PDA

View Full Version : Arod opts out!

Vintagedeputy
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
They just announced it during the World Series. Scott Boras said that Arod will opt out of his contract with the Yankees......where to next?

allstarsplus
10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I heard the announcement during the Game 4 WS telecast. If it is true, the ramifications are enormous.

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Andrew - think we could get Alex to like DC?

allstarsplus
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Andrew - think we could get Alex to like DC?

Jim - We would even let him play Shortstop!!!!

I would expect the Cubs, Angels, Dodgers and possibly the White Sox and Red Sox to make a serious run. Sure other teams like the Orioles will show interest, but it may take $250 million for 8 years to get him and there aren't many teams who will spend that type of money!!!!

This will be an interesting off-season.

Andrew

OaklandAsFan
10-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I think it will be the Cubbies that get him but Moreno may not be afraid to open up that fat checkbook of his to get him which as an A's fan kinda scares me. Arod and Vladdy on the same team whew that could be a nightmare.

Bondsgloves
10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Watch out the Giants are sleepers in all of this. They cleared room with Bonds contract gone. Peter Magowan likes to make a splash with big names, like he did in 1993 when he brought in Bonds. They need to fill that stadium to pay it off. I saw GM Sabean at a local high school game 23 weeks ago, if AROD is available they will be involved. Personally Pay-Rod is a full to go to another team like the Cubs or Giants, he'll be walked just like Barry and lets see if really is a as good of a hitteras Bonds. No Griffey, No Palmeiro, No Yankee line-up, possibly no high scoring AL team. I think AROD is setting himself to be disliked like Bonds. Selling out for money.

Bondsgloves
10-28-2007, 11:17 PM
not 23 week ago 3 weeks ago my typo

OaklandAsFan
10-28-2007, 11:20 PM
You really think Sabean is gonna give up that huge of a contract after the Zito debacle this year??

Bondsgloves
10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Did you see how much money has dropped off the payroll. Bonds, Benitez, Vizquel, Feliz, Klesko, etc. The moneys there, I guarantee that. They need a star to fill that stadium, you heard it here first! All that freed up money, newer stadium. Who else would they sign?

byergo
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Who cares? He's so overrated and overpaid. Major league choke artist in the post season over and over again. What exactly has AROD won in his career?

Any owner willing to pony up that kind of money for AROD is crazy.

OaklandAsFan
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Did you see how much money has dropped off the payroll. Bonds, Benitez, Vizquel, Feliz, Klesko, etc. The moneys there, I guarantee that. They need a star to fill that stadium, you heard it here first! All that freed up money, newer stadium. Who else would they sign?

Oh I wasn't saying that Sabean didn't have the money I am just questioning if he will spend it after joke of a contract to Zito (which I saw happening BTW A's fans have been laughing since it happenend) Thing with the Giants is they have proven for several years that one player doesnt win it all so they need to spend that money on a few players. Maybe go after Torii Hunter (need some young decent legs in the OF) and pick up a slightyly cheaper slugger. Thats what I would do if I were Sabean I don't think the diehard Giant fans are gonna flock to the park for Arod like they did for Barry.

Vintagedeputy
10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh I wasn't saying that Sabean didn't have the money I am just questioning if he will spend it after joke of a contract to Zito (which I saw happening BTW A's fans have been laughing since it happenend) Thing with the Giants is they have proven for several years that one player doesnt win it all so they need to spend that money on a few players. Maybe go after Torii Hunter (need some young decent legs in the OF) and pick up a slightyly cheaper slugger. Thats what I would do if I were Sabean I don't think the diehard Giant fans are gonna flock to the park for Arod like they did for Barry.

Torii Hunter will be roaming CF for the Nats next year.

Jim

OaklandAsFan
10-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Torii Hunter will be roaming CF for the Nats next year.

Jim

nothing is definate until the ink is dry on that contract. This day and age money talks and BS walks.

murderers_row
10-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving organization!

THe "Curse of the Stadium" continues!

Rob L
10-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Not likely for the Angels. They are going after Lowell.

