PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth bat on Lelands w/ Great Inscription

allstarsplus
11-03-2007, 07:31 AM
This is a great description of a Babe Ruth forged sig on this Lelands auction.

Lot 1436. 1921-31 Babe Ruth Store Model Baseball Bat

The number "34" is stamped into the knob. Model 40 B.R with George "Babe" Ruth's facsimile signature on the Barrel. Somebody forged Ruth's signature on the barrel, but they didn't just stop with the forgery. They personalized it to an actor, added a lengthily inscription and even made reference to the movie "Pride of the Yankees." What balls! The creativity of the forger never ceases to amaze. The bat has no cracks but does have a few minor dings/scars in the surface. Shows moderate wear.
Reserve: $100
Number of Bids: 1
Current Bid: $100.00

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1436&auctionid=711

mvandor
11-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow, an honest auction house, brutally honest in this case. :D

I like these guys!

metsbats
11-03-2007, 08:56 AM
This could be a new hobby market niche: Collectors of fake memoribilia. With the high prices of the real memoribilia the collector of fake memoribilia can save tons of $$ and still have a nice conversation piece.

Then the hobby authenticators can increase their business by issuing the CONA better know as the Certificate of Non-Authenticity. Given the amount of Non-Authentic stuff out there they would make a killing andcome across as geniuses because they would not be issue COA for fake stuff any more!

Just my crazy thought this morning.

David

ironmanfan
11-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Kudos to Lelands....I just wonder what the boys @ AMI or 100% Authentic would do with this item?

suave1477
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Well I hate to play devils advocate but I will....

What makes this autograph fake not for nothing, not that the pictures they show are great or anything, but the autograph looks good. I am sure there is a good possibilty this is fake other wise they would try to profit off of it being the real thing.

But I do think they should provide some kind of information why it is fake.

Pride of the Yankees was in 1942
Babe Ruth died in 1948

So what am I missing that says this is fake????

Think of it just like this, just becuz you (auction house) say something is real doesn't mean it is, just like you saying something is fake doesnt mean it is.

CollectGU
11-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Kudos to Lelands....I just wonder what the boys @ AMI or 100% Authentic would do with this item?

They rely solely on PSA/DNA for all their autographs, so it's not in their hands to pass or fail something it's up to PSA.

David
11-03-2007, 05:56 PM
<< Then the hobby authenticators can increase their business by issuing the CONA better know as the Certificate of Non-Authenticity. Given the amount of Non-Authentic stuff out there they would make a killing andcome across as geniuses because they would not be issue COA for fake stuff any more! >>

Stat Authentic already does this:)