PDA

View Full Version : 1978 or 1979 SAN DIEGO PADRES Game used jersey? Help identifying....

cjw
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi..this one stumps me. I thought this style of jersey was issued/used in 1978 only...yet this has a "79" year flag. Perhaps it was used in the minors in '79, but then wouldn't the "San Diego" script be removed? Also...who is "Grosso"? Padres fans..are you out there tonight. Always loved the Pad's jerseys of this era by the way! Thanks for your help.

both-teams-played-hard
10-24-2007, 03:11 AM
cjw,

This is a true guess. The film "The Kid from Left Field" was released in 1979. The movie was about a batboy(Gary Coleman) for the SD Padres. There were baseball scenes of uniformed players (credited actors and extras) wearing this same style. Some of these jerseys sold on eBay a few years ago (I was outbid). Check youtube?
Glad to see you've got some new jerseys. Is Vancouver picking up or did you return from Toronto?

cjw
10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks both-teams!

Found this one on ebay...but the others are from Van City. chris

bigtruck260
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Not to mention, 80 is kind of a crazy number. Never heard of Grosso - or a # 80 on the Padres. BTPH is right, check the film...had Robert Guillaume in it too, I think.

Dave

MSpecht
10-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Good Guess above, BTPH....

The uniform does appear to be a 1979 Padres jersey supplied by either the team -- but most likely the manufacturer-- for the TV movie "The Kid from Left Field."....After looking through every Padre team and farm club in the 1978 and 1979 Padre media guides, a Google search came up with a cast list of the movie (link below) including, yes, a character named Grosso. This is also a 1979 Padres jersey style, differing from the 1978 yersey by the arched team name on the front (no arch in 1978).

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-kid-from-left-field/show/14353/castcrew;_ylt=As4UkJXv5dsVLfe132LG5s.So9EF

This movie is easily available on DVD, which would likely give you a solid photo-match.

Mikie Jackitout7@aol.com

cjw
10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
You guys are great! BTPH..what a guess!

I collect older baseball movie posters (Kill the umpire, safe at home, the original kid from left field etc.) but I haven't seen this remake. This would be a nice addition to the baseball movie theme.

Off to ebay I go for a copy on dvd.

Thanks again!

MSpecht
10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Looked on Amazon and Ebay and found VHS copies but no DVD--- I knew i had seen at least one DVD when looking for the complete cast---here is a link (The VHS on Amazon are around $3.00 as opposed to the $14.00 DVD)

http://www.sell.com/22PTWB

Enjoy whichever one you get.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

cjw
10-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Mike...got one. chris

cjw
11-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Photomatched! (OK video matched)..thanks to BTPH and the illustrious forum here..thanks guys. The movie is really bad, but it has plently of in game action. My guy Grosso was the "ace" of the staff, and apprears in quite a few scenes and game action..including Game 7 of the ficticious 1979 World Series vs the White Sox. Grosso even gets the unique experinece of being pulled mid game only to positioned on 1st base for one out...he grabs the pop-up and then returns to the mound to finish the game, and I assume, get the WS clinching win.

The movie couldn't have had the biggest budget, as the poor Padres were wearing the same white uni's in all scenes, home and road...even when they were mired in a early seaon slump (unlike the 2007 Rockies who wore black thru their tremedous run through the playoffs).

cjw
11-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Pics

both-teams-played-hard
11-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Nice!
I appreciate your jersey as a collectible much more, than some random common player. When I saw some of these shirts on eBay a few years ago (and missed out) the seller also had Gary Coleman's full minature uniform. I really, really wish I had of bid more. It sold for less than $200. The seller was from L.A. and had some other movie industry type stuff. So, it seemed legit. Who would fake a Gary Coleman, anyway? My dream is to own a Pittsburgh Pisces jersey from "The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh" (notice my avatar).