Rob L

OaklandAsFan
10-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Not likely for the Angels. They are going after Lowell.

Rob L

Man Lowell just won a new car and now he can open up his own bank!!! Apparently the Yanks will be in the hunt for a new 3bman as well so Lowell just earned himself a few extra mil per year on a new contract.

jon_8_us
10-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Man Lowell just won a new car and now he can open up his own bank!!! Apparently the Yanks will be in the hunt for a new 3bman as well so Lowell just earned himself a few extra mil per year on a new contract.

I'm gonna get killed by my fellow Sox fans for the following thoughts but i have to say it.First of all i love Mike Lowell.A real professional who had a tremendous year.With that being said bring Arod to Boston!Lets be realistic here,the Sox are one of 2 maybe 3 teams that have the money this guy wants.One of those teams is the Yankees and from what all the talking heads are saying they are done with him.So thank you Mike Lowell but go get your big payday from the Angels or whomever it may be and send the best player in the game today and possibly ever to play 3rd for the Sox.
Jon

3arod13
10-29-2007, 04:50 AM
As an avid Arod fan, I just don't get him. He said over and over he wanted nothing more than to be a New York Yankee. The Yankees were going to offer him a decent contract extension with more money.

Yet, he opts out of his contract. Is it really important for him to win a World Series? He doesn't show that to me.

Also, Arod and Boras lack class by announcing this during the World Series. Give me a break!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOSTON RED SOX!

Arod leaves New York having played in 629 games over four seasons with the Yankees, batting .302, with 173 home runs, 513 RBIs and 2 MVP Awards.

I wanted Arod to stay a New York Yankee! Sad day for me!

OaklandAsFan
10-29-2007, 05:29 AM
As an Arod fan you should know and realize already that his own personal stats are all that Arod cares about I think he honestly could care less if he ever gets a ring or not because he knows at the pace he is going right now he will be known as the greatest to ever step foot on a baseball field.
It really doesn't surprise me one bit to see the monster year he had this year knowing full well that he was gonna be a free agent at the end of the year. Typical of most players in their walk years they step it up a notch which just proves that these guys don't give 100% all of the time. Baseball needs to void every contract out there and make all payments performance based, its the only way we will truly get an honest effort from these guys.
Arod saying he wants to stay in NY is just talk that is all it is.Jason Giambi did nothing but say how much he wanted to stay in Oakland and how much he loved it there only to sign with the Yanks. A's offered him 91 million the Yanks offered him 125 million so apparently 34 million can buy a person out of where he loves to play.

skyking26
10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
The Yankees are changing. No Torre, no Arod, no this, no that. There is a strong possibility that the Reds will not bring back slugger Adam Dunn. 3 or 4 years of 40 homers and nobody knows this guys name. He would become a star in NY. Maybe they'd have interest??

RK

mr.miracle
10-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Andrew is correct, although the Orioles might like to think of themselves as players in the ARod sweepstakes, there is a better chance of me starting at Short or 3rd in Baltimore next year than ARod becoming an Oriole. Although I would love to see it, there is no way he is going to the Orioles.

3arod13
10-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Unbelieveable! I defended arod in the past, but this is totally ridiculous.

- Arod and Boras announce this before the WS is over. No class!
- Never gave the Yankees a chance (had every intentions of leaving)
- Lied about wanting to be, and retire as a Yankee.
- Text message vice face-to-face (weak)

Greed! Greed! Dumbest move ever!

Yes, I'm pissed!

BULBUS
10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Goodbye And Good Ridence! Go And Curse Another Team You Greedy @$%@#&! Now The Yankees Can Put That Money Into Pitching And Maybe Win Again!

ahuff
10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Honestly, I don't even give Arod another thought. I live in the land of the Cubbies, and have been blessed (or cursed - depending on your point of view) to be a lifelong fan. Personally, I truly hope they do not sign him. We don't need another star that gets homers when our team already has the lead. I want some everyday players that want to play as a team, and have a desire to win. Players that care about the fans. I want pitchers that don't break down in the first week of preseason. I want management that actually appears to know what they are doing. That is what will get us to the promised land.

