PDA

View Full Version : VA's 2006 Dodgers Garciaparra NOB?

Eric
11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey everyone

Vintage Authentics is selling a 2006 game used Dodgers Nomar Garciaparra jersey with name on back of jersey.

Comes with a Lampson letter which gives it a 4 out of 4 in jersey characteristics/identifiers

I can't find any photos from 2006 with the Dodgers wearing jerseys with names on the back.

Here's the auction description and photos

Gray road Majestic size 44 Los Angeles Dodgers jersey used by fan favorite Nomar Garciaparra during his fantastic "comeback" season of 2006. The jersey's front team name is throwback to the 1963 style worn by LA. It features single color sewn identifiers with NOB affixed directly to jersey back and LA interlocking team logo sewn to left sleeve. It is appropriately tagged on outer tail with Majestic label and flagged for size. Overall the gamer exhibits consistent light to medium game wear evidence throughout and earns a final authentic grade of 8 on this rare and highly desirable style.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/misc/img5615711.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/misc/img5615710.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/misc/img5615709.jpg
http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=87928662&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=88275372

Steve Jensen at Vintage Authentics is looking into it and as always has been quite responsive. In the meantime, any Dodgers experts have photos of this jersey style?

Ball Park Heroes is selling one with a flag tag and no name on back
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chad-Billingsley-2006-Dodgers-game-used-road-jersey_W0QQitemZ220074870174QQihZ012QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
But perhaps there are different jersey styles
Eric

Eric
11-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Also, game used universe just sold a 2007 dodgers garciaparra with a property of dodgers tag

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/upload/auction/330x200/2149.jpg

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=443

bigjimsguitars
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Eric:

To the best of my knowledge, the Dodgers didn't have NOB in 2006 and the jersey you have pictured has the wrong sleeve patch...in 2006 it would have been Dodgers on LA.

It appears to be a 2007 style jersey, but in 2007 all of the GU or Team Ordered Jersey's would have had the Propery of the Los Angeles Dodgers tag under the Jock Tag.

Not all of them had the year tag in 2007.

I would love to see the wash tag on it as it would also have the size tab/tag sewn in....

Also, it has the 2007 styling as in 2006, the Dodgers Jersey's had outined blue trim/piping on the button placket and collar that is not present on the example....

By all accounts it's not a 2006 Jersey....

Jim

bigjimsguitars
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
errata...the I meant Dodgers and not LA (reference to the Sleeve Patch)....

BULBUS
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Steiner Sports now sells Dodger game used stuff. They have a few jerseys on their website and from what I can see in the photos, in 2006 they did not have names on their jerseys or the "Property Of..." tag. However, in 2007, they have the NOB and the "Property Of..." tags.

kingjammy24
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4526/dodgersac2.jpg

more evidence that lampson is the biggest joke in the hobby and those that hire him aren't much better.

rudy.

5kRunner
11-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I didn't see it mentioned, so I apologize if it was.

I'm by no means a Dodgers expert, but the lack of the white trim on the number and team number was the first thing I that jumped out at me that this isn't a 2006 jersey.

bigjimsguitars
11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Rudy:

The Gagne would be from 2004.....

Agreed, Lampson is a joke if he certified that as a 2006 jersey.

I had to go out after my earlier posts and was going to pull out some of my 2006 and 2007 Jersey's for photo comparison, but Rudy has pretty much covered it.

kingjammy24
11-01-2007, 05:09 PM
"The Gagne would be from 2004....."

woops! nice catch. i just wanted to show a closeup of the numbers to show that they aren't simply blue on white. they're blue, on a layer of grey, on another layer of white.

rudy.

bigjimsguitars
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
"The Gagne would be from 2004....."

woops! nice catch. i just wanted to show a closeup of the numbers to show that they aren't simply blue on white. they're blue, on a layer of grey, on another layer of white.

rudy.

The 3 color back numbers also ceased to be in 2007 and reverted back to the more traditional single color format as was the message by Rudy.

The bottom line is that Lou Lampson isn't relevant anymore as he clearly doesn't do his homework and will put is moniker on anything for a fee.

