PDA

View Full Version : Am I bad person for...

toddhead
11-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I am selling my Clinton Portis game used jersey on e-bay that I bought from a member of a Redskins fan site and now I am getting pounded by a few of the other members because I am asking for more than I paid for it and I shouldn't have bought it if I wasn't going to keep it forever.

Does buying a jersey for cheap and turning around to sell it for a profit make me a bad person? I didn't orignally plan to sell it, but I've decided to go in a different direction as far as what I collect. I could really care less what they say about me, but I was wondering what you all think.

edensker
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
It sounds to me like you are a good capitalist, and there's nothing wrong with that.

bigjimsguitars
11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
And they wouldn't sell it for a profit if they had a chance to? Okay, I paid say 1000.00 for it, but because I'm a great guy I will let you have it for 800.00 when I think it's worth 1200.00?

The above numbers are examples for illustrative purposes.

It doesn't matter what you paid, but only what it's really worth!

Good luck and I hope it brings you a fair market price for it.

otismalibu
11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I guess it might depend on how exactly the sale went down. If they had a price and you paid it, then I don't see a real problem with it.

Let's say someone has a game worn item that I'm interested in. If I plead with them to lower the price, tell them it's my favorite player, I can only go so high, sob story, etc...only to try and flip the piece for more at some point in the not too distant future, then I think I come off looking bad.

sammy
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Tell them to pound sand.

Everything I buy, I buy with the intention of making a profit in the future.

suave1477
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Toddhead your not doing anything wrong your doing just what any one else would do no one in there right mind sells an item to lose money on it. Now people may sell an item to recover back what they paid but if you can get more for it go right ahead its a little thing called "Business".

Now on the other hand if your selling an item for a lot higher that normally would bring get a lot lower you have to expect some slack from anyone about it, but its your item and depends how bad you want to get rid of it.

Example - if you have an item that you paid $200 for because you really wanted it and the general collecting public may have paid $150 for it don't expect to turn around and sell it for $500, not to say you won't get $500 for it but it is highly unlikely.

metsbats
11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Nothing wrong with that. We live in a capitalistic society.

I work in the financial services industry and the whole stock market is based of this very premise and it's what drives our entire economy and well being!

To condemn someone for buying something at a lower price and selling it a higher price is very Anti-American IMHO.

David

Rob L
11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Toddhead your not doing anything wrong your doing just what any one else would do no one in there right mind sells an item to lose money on it. Now people may sell an item to recover back what they paid but if you can get more for it go right ahead its a little thing called "Business".

Now on the other hand if your selling an item for a lot higher that normally would bring get a lot lower you have to expect some slack from anyone about it, but its your item and depends how bad you want to get rid of it.

Example - if you have an item that you paid $200 for because you really wanted it and the general collecting public may have paid $150 for it don't expect to turn around and sell it for $500, not to say you won't get $500 for it but it is highly unlikely.

Toddhead - Anyone giving you slack for this is crazy. The market will dictate what the item is worth. If you bought the jersey for $ 100.00 and you can sell it for $ 500.00, then the item is worth at least $ 500.00. If your asking price is high and it doesn't sell, then no foul. As for people telling you that you need to keep the item forever, thats a pretty idiotic statement. Good luck with your auction.

Rob L

suave1477
11-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Rob L I didnt quite understand why you highlighted my comment wihtin regards to yous but ok

worldchamps
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Pound sand

That is a funny statement, I am going to use that

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing

BULBUS
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I guess it might depend on how exactly the sale went down. If they had a price and you paid it, then I don't see a real problem with it.

Let's say someone has a game worn item that I'm interested in. If I plead with them to lower the price, tell them it's my favorite player, I can only go so high, sob story, etc...only to try and flip the piece for more at some point in the not too distant future, then I think I come off looking bad.

I AGEE WITH OTIS. IF YOU PAID ASKING PRICE OR JUST MADE AN OFFER, THEN THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SELLING IT.

toddhead
11-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Okay, some guy posted that he needed to sell his Portis jersey. He started at $1,000, dropped to $900 and then went to $500 within 10 minutes. I jumped on it at $500. He was a young guy and I'm guessing he wanted the money to go out with his friends... in other words, he didn't NEED the money.

I listed it for $1,000 on e-bay and said it was originally purchased for $1800 which is what the original owner bought it for. They are all over me. I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.

metsbats
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Okay, some guy posted that he needed to sell his Portis jersey. He started at $1,000, dropped to $900 and then went to $500 within 10 minutes. I jumped on it at $500. He was a young guy and I'm guessing he wanted the money to go out with his friends... in other words, he didn't NEED the money.