I don't believe in the Curse of the Billy Goat. Nor, do I go around blaming Bartman. The photos say it all - he wasn't the only one reaching for the ball!!!! Nor were his hands that far over the wall - though it is hard to see by any camera angle. (I've been to tons of MLB games, and never once had a ball even in the same section as me. I don't know if I or anyone I know would have restrained from a similar incident.) Perhaps, if Alou wasn't 110 years old when we finally got him, he might have still had hops to get the ball. Why don't we just realize that the Cubs (players and management) do not care enough to field the best team they can. I still don't know how they got the ARam deal (25 years old and about to enter his prime)? Someone that knew what they were doing must have gotten that one to slip through the cracks. I'm use to seeing Maddux (at 26 or 27 years old) leave because they won't give him the 5 or 7 mil a year that he is looking for. Then watch him go on to appear in 6 All-Star games, win multiple Cy Young awards and become a post season regular. The Cubs in turn give Sammy Sosa the kind of money that Maddux wanted just 3 or 4 years later, and make him the leader of the team. That did good for us!?!? Then we bring Mad Dog back when he turns 38 years old. Nice:mad:

ARod is currently 32 years old. A time when most players are nearing the end of their prime. Do we really need another one?

bigtime59
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Unless I've completely mis-read her, Miss Pay-Rod is NOT going to Boston.
After all, what's the point of leaving Hiroshima to move to Nagasaki? She doesn't have the temperament for AL East baseball, or for the NY or Boston media. If I was betting on a landing spot, I'd pick Anaheim or Chicago.

3arod13
10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Here's a guy who is talented (less the post season), already makes big $$$, has a bad reputation with many fans, yet adds gasoline to the fire.

What is arod thinking? Is he for real?

I thought for sure, not only based on what Arod said, that he would return as a Yankee. Especially considering he failed in the post season and I felt he would want to come back and change that.

Arod is one odd individual. Sorry, but as you can see by everyone's reaction, this doesn't make sense.

He will only be hated that much more and everyone will always remember him as a greedy "it's all about me player."

I'm still shocked over this decision!

metsbats
10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
"Yet, he opts out of his contract. Is it really important for him to win a World Series? He doesn't show that to me."

Tony

The Yankees haven't won the WS since 2000. The Y2K curse lives on! He is better off leaving the Yankees and get away from the curse.

Anyway, I hope the Giants get Arod. What better public relations ploy can there be then to sign the next home run king to break Barriod's tarnished asterick laden home run record.

David

toddhead
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
I would have done the same thing he did. Why would you stay in NY when no matter what you do you will never be good enough? He could have hit .800 in the playoffs and led his team to a championship and Jeter would have got the credit. I'm sure Arod cares about getting a ring and that probably played into why he left the Yankees. He watched the same World Series as the rest of us and it looks like Boston will be the team to beat for a few more years with all the young talent they have. The Yankess will be struggling to make the post season for the next year or two.

He's not overrated and he's not overpaid. He gets paid exactly what his market value is. I'm a Cubs fan and I would love for him to be playing SS there next year. He may not be "Captain Clutch" all the time, but he's the best player in baseball and that can't really be denied.

Everyone cries about greed and how he's selfish, but if anyone of us here got a job offer that paid us 30% more and offered the benefit of being just as good as your job now, but more relaxed... we would all jump on it. Why should he be different? Because he makes millions? Because the fans want him to stay? Because New York has always been so good to him? He should get everything he can right now while he can still get it. Call him a bastard all you want, but we would all do the same.

murderers_row
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
At last, a post that makes sense!

murderers_row
10-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Wanna talk about a real greedy bastard?

How about someone who would tear down Yankee Stadium--and steal a park from the residents of the poorest Congressional district in the country while doing it--just so he can have some more luxury boxes.

worldchamps
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
OR......is arod frantically trying to get a deal done before the Mitchell report comes out.....get the max $$$ he can, and get away from the NY media before they can blast him for being a cheater

he was too embarrassed to get award from Hank Aaron????

maybe????

murderers_row
10-29-2007, 01:25 PM
If he was worried about the Mitchell Report ruining his value, he would have resigned with the Yankees for a guaranteed $30M/year for the next 8 years!

