PDA

View Full Version : 98 McGwire jersey for sale, why is it so cheap?

gameused
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Currently for sale on Grey Flannel for $1250, any comments?

http://www.greyflannel.com/main.php click on the link and then click on Newest Items.

Mac670
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Man I can't believe that. You would think that jersey would go for lots more. His testimony about steroids and lack of answers has caused major price reduction in game used items.

whatupyos
10-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Is it just me or does the tagging look to be sewn kind of odd, or re-sewn? Howard, can you comment on this? I know you have both a home and road 1998? Thanks.

Aaron

hblakewolf
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Aaron-
I have had several 1998 MAC jerseys, and currently have both a home and road in my collection. The 1998's I've sold, and the two remining in my collection have NEVER had sewing on the interior Rawlings tag that appears like the one offered by Grey Flannel. All have had clean, unbroken thread:

There is always a chance that this was sewn by Rawlings in a sloppy fashion, however, it would be the first time I've ever seen a 1998 MAC, or for that matter, a 1998 Cardinals jersey with this sloppy sewing. Likewise, I find it hard to believe that a professional seamstress employed by Rawlings would have done this.

Still looking for a game worn MAC Cardinals pre-game and game worn batting helmet.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtruck260
10-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Regardless of his testimony - or lack thereof, Mac will always be linked to one of the greatest summers in the city of STL. There are a few of us who will always look past what others think about him. $1250 is far too cheap for a 1998 Mac jersey...at that price, well...anyone can afford it.
Guaranteed to appreciate in value. Guaranteed.

Dave

kingjammy24
10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
while the stitching on the bottom of the tagging is definitely a concern, it's possible it could've happened at the factory.

here's a meigray jersey where the bottom of the tag is stitched oddly:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7076/taggingpp8.jpg

i'm pretty sure the meigray jersey is fine, despite the odd stitching. however, meigray has substantial credibility and in my personal opinion, grey flannel does not.

without some serious provenance, i'd normally steer clear of jerseys with such oddly stitched tagging. it's too much of a red flag for me, especially when the odd stitching is on the side of the flag tag. it suggests that the flag tag was possibly replaced/added. personally, i think the tag stitching on GFC's mcgwire looks really bad.

rudy.