PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Weekend Show

bigtruck260
10-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Went to the first night's festivities...and as always:

Same dealers, same old stuff from the last show. I think Eckersley and Musial were there tonight...maybe Gwynn. The autographs seemed to be a big draw.

Plently of bad (suspected)forgeries throughout the show. Suprisingly, most were from local dealers that I had seen before. Plenty of stuff that I had recently seen on eBay or stuff that keeps getting passed around.

On the GU front, nothing really spectacular...BUT:

3 Pujols gamers, all legit. One issued SAM bat ($1400)
There was a RAW from 2002 that was recently on eBay with a 2002 All-Star inscription (Pujols used a SAM bat in that game, I think)...and it was advertised for $7,500. The guy selling it, who is probably not the owner of the item, made it clear that the inscription was just that - an inscription...he did not advertise it as "AS Game used" - wich I kind of admired.

I saw a Renteria gamer from an unfamiliar company, A Ron Gant Cards-era LS, which is the first one I have ever seen...usually it is Mizuno.

Tom Brunansky uncracked LS
Jim Edmonds batting practice jersey
Jack Clark Jerseys from LA, BOS

Overall, nothing worth buying (that I could afford!) - I spent $4 on a Beckett.

One more thing...why is it that when you mention the word "eBay", some dealers act like you just insulted their family? You KNOW that most shop there. Mostly the card dealers...I got a kick out of that. I also like to watch people try to haggle the dealers for lower prices...on the first night.
Rarely have I ever seen a dealer come down from the listed price - as most are priced to sell. A well known dealer in STL got red faced when a customer tried to get an autographed dinner menu (Maris, inc.) down to $500 from $1200.

It's at the Machinist's Hall in Bridgeton until Sunday afternoon.

Really missed Jeff Scott and the lumber he tends to bring with him. If you have not had a chance to see Jeff in action, I'll tell you - he is one of the most polite and informative guys in the memorabilia business. He is one of us, and that's what a good dealer does - relates to his customers because HE is a collector too....

Dave

skyking26
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Summer 2006 I made the 9 hour pilgrimmage from Marysville MI to the show you describe in MO. The reason for the long haul was my collecting subject over 30 years was there: Dave Kingman.

The show itself really sucked. I think if I lived 20 minutes away I'd have passed on wasting my time walking in the door. The key here is the autographs guests. I notice they always put out great hard to find signers on a regular basis charging fees that are somewhat affordable compared to Chicago and NY. I dropped about $200+ just on Kingman as I usually get inscriptions and I like to get my equipment signed in person. Where I live 1 hour NE of Detroit, the local promoters run the same former Tiger signers all year, year after year. How many Lolich, Freehan, Parrish, etc. sigs do you need? No doubt about it, Michigan has been hit bad with joblessness. People are not going to spend $$ here like they would elsewhere, hence the promoter's reluctance to spend $$ on premiere signers. Bottom line is if you need certain people, travel or use mail order. As far as GU equipment, you'll find nothing in this area. Ebay and the forum, etc. are the only way.

RK

Vintagedeputy
10-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Went to the first night's festivities...and as always:

Same dealers, same old stuff from the last show. I think Eckersley and Musial were there tonight...maybe Gwynn. The autographs seemed to be a big draw.

Plently of bad (suspected)forgeries throughout the show. Suprisingly, most were from local dealers that I had seen before. Plenty of stuff that I had recently seen on eBay or stuff that keeps getting passed around.

On the GU front, nothing really spectacular...BUT:

3 Pujols gamers, all legit. One issued SAM bat ($1400)
There was a RAW from 2002 that was recently on eBay with a 2002 All-Star inscription (Pujols used a SAM bat in that game, I think)...and it was advertised for $7,500. The guy selling it, who is probably not the owner of the item, made it clear that the inscription was just that - an inscription...he did not advertise it as "AS Game used" - wich I kind of admired.

I saw a Renteria gamer from an unfamiliar company, A Ron Gant Cards-era LS, which is the first one I have ever seen...usually it is Mizuno.

Tom Brunansky uncracked LS
Jim Edmonds batting practice jersey
Jack Clark Jerseys from LA, BOS

Overall, nothing worth buying (that I could afford!) - I spent $4 on a Beckett.

One more thing...why is it that when you mention the word "eBay", some dealers act like you just insulted their family? You KNOW that most shop there. Mostly the card dealers...I got a kick out of that. I also like to watch people try to haggle the dealers for lower prices...on the first night.
Rarely have I ever seen a dealer come down from the listed price - as most are priced to sell. A well known dealer in STL got red faced when a customer tried to get an autographed dinner menu (Maris, inc.) down to $500 from $1200.

It's at the Machinist's Hall in Bridgeton until Sunday afternoon.

Really missed Jeff Scott and the lumber he tends to bring with him. If you have not had a chance to see Jeff in action, I'll tell you - he is one of the most polite and informative guys in the memorabilia business. He is one of us, and that's what a good dealer does - relates to his customers because HE is a collector too....