The ink on that contract would be long dry by the time the roport is made public.

He's not worried a bit.

BULBUS
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
"Why would you stay in NY when no matter what you do you will never be good enough? He could have hit .800 in the playoffs and led his team to a championship and Jeter would have got the credit."

THIS MAKES SENSE????? IF ONLY AROD DID THAT!

AROD HAD SEATTLE, TEXAS, AND BOSTON BOOING HIM WHEREVER HE WENT. NOW HE HAS YANKEE FANS BOOING. HE MAY BE THE BEST REGULAR SEASON PLAYER, BUT NOW HE IS THE MOST HATED TOO.

Nathan
10-30-2007, 11:47 PM
As an Arod fan you should know and realize already that his own personal stats are all that Arod cares about

Yes, the basic logic that "RBIs and home runs help your team" apply to everyone who has ever played baseball except Alex Rodriguez. I've been fighting with the Elias Sports Bureau and Stats, Inc. for years to get his statline changed from "home runs" to "team-damaging home runs" and "selfish, greedy RBIs", but apparently they're too busy switching Jeter's stuff over to "calm-eyed GIDP in playoffs" and "gritty clutchy strikeouts" and "team-helping amazing poor defensive ability".

OaklandAsFan
10-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, the basic logic that "RBIs and home runs help your team" apply to everyone who has ever played baseball except Alex Rodriguez. I've been fighting with the Elias Sports Bureau and Stats, Inc. for years to get his statline changed from "home runs" to "team-damaging home runs" and "selfish, greedy RBIs", but apparently they're too busy switching Jeter's stuff over to "calm-eyed GIDP in playoffs" and "gritty clutchy strikeouts" and "team-helping amazing poor defensive ability".

Say what you want but history proves that all the numbers he puts up don't help the teams he are on one bit nor does he perform when it counts in the post season. He could care less if he has a ring or not all he cares about is being the 300million dollar man

Nathan
10-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Say what you want but history proves that all the numbers he puts up don't help the teams he are on one bit nor does he perform when it counts in the post season. He could care less if he has a ring or not all he cares about is being the 300million dollar man

That's absolutely absurd. Where would New York be without him this year? Maybe they get 85 wins (but probably not) and they most definitely finish out of the playoff hunt.

His playoff performances haven't been stellar, but then I can scrounge up a three-series sample of probably 40 HOFers for the sake of comparison.

And somehow I doubt when he was growing up and playing baseball with the other kids on his block, he was imagining "Alex Rodriguez, it's not the bottom of the 9th in the World Series. It's the top of the fifth inning on June 10 against Tampa Bay, because another hit kicks in a $500,000 bonus for the kid." Do you forget that he agreed to be traded to New York and then vacated his normal position in order to win?

OaklandAsFan
10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
And I am saying that it didn't matter to him where the Yanks finished the year he cared about his personal stats and thats it. He knew he was walking at the end of the year from the start and he showed off just how selfish he is by announcing it in the middle of game 4 of a blowout world series because he knew it would garner more attention than who actually won the series. He is a media savvy person and knew exactly what he was doing, "oopps I shouldnt have announced it when I did my bad" whats done is done he is selfish and like Bonds any team that has him on it will have such chemistry problems that they won't ever win.

oh yeah he took that move to 3rd because it put him in a larger market to sell himself and make himself more money in endorsements. he also wanted to get out of Texas where there were a bunch of children who didn't care about their stats as much as he did about his own. I could do a little research and find the article in the web when he left Texas about just how miserable he made the younger players on the team when he was there with his obsessiveness on his own personal stats if you like.

