce the specifics of the platform shortly. One of the key aspects will be that items listed for sale on the site will need to include images and descriptions and potential buyers will have the ability to ask questions so they can make informed decisions about items of interest.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,
Chris

camarokids
11-06-2007, 08:43 AM
not trying to bust anybodies balls , but why not put up the old for sale folder until the new format is up and running???????

I think that would be a great compromise.........

RobSteinmetz
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
This site saw an incredible increase in unique visitors last month as a result of our inaugural auction. However, it is important to note that a significant investment in time and resources was made to attract those unique visitors. Those interested in selling items in the new 'for sale' section will certainly benefit from that investment.

The new 'for sale' section will be rolled out shortly and will benefit everyone in the end. Between now and then, the only compromise needed is that we all continue to exercise a little patience while we close out this past auction and get ready to roll out the new 'for sale' section. Continue to watch the site for announcements, but in the meantime, please respect the decision to keep the 'for sale' section temporarily closed.

Thanks,

Rob

JETEFAN
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi

Just my 2 cents...... First and foremost I would like to thank the GUU administration in it's efforts to better the forum for the benefit of all. Having said that I have concerns, one of the great benefits of this forum was access to great items for sale by members and under the watchful eyes of the forum members knowledge. If there was a problem with an item, you certainly heard about it !! How often does the Forum plan on having the "Auctions" ? It is my opinion that if they are done too often, most members will be holding back quality items and not list under the new "For Sale" section and opting out (Like A-ROD !!) and going for the auction. In essance this site will become as far as being able to buy and sell items mainly an "Auction Site" like Lelands or the countless others that exsist now. I am noy trying to create any problems as I know this has been a heated topic in the past, and the owners of this site certainly have a right to act and do as they please, but as a long time member I hope I can voice my concerns hoping the choices made are in the best interest of the members.....

Thanks
George

kellsox
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I think this is a question on many forum members' minds.... Will there be a fee/cost to sell items on the site?
Kelly

camarokids
11-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I think this is a question on many forum members' minds.... Will there be a fee/cost to sell items on the site?
Kelly

That is the $64,000.00 question ...........

The only compromise needed is patience??????????:confused: what choice do we have? besides going elsewhere......

I for one will never bid in auction that has a buyer's premium and never have..... No matter what the item is or how badly I want it..........

This is my opinion........

chicagoglen
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I for one will never bid in auction that has a buyer's premium and never have..... No matter what the item is or how badly I want it..........

I am in the same boat. I see this whole thing just blowing up. The forum was just that, a FORUM! Now it is a auction house, and new sports, ebay, etc...

By, By to the good ole days.

Just my 2 cents.

RobSteinmetz
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Glen,

Since the auction was launched and the for sale section came down, what exactly has "blown up"?

Has the stream of information being shared in the forum suddenly stopped?

Have collectors stopped networking?

Have questionable items stopped being brought to collectors attention?

Have collectors stopped posting and responding to want ads?

Aside from the inability to market your items for sale to very large and growing user base FREE OF CHARGE, what has changed? Please keep in mind that these unique visitors didn't find this site by accident. Tens of thousands of marketing dollars were invested to attract them to this site.

Respectfully,

Rob

eGameUsed
11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Rob,

Having a considerable amount of business experience, I think there are some mixed audiences (or target markets) that were pushed for the sake of the auction. The forum was set-up as a "free" trading, information, classified ad forum by Eric a long time ago. In order for the auction to be a success, you needed a different market. A market like Lelands, Grey Flannel, AMI, Edwards, etc. seeks for their auctions. Those other auction houses specilize in reaching out to those markets (i.e. they don't dabble in forums, information, bat records, auction discussions, etc.). This forum reached out to the common collector looking for ease of information, classifieds, and quick exchanges. The auction and sales section were going to be competitors of each other. For the sake of the investors to start to reap the fruits of their labors, the competitor had to go. What I am reading from some members is a desire for that section of this forum that they once used or seamed to be a valuable tool. With any venture you are going to alienate (or at least give the feeling of alienating) some people.

ChrisCavalier
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

We understand your concerns about the changes in the 'For Sale' section, but we are changing the platform for a couple reasons. First of all, we know the forum has provided real value to those using it. Running the forum takes money and the membership fees will not pay for this in the long-run. As mentioned in other posts, the site has to generate revenues in order to pay for the forum in its present state. There will be a nominal fee, similar to eBay, for sellers to use the selling platform (that will be explained when we roll it out) and there will be no buyer's premiums or fees for buyers. The selling fees will enable the site and the forum to continue running as is does now and the forum will continue to be FREE to anyone who wishes to use it.

It is also important to note that we will be keeping the forum running as is with the SAME editorial policies. That is, the community can use the forum as an objective resource to discuss issues surrounding the hobby AND discuss items sold on any auction platform. Discussion of any items sold via the Game Used Universe platform will be treated exactly the same as other issues.

The other, and in my mind more important, reason for the change is that the new platform will be more consistent with the goals of the site in general. One of the primary objectives of the site is to allow collectors to discriminate between different types of memorabilia, whether legitimate or suspect. Allowing people to sell items without images or detailed descriptions and without allowing the community to comment on the items creates circumstances for the exact problems we are trying to fix with the forum.