Maybe we should get a group together and buy the stuff he authenticates and then sue him for being clueless...however, I bet a bag of game used baseballs that he has some sort of goobly gop safe guard language in his LOA/COA's that in his opinion or such that safeguards him from lawsuits.

Caveat Emptor...let the buyer beware and do your homework before putting down your hard earned greenbacks! It's easy to blame someone else, but if you arm yourself with knowledge you will be in a better position to be the expert or judge of what is and what isn't.

TNTtoys
11-02-2007, 03:39 PM
however, I bet a bag of game used baseballs that he has some sort of goobly gop safe guard language in his LOA/COA's that in his opinion or such that safeguards him from lawsuits.

Funny you should mention language. I have noticed a growing trend in this hobby of "certificates of authenticity" morphing into "letters of opinion." Hence the authenticator is no longer willing to categorically state that an item is authentic any longer, but instead only wants to offer their "opinion."

I figure that if these folks are only go as far as provide an opinion rather to go the whole nine yards, then they should be paid for their services accordingly.

Trouble is, the average Joe who does not know any better finds the "COA" and the "LOO" one in the same.

My question would be... does a lowered level of expecatation or lowered level of responsibility regarding the authentication of items absolve the authenticator in full in the event that they get it wrong?

bigjimsguitars
11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I deal primarily in vintage and used guitar (as my moniker would suggest) and in my line of business there are appraisals and the language is "to the best of my knowledge", "if real", etc. that are the prophylactic safeguards that one employs.

However, it gets more interesting when a guitar is said to be owned by a well known rock star and people have been sued successfully when it has turned out not to be.

Me think that with the prices that the A list Game Used is commanding that it gets scary to authenticate as there now is so much to lose if wrong.

I agree that if it is only going to be an opinion that the fee should reflect that for the services rendered as there is no risk at that point for the person providing the service other than some time and hopefully years of experience (and all experience is not created equal)...

The good thing is that we are coming into an age where technology as allowed for expansion of shared knowledge and resources to draw from and that will result in better informed decisions by buyers.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the primary reasons for this forum was to provide collectors with a broader paintbrush of knowledge at a flick of the mouse from a array of experts. Frankly it has done just that and that will level that playing field.

kingjammy24
11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
nick,

the change from "coa" to "loo" is purely semantic. coa's were always loos because they never could've been anything more. they just purported to be more and now they're being downgraded to reflect the truth that everyone always knew. it seems to me that the only entity that could offer a true coa would be a player or the team or someone who was literally handed a jersey off the player's back after a game.

"..does a lowered level of expecatation or lowered level of responsibility regarding the authentication of items absolve the authenticator in full in the event that they get it wrong?"

in reality, it's no lower than it ever was. all they ever really did was offer an opinion because that's all they ever could do. anyway, i've discussed this previously but the notion that simply "giving an opinion" absolves a professional of the responsibility to do their due diligence is a fallacy. these "professionals" are being paid for their opinions and are being retained in a professional capacity for their expertise. there is the responsibility for them to do their due diligence. the fact that lampson didn't even bother looking at photos of the dodgers road jerseys in 2006 before proclaiming the VA garciaparra to be from 2006 means he's negligent. changing the semantics of it from "coa" to "loo" is irrelevant. call them whatever you like, the responsibilities haven't changed. the onus to perform due diligence existed when they called it a coa, it exists when they call it a loo, and it'll exist as long as they're issuing these opinions, as (self-proclaimed) "experts", in a paid, professional capacity.

i'd like someone to tell me what the difference is between an authenticator issuing an opinion and a doctor issuing an opinion because the doctor would be the first to tell you he can most definitely be held legally responsible for a failure to perform due diligence in issuing his opinions.

anyway, i think it's a serious reflection on an auction house when they choose to hire lampson and i imagine thats why REA and GUU don't use him. leland's doesn't use him and neither does GFC. mastro is the only major auction house that suffers the embarassment of using lampson. i guess being the cheapest in the industry still has its appeal to those who value cost over quality. the odd thing is that when mears rejected a ted williams jersey at mastro, mastro chose to run it away and justified it by saying that their own in-house staff had decades of expertise blah blah blah. if their in-house staff are such genuises, then why even bother hiring lampson at all?

rudy.