Nathan
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
And I am saying that it didn't matter to him where the Yanks finished the year he cared about his personal stats and thats it. He knew he was walking at the end of the year from the start and he showed off just how selfish he is by announcing it in the middle of game 4 of a blowout world series because he knew it would garner more attention than who actually won the series. He is a media savvy person and knew exactly what he was doing, "oopps I shouldnt have announced it when I did my bad" whats done is done he is selfish and like Bonds any team that has him on it will have such chemistry problems that they won't ever win.

oh yeah he took that move to 3rd because it put him in a larger market to sell himself and make himself more money in endorsements. he also wanted to get out of Texas where there were a bunch of children who didn't care about their stats as much as he did about his own. I could do a little research and find the article in the web when he left Texas about just how miserable he made the younger players on the team when he was there with his obsessiveness on his own personal stats if you like.

Since it was Scott Boras who made the announcement, the entire first part of your post is invalid.

And since I can find just as many articles about "I feel bad for the guy since he's carrying the team and we all suck" coming out of Texas.

And third, STATISTICS MEASURE PRODUCTION. I really don't care what the motives are, if a guy hits a double then he's in scoring position (and may have brought a runner or two in to score). If he hits a home run, he has put runs on the board. If he turns a double play, he's taken out two baserunners. If a player decides that for every run he produces, he's going to start wiping his genitals with mink fur, I really don't care. If a pitcher decides that for every strikeout he gets, he's going to start chanting to the goddess Kali, I don't care. The game is won and lost on the field of play, and it takes a hell of a stretch to act like a game that is lost on the field is won in the clubhouse (or vice versa).

There's 300 million people in this country and I'm sure most have a good attitude. It doesn't change the fact that they're terrible baseball players. I've met Jim Caravello and Mike Specht and trust their knowledge about bats and think both are good guys, but I wouldn't want them swinging a bat in a real game no matter what their positive attitude may be (actually, Jim seems like he would slap a single over short and Mike could probably clock a double to right field....).

If having a good team-first attitude was vitally important, then how come none of the great motivational speakers won any championships? Heck, Matt Foley lived in a van down by the river!

OaklandAsFan
10-31-2007, 04:05 AM
At ths point I will just agree to disagree you obviously feel different about Arod than I do
I will however point out that your a crazy if you think that Boras didn't act with at least Arods knowledge if not a direct order by Arod to announce it then.

suave1477
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I read all these comments about the AROD situation and I agree to disagree with almost all of you and I found Nathans comments interesting. Especially how your defending a person by trying to throw a positive view angle on negatives and I commend you for that. But we all have to look at things realistically.

1) Is AROD one of if not thee greatest player YES
2) Does AROD play for himself YES
3) Did AROD really become such an unselfish player by moving to third NO - he has a brain and knew that was he only chance of getting on the team, where most likely he was gonna be given an easy ride to a ring and in a high market where he can get more endorsements. Plus one of limited amount of tems to pick up his salary from the Rangers.
4) Want to talk about stats how many errors did he make in 2006 at 3rd??? MY ALL TIME FAVORITE - how about he was #6 in the whole league to ground out balls into double plays (#6 in MLB) which means not only did he take himself out, he also took out his teamate from a chance to score.
5) 2007 so he stepped up his game, was it for the team NO - again he is smart and wanted to get his personal stock up, he knew his playing days as a Yankee was coming to an end and he knew he had to make himself more marketable then ever.
6) As far as teams he can go to there are many - Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, Giants, Angels and Tigers
6) AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST YOUR ALL COMMENTING ABOUT HIM OPTING OUT, LETS NOT FORGET HE CAN ALWAYS NEGOTIATE TO COMEBACK.

My realistic prediction is he wants a ring, but he wants to line his pockets, he wants in a team where he can shine and get his own stats up and he want's the limelight of the media but not as pressuring as being on the Yankees.
After that being said think about what teams can offer all that and you will get the team he is signing with.

allstarsplus
11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
11/14/2007 7:44 PM ET
Yanks, A-Rod close to multi-year deal
New contract would pay slugger as much as $290 million

By Barry M. Bloom and Bryan Hoch / MLB.com
[/URL]
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/images/2007/11/14/Et63NnxC.jpg

A source said that the Yankees now have an open dialogue with Alex Rodriguez. (Frank Franklin II/AP)

NAPLES, Fla. -- The New York Yankees are getting close to re-signing third baseman Alex Rodriguez to a multi-year contract that would pay him as much as $290 million, multiple baseball sources told MLB.com as the owners gathered here Wednesday for the final quarterly meetings of the year.
Though one source cautioned that the Yankees "don't have a deal yet," the possibility of it happening was the main topic of conversation as committees met on Wednesday in preparation for Thursday morning's joint session of the 30 owners and/or their representatives.
The news came only hours after Rodriguez confirmed making direct contact with the Yankees with the hope of reviving his future in New York.

