PDA

View Full Version : Broken (not cracked) Bat Repair

matt
11-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Folks -

All-

I have seen a couple useful posts on how to repair cracked bats, but I am gonna take a shot at a bat that is broken in half. I am wondering if epoxy might be a better choice than wood glue for this. It might act as both a filler inside the break and a stronger adhesive.

Also, I wonder if it might be better to set the glue by simply standing the bat vertically on the knob and letting gravity push down while it sets rather than clamping it. Seems like one needs pressure pushing the 2 halves of the bat together, rather than on the sides.

Anyone have success with joining a broken bat in a solid and non-ugly way?

Matt

woodbat
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Folks -

All-

I have seen a couple useful posts on how to repair cracked bats, but I am gonna take a shot at a bat that is broken in half. I am wondering if epoxy might be a better choice than wood glue for this. It might act as both a filler inside the break and a stronger adhesive.

Also, I wonder if it might be better to set the glue by simply standing the bat vertically on the knob and letting gravity push down while it sets rather than clamping it. Seems like one needs pressure pushing the 2 halves of the bat together, rather than on the sides.

Anyone have success with joining a broken bat in a solid and non-ugly way?

Matt

Matt,
You need to email Jeff Scott (birdbats), he is outstanding at repairing broken bats. He recently fixed my Kelly Stinnett that was broken in three different pieces. Took major surgery and the bat looks very nice, turned out great.

Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net

stlbats
11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Hello.
I would use wood glue, not epoxy. Also you will have to clamp the pieces together, gravity itself will not press the 2 pieces together enough. If the glue dries without being clamped, you will be able to simply pull the pieces back apart easily.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

godwulf
11-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I have been repairing a lot of bats lately, and largely learning by doing, and finding out that each bat is unique in the way it's broken (or cracked) and in the way that it has to be repaired.

I recently put an Alberto Callaspo Sam bat back together that came to me in three pieces. Elmer's wood glue and lots of padded spring clamps, done in two stages.

I would love to find a website or two that illustrate the experts' ways of doing it...but as long as the experts charge for doing the repairing themselves, and not revealing all of their secrets on the internet, I'd guess there'll be a shortage of those kinds of resources.

MSpecht
11-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Fred Lowman's site has some informative photo's and some brief descriptions of some aspects of repair. Here's a link:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9158/batrepair.html

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

10thMan
11-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Matt, Jeff Scott has repaired several for me & they have been tough repairs. One was so bad, he had to "weave" it back together. I thought it was missing a strip of wood. The Sosa (pictured) was badly cracked, almost broken in several places. Jeff did an excellent job. Check out the pics...

Sean

Birdbats
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Matt,

Can you show photos of your bat and the type of crack it has? Is it more like the top bat or bottom bat (below)?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Batrepair.jpg

Different breaks require different types of repairs, but two things are a given -- use wood glue (I use Titebond II) and use clamps (with rubber pads to protect the wood). I'd never use epoxy and I'd never trust gravity to compress the gaps.

If your bat break is like the top bat, a 36" clamp would help hold it together (clamped end to end). If it's like the bottom bat, a combination of squeeze clamps and/or hose clamps would work best (as seen below).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/DCP05472.jpg

Hope that helps.

bat_master
11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Matt, Jeff Scott has repaired several for me & they have been tough repairs. One was so bad, he had to "weave" it back together. I thought it was missing a strip of wood. The Sosa (pictured) was badly cracked, almost broken in several places. Jeff did an excellent job. Check out the pics...

Sean

Wow! That repair on the Rawlings Sosa bat turned out really nice!!!!

Jeff, well done! Truthfully I was a little worried with how that Sosa was going to turn out. Great job!

matt
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Guys - Thanks for all the great guidance. Since Jeff suggested posting a photo, here is what the patient looks like:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/matt/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK11/Picture%20131.jpg

Steiner/MLB Manny bat used in the last few games of the year and broken convincingly on 9/29. Sounds like I should invest in a large 36 inch clamp plus some clamps to compress the break itself...or I should find someone better skilled and pay to get this done properly!

Matt

metsbats
11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Jeff,

Nice work. I'm assuming you sand the excess glue after the pieces are set. I know Fred Lowman told me he cannot guarantee taking off some of the pine tar and use during that particular process but can put back some of the tar.

Do you find yourself removing use or tar during your procedure?

Thanks
David

metsbats
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Jeff,

Nice work. I'm assuming you sand the excess glue after the pieces are set. I know Fred Lowman told me he cannot guarantee NOT taking off some of the pine tar and use during that particular process but can put back some of the tar.

Do you find yourself removing use or tar during your procedure?

Thanks
David

Slight correction...

matt
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Trying again to post photo of the bat I plan to repair. See next post for details...

Matt

Birdbats
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm assuming you sand the excess glue after the pieces are set. I know Fred Lowman told me he cannot guarantee taking off some of the pine tar and use during that particular process but can put back some of the tar. Do you find yourself removing use or tar during your procedure?

I try everything possible to leave the pine tar undisturbed. When gluing the bat, after the clamps are on, I'll use a wet sponge to clean off as much excess glue as possible. I also cover the pads of my clamps with non-stick aluminum foil so the tar doesn't stick to the clamp pads. After it dries, if any glue is visible, I'll carefully remove it with a scraper. If any tar does come off -- which sometimes can't be helped -- I won't restore it unless the owner approves.

Rboitano
11-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Jeff is the best bat repairer out there! He has fixed about 8 or 9 for me and every one looks great.

woodbat
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Trying again to post photo of the bat I plan to repair. See next post for details...

Matt

Matt,
If that were my bat, I would contact Jeff and see what would be involved in having him repair it. Apparently this attempt to repair is your first? Suggestion, get some broken bats of a whole lot lesser value to "practice" on, Pro Stock stuff would work. If you apply the glue and do a clamping and don't get it "right" the first time, then not that much lost. If you were to try your pictured bat and things don't go quite right, then you really got a MESS..........Be worse than not having tried to repair at all. Once the glue sets, you own it. Good Luck..
Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net

bigtruck260
11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I also will give Jeff a reference. I bought a So Taguci bat from him recently...advertised as "cracked and repaired". When it got here, my wife and I REALLY had to look for it. Aparrently, it was sawed off pretty good.
You can find some photos here:

http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/index.htm