Specifically, the new platform will enable potential buyers to see images and detailed descriptions of all items being offered on the site as well as receive feedback to any questions they may have about items. We believe the platform will: a) be a fantastic venue for sellers to offer products to a very large and targeted potential buying audience; and b) allow buyers to get all the information they need to make informed decisions about items of interest.

We will be able to provide some screenshots very soon (similar to what we did prior to the consignment auction) and will roll the platform out as soon as possible. I will say that I think what we are creating will be a tremendous asset to buyers and sellers but you can judge that for yourself when the platform goes live.

Sincerely,
Chris

b.heagy
11-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Thank you to Eric Stengel, Chris Cavalier, Rob Steinmetz, Mike Specht, Jim Caravello, and others for GIVING us this great place to communicate, share and learn from each other without asking for anything in return. I have learned so much and made great friends and contacts through this forum that I am sure I would never have made. I have bought and sold items on this site and was never asked for a dime for doing so. I had the OPTION of paying for a membership or receive a free one, with a paid membership you received a book from Vince Malta that is worth much more than the cover price (how much could the site profit from that deal? can't be much if any at all). We have many other members that chime in and ask for nothing in return such as Howard Wolf, Chris Boyd, Rudy, Jon8us, aeonus, Mvandor, and so many more that share willingly. Where else can you do that and get such a response? I see a place that gives and gives and gives, all they ask is for patience. I think we should all respect that. Just my 2 cents.

both-teams-played-hard
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
How often does the Forum plan on having the "Auctions" ? It is my opinion that if they are done too often, most members will be holding back quality items and not list under the new "For Sale" section and opting out (Like A-ROD !!) and going for the auction. In essance this site will become as far as being able to buy and sell items mainly an "Auction Site" like Lelands or the countless others that exsist now.

In my opinion this is the ultimate goal of the site's administrators. But what's wrong with that? They're putting themselves out there with many knowledgeable collectors (on this forum) watching their every move. It's the American way to make money. Who wouldn't want to make a living by doing something they have a passion for? At least GUU is regulating themselves. Wouldn't it be cool if LeLands, Grey Flannel, and AMI had a forum like this? Grey Flannel won't answer questions unless you are a registered bidder. Don't make no sense! What is the advantage to selling on the "For Sale" section anyway? To avoid eBay fees? We all know that more potential customers see eBay than this site. Ebay is the "scotch tape" of the clear tape industry. It seems everyone wants something for nothing. I like good deals, also. But damn dudes, bitness is bitness. You can still use this forum. We can discuss collections and new aquisitions, regardless of who's making money.

JETEFAN
11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
In my opinion this is the ultimate goal of the site's administrators. But what's wrong with that? They're putting themselves out there with many knowledgeable collectors (on this forum) watching their every move. It's the American way to make money. Who wouldn't want to make a living by doing something they have a passion for? At least GUU is regulating themselves. Wouldn't it be cool if LeLands, Grey Flannel, and AMI had a forum like this? Grey Flannel won't answer questions unless you are a registered bidder. Don't make no sense! What is the advantage to selling on the "For Sale" section anyway? To avoid eBay fees? We all know that more potential customers see eBay than this site. Ebay is the "scotch tape" of the clear tape industry. It seems everyone wants something for nothing. I like good deals, also. But damn dudes, bitness is bitness. You can still use this forum. We can discuss collections and new aquisitions, regardless of who's making money.

As indicated in my opinion, I have absolutly no problem with how the site owners conduct their business, it's their right. !! I think everyone is just eager to find out which direction the forum is headed. GUU has always and I believe will continue to be a priceless asset to game used collectors.

chicagoglen
11-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Glen,

Since the auction was launched and the for sale section came down, what exactly has "blown up"?

Has the stream of information being shared in the forum suddenly stopped?

Have collectors stopped networking?

Have questionable items stopped being brought to collectors attention?

Have collectors stopped posting and responding to want ads?

Aside from the inability to market your items for sale to very large and growing user base FREE OF CHARGE, what has changed? Please keep in mind that these unique visitors didn't find this site by accident. Tens of thousands of marketing dollars were invested to attract them to this site.

Respectfully,

Rob

Rob,

Nothing has blown up. The answer to all your questions is no. People are still doing these things here and we are all better off. I just wanted to make sure we could do all of these same things when it comes to GUU Auctions and items for sale. Because it WILL eventually happen and I want to make sure we all have the same voice.

I see Chris actually answered this after my post.

It is also important to note that we will be keeping the forum running as is with the SAME editorial policies. That is, the community can use the forum as an objective resource to discuss issues surrounding the hobby AND discuss items sold on any auction platform. Discussion of any items sold via the Game Used Universe platform will be treated exactly the same as other issues.

Believe me. I wish all of you the best and i hope you and your business partners make a ton of money. You have a great idea and I would do the same thing if I were you.

I think we all just took for granted the great free features we were exposed to here and it is hard to let them go. I mean hell, I have no idea why I even care since I have only offered up like three things for sale here in my entire time registered. I just think that by charging for it we might just see less of the great stuff out there and I believe we had the inside track over the ebay users who did not know of GUU.

I wish you all the best of luck in your ventures.

Glen