In a statement posted on [URL="http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/players/rodriguez_alex/index.jsp"]AROD.com (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/tickets/index.jsp), Rodriguez's official Web site, he said that he had spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family and is taking part in continuing dialogue with the club.
"After spending time with [wife] Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization," Rodriguez said.

"Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness."

Randy Levine, the team's president who is in town for the meetings, declined to comment on the Rodriguez situation, saying only that he didn't want to "negotiate in the press."

But a baseball source at the meetings with knowledge of the negotiations said that the Yankees now have an open dialogue with Rodriguez. The source also denied a report published on Wednesday that the Yankees specifically told A-Rod that they would not negotiate with Scott Boras, his agent.

The source added that Rodriguez "reached out" to the Yankees, but that the team has "no right to tell anyone who should represent" any player.
A team, of course, can talk directly with a player as long as it doesn't try to circumvent his representation.

The Padres did just that last week with right-hander Greg Maddux, another Boras client, when the San Diego club and pitcher came to a verbal agreement on a one-year extension to his contract worth $10 million. The paperwork on the deal, said Padres general manager Kevin Towers at the time, was being handled by Boras.
Citing his comfort in New York, Rodriguez confirmed that he approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary.

"I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message," Rodriguez said. "I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.

"Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days."

The Yankees are apparently unconcerned that Rodriguez's overture could be a ploy to generate interest in the 11-time All-Star and probable 2007 American League MVP. While most clubs would love to add a player of Rodriguez's magnitude, teams with the financial wherewithal to realistically do it this offseason have proven scarce.

Even the Players Association released a statement last week saying it was concerned that teams were colluding against Rodriguez by sharing monetary information about his status, a strict abrogation of the Basic Agreement.

The Yankees originally backed away from Rodriguez after Game 4 of the World Series when Boras delivered word that Rodriguez had opted out of his contract and forfeited the remaining three years and $81 million on his deal.
At the time, Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner dismissed talk of pursuing A-Rod, saying, "It's goodbye." Yankees general manager Brian Cashman reiterated numerous times that the Yankees could not fiscally pursue Rodriguez if he opted out, citing the loss of a $30 million subsidy the Rangers agreed to pay when the Yankees acquired him prior to the 2004 season in exchange for second baseman Alfonso Soriano.
In fact, the makeup of the new deal, if it is signed, will probably have Rodriguez forgoing that money at the front end while the Yankees pay more per annum at the back end of the deal, a practice the club favors in its long-term contracts.

Rodriguez, 32, is the clear-cut favorite to be named AL MVP when the award is announced on Monday. It would be Rodriguez's third time bringing home the honor in his career, and the second in four seasons as a member of the Yankees.

Rodriguez led the Major Leagues in home runs (54), RBIs (156) and runs scored (143) in 2007, batting .314 with 24 stolen bases while helping the Yankees dig out of an early hole and attain the AL Wild Card before falling to the Indians in the AL Division Series. He also clubbed his 500th home run on Aug. 4 against the Royals, becoming the youngest player in history to reach that mark.

Barry M. Bloom (barry.bloom@mlb.com) is a national reporter for MLB.com. Bryan Hoch (bryan.hoch@mlb.com) is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

cohibasmoker
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
What happened to all those other teams who so desperately wanted A-Rod?

OaklandAsFan
11-15-2007, 12:45 AM
all 30 teams want Arod its the question of whether they can actually pay him. Only about 5 teams in the MLB could do that part.