Dave

Dave,

I have found over the years that dealers use the high Beckett price when selling but will quote documented ebay sales when buying. The reality of it is that ebay, day in and day out is alot closer to the actual value of an item. Sure there are off days where things either go dirt cheap or through the roof, but the average is pretty much right on. Beckett is always wrong. Its a mythical guess as to what they wish the item would sell for. Dealers know that and dont want to hear it. For them to sell by ebay sales is like leaving money on the table.

Jim

stlbats
10-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Dave
Do you remember what the legit Pujols gamers asking price was and what models?

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

Kid4hof03
10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Anyone going to or back to the show that could find out the price of the Gant bat for me?

thanks,
Abe

DonTheLegend
10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
i was incredibly exited about going today (when the show was first announced) but when Canseco backed out, it lost a little luster with me. im not really into autographs anymore, even though im not against buying signed items or attending a show.

i love Dave Jacksons shows, but like BigTruck said, if you go time and time again and see the same dealers, it tends to get old.

Gwynn, Bench, Carew, Carlton, Gibson, Gordie Howe, Kellen Winslow and the great Ickey Woods (in addition to a few others) are signing today.

i may swing by tomorrow (Musial, Fisk, Eckersly, Bucky Dent...etc) will be there. i may seee what pops up.

all signers are pretty much affordable. Dave does a nice job of keeping the price down (compared to others as one member had just mentioned).

Kid4hof03
10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I just realized I didn't include my e-mail address. kulynychfamily@verizon.net

If anyone remembers the price or could get the dealers info I'd appreciate it. I'd even be glad to paypal for it now if someone wanted to pick it up and sell to me.

Thanks,
Abe

bigtruck260
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone going to or back to the show that could find out the price of the Gant bat for me?

thanks,
Abe

The Gant bat was $75 - and if you want it, I can check run back and see if it is still there. $10 shipping OK?

bigtruck260
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Dave
Do you remember what the legit Pujols gamers asking price was and what models?

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

The cheapest Albet gamer was $4,000 that I saw. The issued bat was $1400

bigtruck260
10-27-2007, 01:43 PM
The other thing about this particular show is the combination signers...
I saw a great photo of Bucky Dent hitting his famous homer at Fenway signed bim himself, Mike Torrez, Fisk and Don Deckinger...very affordable.

Also, SN cover with Musial and Gwynn...

A few other deals too.

The site is stlsportscollectors.com

Dave

bigtruck260
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
The cheapest Albet gamer was $4,000 that I saw. The issued bat was $1400

There was the previously mentioned RAW - 2 LS M9's and a SAM bat (black), sorry. The seller has one listed on eBay right now (two toned SAM bat)

Birdbats
10-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks to a decent amount of online sales, I don't have the inventory right now to justify the cost of a table. And the guys I often set up with are sitting this one out because of an expected baby. So, I'm just attending as a collector this weekend.

I'll be there Sunday around noon -- have to get Mike Torrez on a bat.

The Gant bat was still there today at noon when I left, Abe. Thought of you when I saw it.

I'm going to try to set up at Two Hearts on 12/2 when Gwynn is scheduled to sign (he had to cancel on this show because of the SD fires).

skyking26
10-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks to a decent amount of online sales, I don't have the inventory right now to justify the cost of a table. And the guys I often set up with are sitting this one out because of an expected baby. So, I'm just attending as a collector this weekend.

I'll be there Sunday around noon -- have to get Mike Torrez on a bat.

The Gant bat was still there today at noon when I left, Abe. Thought of you when I saw it.

I'm going to try to set up at Two Hearts on 12/2 when Gwynn is scheduled to sign (he had to cancel on this show because of the SD fires).
Abe: the bat was there 3 hours ago...call the promoter.

Kid4hof03
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
BigTruck, That would work for me, I really appreciate it. E-mail me at kulynychfamily@verizon.net and we can take care of it.

Thanks!

Abe

ChrisCavalier
10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Really missed Jeff Scott and the lumber he tends to bring with him. If you have not had a chance to see Jeff in action, I'll tell you - he is one of the most polite and informative guys in the memorabilia business.
That is completely consistent with the comments I have heard about Jeff throughout the hobby.

Sincerely,
Chris

bigtruck260
10-27-2007, 10:26 PM
That is completely consistent with the comments I have heard about Jeff throughout the hobby.

Sincerely,
Chris

Very true. Many times I have emailed Jeff and asked him about items on the BAY and he gladly sends me his opinions without asking for a thing from me. He prices his merchandise reasonably, and ships within 24 hours. I can't leave him feedback here, so all I can do is give him credit.

I have seen his website mentioned in several eBay ads for people with legit gamers...only someone with a legit Mac or Pujols gamer would do that because they know how detail oriented he is.

As far as the Gant bat mentioned earlier in this thread - Abe, glad everything worked out for you. Now, if you see a John Mabry or Andy Van Slyke Cards era bat lying around somewhere...look me up! Cheers everyone.

Dave