I listed it for $1,000 on e-bay and said it was originally purchased for $1800 which is what the original owner bought it for. They are all over me. I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clinton-Portis-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-Signed-Redskins_W0QQitemZ260177052262QQihZ016QQcategoryZ8 6829QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found the link to your auction. I can see why you are getting grief from the other forum members. The way you worded the description it seems
that you purchased the jersey orginally for 1800 not the orginal owner.

metsbats
11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Clinton-Portis-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-Signed-Redskins_W0QQitemZ260177052262QQihZ016QQcategoryZ8 6829QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found the link to your auction. I can see why you are getting grief from the other forum members. The way you worded the description it seems

Not that there's anything wrong with that but it 's just that the forum members were privy to the initial transaction and knew what you paid for it. To the outsider whether you or the original owner paid 1800 for it should be irrelevant.

toddhead
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
They orginally started giving me crap for the price, but the real sore spot with them seems to be the fact that I am selling it at all. I'm not a true Portis or Redskins fan if I sell it.

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM

I have to disagree. It says "was originally purchased for $1800.00." It diesnt say "I originally paid $1800 for this jersey and need to sell it so I'm willing to take a loss". It simply says that someone paid $1800 for it once.

Sell to the highest bidder and make your money my friend.

Jim

Jags Fan Dan
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
If you bought the jersey from somebody selling it and they agreed to sell it to you, who gives a bleep if you then want to unload it later for more money? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The only way I could see somebody having trouble with this is if (like someone earlier posted), you begged them down in price with a sob story, or if the jersey wasn't for sale and you badgered someone into selling it. If you did either of those and then just went to flip it, that would be something you might deservedly get grief for. But it sounds like you acquired it thinking you would keep it, but something came up and you need to sell it. In that case, you shouldn't worry what anyone thinks of your asking price.

otismalibu
11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Pro Sports Investments

*cringe*

98% feedback rating

*cringe*

richpick
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.

Toddhead,

My suggestion is to just not reply and let their anger blow over. Why start a conversation if they are upset and see the transaction differently then you do. When I first joined this site GUU I told the story of purchasing a jersey for $10 and then selling it for $2000. Yes, jokingly, in the story I did mention that I tried to haggle the price down to $5 but the seller would not budge. I caught some grief from quite a few members about this. I told my side (that I knew that it was a game worn jersey but not until I got home and did some research did I know that the jersey was Keith Hernnadez) and then i just dropped it........wait here I am retelling and defending myself again.......you're right blast them and go on the attack and don't listen to anyone.

Richard

richpick
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Toddhead,

Also I often buy things that I can turn for a profit and that allows me to use that money to buy the things I wish to collect. Also, my tastes have changed on and off over the years from baseball cards, graded baseball cards, game worn jerseys, game used bats, etc. and each time I concentrate on a particular interest I may sell off items from another part of my collection. Things change and peoples situations change so no one should be upset at you. THEY SHOULD BE EXCITED THAT THE JERSEY MAY END UP IN A PESONS COLLECTION THAT MAY NOT RESELL IT.

Richard

kingjammy24
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6590/comm2tf8.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3704/commtf1.jpg

rudy.

metsbats
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I have to disagree. It says "was originally purchased for $1800.00." It diesnt say "I originally paid $1800 for this jersey and need to sell it so I'm willing to take a loss". It simply says that someone paid $1800 for it once.

Sell to the highest bidder and make your money my friend.

Jim

Like I said in my next post totally irrelevent to the outsider but those insiders who knew ToddHead brought it for 500 are the whiners here and I don't agree with it as it seems as Jags Fan Dan says sour grapes.

I don't think the wording is anyway dishonest but just stating a fact.

I'm all for him selling it for the true market price and kudos to him for picking up a jersey at lower price and be able to flip it.

Last year I purchased a Jorge Posada 2003 WS bat for $160 and flipped it for $400 so I'm living the American dream too.

David

both-teams-played-hard
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
What would Clinton Portis say?
"I don't know if he was selling jerseys or not, but it's his property, it's his jersey."
"If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their own business."
When Portis was told that flipping jerseys was looked down upon, he said, " It can't be too bad of a crime."

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Like I said in my next post totally irrelevent to the outsider but those insiders who knew ToddHead brought it for 500 are the whiners here and I don't agree with it as it seems as Jags Fan Dan says sour grapes.

I don't think the wording is anyway dishonest but just stating a fact.

I'm all for him selling it for the true market price and kudos to him for picking up a jersey at lower price and be able to flip it.

