PDA

View Full Version : New Fake Wash Tag Number (0929R2) from MSAUCTIONS

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I recently bought a Game Issued NOT WORN Dodgers Jersey from MSAUCTIONS that has the following Wash Tag:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/bi/bigjimmead/fakewashtag.jpg

The number that Kingjammy24 identified (from the same seller) as being a fake was 0503B2. As you can see this one has 0929R2 and as you can clearly see, it is sewn on the outside of the seam.

The next picture will show clearly that there was an original (my guess 6200 wash tag) that was removed as evidenced by the remnants of where it was cut out!!!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/bi/bigjimmead/fakewashtag1.jpg

There is an upside to all of this, and that is that I learned from it and it didn't cost me too much, plus I got Derek Lowe to sign it on the back, so it's a nice collectible, but clearly wasn't as advertised and I would hazard to say it was an obvious alteration by the seller as it has been pointed out that he has done this many times before with wash tag coded 0503B2...

Again, add 0929R2 to the suspect list!!!!

I would again like to thank the expertise of kingjammy24 for his insight on the fake wash tags and to all the others here with great knowledge!

The sad thing is that I actually gave MSAuctions a Positive FB that I have now added a comment to to reflect the jersey had a bogus Wash Tag....the funny thing is that it's still a nice jersey and is in fact a real Authentic, but albeit a retail jersey.

sportscentury
10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. You may be interested in reading the following related thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4814

I'm glad to hear that you are taking a positive attitude toward your shirt. Thanks for bringing this information to GUF.

ironmanfan
10-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Reid:

Interesting reading for sure.....I guess it's hard to expect a leopard to change his spots afterall....

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. You may be interested in reading the following related thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4814

I'm glad to hear that you are taking a positive attitude toward your shirt. Thanks for bringing this information to GUF.

Actually it's MASAUCTIONS, I don't know why I typed in MSAuctions. Maybe an Administrator could correct that for me!

Sure, I'm a bit bitter about it and more so that I didn't detect it initially...that's what I get for not doing my homework and acting like a know it all, lol.

Well, I now am a proud owner of a wash tag altered Jersey as a reminder to be more diligent. Knowledge is a great tool and I will never have to worry about buying another sewn over the outside of the seam, fake wash tag jersey again and the intent of this thread is to pass my mistake on so others can learn from it.

Sure, many of you already know about MASAuctions as you have been around here for longer than me, but at the same time, many are just learning about this forum who don't and need to know about sellers who have no problem with passing off crap....

My small loss may save someone else from this seller and that will be my good deed for the day.

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Just so there can be no confusion, here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270162065905

sportscentury
10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
My understanding is that MSAuctions is the same person/entity as MASAUCTIONS. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
My understanding is that MSAuctions is the same person/entity as MASAUCTIONS. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

You are correct, that is why I posted a link to the actual listing...their store is MS Auctions.

I loved reading the back and forth of the link to the prior thread, however, the seller is a piece of shiite and there is no amount of white wash to cover it up. Those who choose to defend him are guilty by association and are doing themselves no good.

The hobby to remain vibrant and healthy needs to ferret out the weasels like MASAuctions/MS Auctions!

Ozric
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
This is probably old news regarding masauctions on this forum, but I caught him shill bidding against me on one of his own items on ebay. Funny part is he ended up winning his own auction then sent me a second chance offer for the same jersey within seconds of when the auction ended. I took him up on the offer for the jersey only because he agreed to throw in the matching shorts for free. The jersey showed up, but he never sent the shorts as agreed. I e-mailed him a number of times, but eventually gave up as he just kept telling me he made no such deal even though I sent him copies of all of our corresponding e-mails. That was my one and only transaction with him... He is bad news...

gameused
10-21-2007, 01:57 PM
On the auction photos, the seller intentionally hid the area where the tag is sewn onto the top of the seam and took a blurry pic so the numbers on the bottom could not be read.

Look at the pic of the Dodgers logo on the sleeve, that photo is crystal clear. Deception all the way!

Bobby

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
On the auction photos, the seller intentionally hid the area where the tag is sewn onto the top of the seam and took a blurry pic so the numbers on the bottom could not be read.

Look at the pic of the Dodgers logo on the sleeve, that photo is crystal clear. Deception all the way!

Bobby

Yeah, he knew what he was doing. I just hope this one is a good educational thread and gets promoted as such as the more people who see this the better.

kingjammy24
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
nice work. very interesting too. i remember a bulk of 0503B2 coded jerseys were unloaded on ebay by "jeremy1370", a dealer in montreal, canada. he's still on ebay. here he sold another jersey, with the wash tag sewn on top, with a code of "0930H2", i guess once people catch on, they print up a new batch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110146938691

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/5604/codemu6.jpg

as for mitchell schumaker, (masauction, msauction, whatever) he recently sold these jerseys with fake wash tags sewn on top of the seams:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=52477&postcount=14

the thing is, mitchell bills them as "un-worn game jerseys/pro-cut", not "game issued". it's a nice way of skirting the issue. however, he also said it was "mint" and i hardly think it's mint when the previous tag was removed and a new tag was sewn in. mitchell must have some fantastic sources for these POS jerseys. seriously, what sort of people is he dealing with when he's got things like this? "impeccable sources" no doubt. i like the velcro sewn between the buttons. nice touch.

jim, did you try to get a refund from mitchell?

it's interesting to see that the previous tag was actually cut out. i also like that the only blurry pic was the one of the wash tag. i've noticed on a few historic and asi ebay auctions, many of the tags seem to be bent in a way that completely prevents people from seeing how it's sewn.

rudy.

