PDA

View Full Version : OT - San Diego Fires

ChrisCavalier
10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello Everyone,

While I know this isn't sports memorabilia related, I was hoping we could all keep the people in the San Diego/Southern California area in our prayers. I am sure many have watched the news and have seen that the fires down there are still not under control and there is not a great deal of visibility as to when things might be contained given the high winds, etc.

I know there are a number of members and people close to us who live in that area (in fact, I tried to call Mike Specht this morning who lives in the San Diego area but was not able to speak with him directly). Again, I hope we can keep them in our prayers for their continued safety.

Sorry for the off-topic post but I thought it was especially relevant given the people we may know in that area.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

10thMan
10-24-2007, 02:17 AM
I`m a native San Diegan & have been here for 43 years, with the exception of a 3 year stint in L.A. ALL of my Family lives here. These Fires (& there are more than a few) are devastating. 3 years ago, to the week, we had the "cedar fire" & this incident makes that look tame. For those that don`t know, most of Eastern San Diego is Mountains, from Mexico to Los Angeles. These Fires burned (in a westerly direction) coming into many city areas, county wide! I have several family members (different households) that have been forced to evacuate, some of them have had to re-evacuate. Thankfully, so far, everyones ok.

The good news...Many lives were saved due to the "reverse 911 calls" Improved Communication/ Coordination efforts also are making a huge difference.

The weather pattern does APPEAR to be changing, a normal "onshore" wind direction is starting. The Santa Ana winds are GENERALLY slowing, but it isn`t over. It may be far from over for a lot of people.

Now for the Memorabilia part... I was worried my Storage facility may catch fire, I`m only worried about 2 things, my BATS & my personal files. According to the news, over 20,000 people volunteered the last few days & I believe it! San Diegans are generally high spirited...You can chase us to the Ocean, but you`ll NEVER ruin our Spirit!!!

Thanks Chris!
Sean