Last year I purchased a Jorge Posada 2003 WS bat for $160 and flipped it for $400 so I'm living the American dream too.

David

David,

Do you have a pic of that Posada bat? I'd love to see it.

Jim

suave1477
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
MetsBats wait a minute last year you had a Jorge Posada Bat and didnt sell it to me????? me and you my friend are gonna have some words lol lol:p

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
MetsBats wait a minute last year you had a Jorge Posada Bat and didnt sell it to me????? me and you my friend are gonna have some words lol lol:p

I was thinking the same thing! I'm jealous!

Jim

toddhead
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Pro Sports Investments

*cringe*

98% feedback rating

*cringe*

I also have a letter from Brad Berlin that states it is one of his shirts.

My feedback rating has so many negatives because I deal with a lot of military members selling challenge coins, so packages tend to get "lost" and the winners didn't contact me first. They all got their coins, plus extras to make up for the time spent waiting.

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Just for laughs, I looked and found this pic on Getty. The resewn shoulder tear looks pretty consistant in the picture. On the flip side, this jersey and another that I found on Getty do not have the secondary tag like the jersey in the auction.....

Jim

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56152870.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE8026F58B056EDA2D 4E9C89C783688B46http://www.honorcoins.com/portisgamer2.jpg

indyred
11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Shouldn't it be easy to figure out what game it's from? Didn't they use that jersey only 1-2 times that season. Should be easy to pinpoint that jersey from 05 with that jersey style. I'm sure it would be easy to track down video of those games and see when the shoulder got ripped. Has jersey even been sold yet? How did PMI get they jersey? Did game exclusives deal in 05 Skins jerseys.

tilley72
11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Personally, if you bought it and your intentions were to put in your collection and you made that clear to the original seller. And now you are selling it, you should go back to the original seller and offer it to him, etc. or ask if it's okay.

Apparently, a lot of people don't agree with that, but would you rather be a jerk that gets no respect because of what he did or some respect for going about doing this hobby the right way.

If you bought the jersey and you gave no information on what you were going to do with it to the original seller, than I don't think there is any problem with what you are doing.

toddhead
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I never said what I was going to do with it and he never asked.

The reason I ended up writing the equipment manager is the tagging as Jim pointed out. I found it didn't match from the Tampa game, but he assured me that it was one of his jerseys and said it could have also been used in the 2006 season. He said he has players playing this year with 2006 jerseys.

My guess is that it was from a preseason game.

both-teams-played-hard
11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
It does appear the photo from Getty doesn't have an extra length tag, like the actual jersey in question. Is this jersey actually photo-matched?

metsbats
11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
David,

Do you have a pic of that Posada bat? I'd love to see it.

Jim

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8587&highlight=jorge+posada

Hi Jim,

My bat is in the thread.

David

metsbats
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM

Suave,

I posted it on the FOR SALE section last year and another forum member brought it. I"m surprised you didn't see it.

-David

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2007, 10:15 PM
David -nice bat!

Posada in my opinion doesnt get his due as one of the premier catchers in the game even though he plays in NY.

Jim

34swtns
11-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Hhhmmm. :rolleyes:

OK, back on topic......

tell 'em all to suck it.

Seriously, nobody dictates to you how and why you buy or sell anything.

indyred
11-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I never said what I was going to do with it and he never asked.

The reason I ended up writing the equipment manager is the tagging as Jim pointed out. I found it didn't match from the Tampa game, but he assured me that it was one of his jerseys and said it could have also been used in the 2006 season. He said he has players playing this year with 2006 jerseys.

My guess is that it was from a preseason game.

Portis only played 1 play in 2006 preseason game and injured his shoulder in Cincinnatti on his first play in that game, he didn't play again till regular season. I remember the play. They also used white jersey in that game. What games in 06 did Skins use red jersey? I think just in Houston and Dallas. Will have to check Getty for game pictures from them.

camarokids
11-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Hhhmmm. :rolleyes:

OK, back on topic......

tell 'em all to suck it.

Seriously, nobody dictates to you how and why you buy or sell anything.

My thoughts almost to a "T" . Except I would throw in a few more four letter words.

toddhead
11-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Portis only played 1 play in 2006 preseason game and injured his shoulder in Cincinnatti on his first play in that game, he didn't play again till regular season. I remember the play. They also used white jersey in that game. What games in 06 did Skins use red jersey? I think just in Houston and Dallas. Will have to check Getty for game pictures from them.

They wore the jerseys in the first preseason game of 2005 against the Panthers. I am looking into other games.