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Okay, in an effort to spread the word about MASAuctions I have listed the jersey on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=250178782323

If anyone is interested in a nice Retail Authentic Jersey that has been signed in my presence by Derek Lowe please let me know by emailing me at bigjimsguitars@netzero.com and let me know you are from the forum.

Thanks,
Jim

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Rudy:

I didn't as I got the Jersey on the 14th and had great seats for the 15th (Dugout Club) and Derek was pitching that day, so I took it with me to the game and had him sign it after the game.

I put it away and only today did I really inspect it and noticed the suspicious wash tag....My fault for not looking at when it came in...it wasn't a big deal as it wasn't being offered as a gamer and maybe I was naive and didn't check other than a quick look at it and completely failed to see that it was sewn on top. Never thought that there was enough money involved for some on to take a Jersey that he could have sold on it's own merits for say 150.00 or so as a nice retail jersey in the right size (Lowe wears sz52)...but he got an extra 105 out of me for a quick snipe and a couple of stitches, so I guess that's the price the seller feels his reputation is worth....to me reputation, ethics and honesty isn't for sale and is priceless!

RobSteinmetz
10-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Did you email Mitch (masauction) with your concerns about the jersey? If so, what was his reply?

Thanks,

Rob

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Did you email Mitch (masauction) with your concerns about the jersey? If so, what was his reply?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob:

He has emailed me about it and maintains he was not deceptive in his wording and it was me that jumped to the conclusion that it was a Pro Jersey and that he never said it was, in-spite of the fact that he calls it a pro-cut with a 0062 wash tag.

Then he tells me that he has seen resewn tags on pro/game jersey's.

Much of this was my own fault as I should have fully inspected it upon receiving it, but I had a full plate of things going on and I got it on the 14th and had seats for the game the next day and brought the jersey with me to get it signed by Derek, who did and I then put in away.

Today is when I noticed that it wasn't as billed.

Mitch is offering me a partial refund, but that was after his spin doctoring and threats to sue me for libel and slander. Not a gentleman in my humble opinion.

lund6771
10-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Jim...

what was his explanation for the doctored tagging?

I don't understand why a guy sells stuff as "issued", but then alters the tagging?

is the intent to make an extra $100 or so by adding this tag?

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Jim...

what was his explanation for the doctored tagging?

I don't understand why a guy sells stuff as "issued", but then alters the tagging?

is the intent to make an extra $100 or so by adding this tag?

I can't speak for the seller, but his explanation was that he didn't sell it as being "Game Used" or a Made for Pro Use Jersey. Then he says that he has seen resewn tags before...double speak....

Jim

cigarman44
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
He says right here.."Team issue velcro between 2nd and 3rd buttons to secure jersey" Doesn't that imply that it is game issued? I don't collect game used or issued jerseys but that is what I would have taken from it.

Let me see if I am correct...under the 0062 on the tag is the 7 digit number under it unique to each jersey? I have gathered that some have popped up with that same number under the 0062 on wash tag.

Thanks

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 07:27 PM
The seller without admitting any wrong doing has agreed to a refund on the jersey and I will leave it at that and allow you to make up your own mind about it.

I ended the listing pending receipt of the refund....

ChrisCavalier
10-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

Let me make it clear up front that Game Used Universe has no direct involvement in this situation nor have we ever done business with MASAuctions.

With that said, I just received a call from Mitch Shumaker who brought this thread to my attention...I have been busy today and have not read all the threads on the forum. In an effort to resolve the situation, Mitch has offered to refund Jim his money for the jersey (he also said Jim can keep the jersey if he likes given he has gone through the trouble of getting the signature on it).

Mitch said he is doing so because of the confusion regarding the jersey. However, Mitch did claim that he did not doctor the jersey (he said he received it the way he sold it) and would appreciate it if the accusations that he doctored the jersey ceased. Personally, I would have to say that unless someone has proof to the contrary that seems like a legitimate request.

Also, we are leaving the thread open for its educational content regarding tagging. However, if there are any posts going forward that contain accusations that cannot be substantiated the thread will have to be locked immediately. I trust everyone understands that decision as it is consistent with our goal of helping educate collectors in a responsible manner.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. However, if you have any questions, please note that GUU's interest in is providing an educational venue for collectors to share information and not trying to mediate private dealings that are done outside of GUU.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier