PDA

View Full Version : Skyrocketing Signatures

skyking26
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Everybody out there probably has to ask themselves this question from time to time. Here it is, and I'd like your imput...

I have been a collector of memorabilia in many areas now for almost 30 years. My Topps sets stretch from 74 on, and many know I collect Dave Kingman, McGwire, Jim Thome and Adam Dunn, as well as members of the 68 and 84 Tigers bats... After obtaining items I always seek to get it signed as a way of "completing" the item before it is properly displayed. With Kingman, the difficulty has not been price but his availability to do shows. When he does one you travel to it. McGwire is a differnent story altogether. Thome will appear Nov 17 to do a show for Mounted Memories in Chicago. I have a White Sox bat and a pair of Indians cleats I'd love to get signed. Equipment costs $149 each, and to write something simple like "2006 AL Comeback 40 HRS" would be another $49... So, to get both items signed with an inscription would be in access after parking and show admission over $400!!! If this would be affordable I could see me taking the wife and 2 kids over for the 6 hour drive and getting the auto's and meeting Jim. I have talked myself out of this because of the ridiculous expense. I emailed Mounted Memories about it and got no reply.

What is everybodys thoughts on this - what would you do?

RK

bigtruck260
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Kingman was just in STL last year...did you get him then?

I am in the same boat with my collection. Anyone high end is going to be difficult financially..but my outlook is this:

If it is hard for me to get a sig now...and the price is high now - will it go higher at some point? $400 seems like a lot, but will it increase the value of your collection? With Thome, you have a future HOF, and a probable 600HR stud. I think it will.

With McGwire (I have noticed his sig price dropping drastically) BUT, he still does not sign, and his sig is still valuable. IF you can get him to sign any kind of game used item, it has to be worth it....unless you live in STL and are forced to make travel arrangements to CA.

I have a Taguchi bat that I would love to get signed, but if he retires...does he stay in Japan forever? Will that increase the $ of his items becasue he will be harder to track down? I wonder....

Good post. Thought provoking.

Dave

bigjimsguitars
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm with you, it's outrageous what some players are charging for their autograph/signature and or inscription.

Just a thought, try and find out what hotel he is being put up at and see if you can get lucky in the lobby after he is finished signing at the show.

Funny but true story, I was staying at a Hotel once and Got Mohammed Ali's Signature as he was also staying at the same hotel (the hotel a Show promoter put him up at) and he was more than happy to sign the back of my business card that I later mated with a nice picture of him and matted and framed it....

bigtruck260
10-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I have also noticed players charging for a "photo op" Rickey Henderson will charge and extra $50 for that too...

skyking26
10-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes, I drove the 9 hours from my home down the STL for the Kingman signing summer or 06. I have known Dave personally for 15 years, and if he is in the midwest I will make the attempt usually. With him, I have driven to Iowa, FL, NY and Chicago many a time.

I admit I would love to get Thome to sign these pieces. The cost is overwhelming, and taking a family of 4 for a 6 hour drive, hotel stay etc. before I plunk down $400 for a 2 minute meeting - regardless of what may happen in the future - I can't see myself doing that at this time. Kingman's sigs have always been affordable, usually $10-20 for a flat and never more than $30 for equipment. I know players are demanding more and thus the promoter must apply that to the consumer, but there is a point where the word RIDICULOUS applies and I think it applies here. Thome lives in Peoria, so hanging out in a hotel would be a pointless idea.

The sad thing is, I have always understood the need to pay as a player is making use of their time. It has simply gotten out of line. Thome has always been known as a great guy, and I am afraid that I won't see that!!

skyking26
10-20-2007, 11:07 PM
The photo-op idea is another promoter or player induced opportunity to suck more hard earned money out of the working guys wallet. The ultimate insult. Like hell will I pay a guy an over the top fee and then turn around and have them say they will take a pic with me for money. Would love to have Rickey on a ball as I collect HOF balls to - but he can kiss my ass...

RK

bigjimsguitars
10-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Sky...

Just another thought or two....I'm not sure where you live, but here's a couple of options at getting his autograph(s). Spring training or if that's not plausible, attend a game nearest to you and get seats in the field level and on the visiting teams dugout side of the field....yes this will cost money, but you will be seeing a game and have a good chance at getting his autograph.

On the road most teams use Team Buses to travel back and forth between the stadium and team hotel and if you don't get the auto at the game, maybe you will have access to the team bus (as is often the case at many stadiums) that will give you another chance to get his autograph.

Then there is the team hotel....

I used to pay for Autographs, but it's silly as I believe the players owe something back to the fans who are paying to see them play and help pay those humongous salaries. Some players don't mind those who seek there autographs if the person seeking them are professional and courteous when seeking.

Good luck and I hope that you do get his autograph on the items you have of his.

WHAlers
10-20-2007, 11:55 PM
I have a White Sox bat and a pair of Indians cleats I'd love to get signed. What is everybodys thoughts on this - what would you do?

RK

I have always preferred that game worn jerseys and game used equipment to be maintained in their original unautographed condition. I beleive that keeping the items in their original condition maintains the integrety of the item. You don't see game used / game worn items in any of the Hall of Fames displayed with autographs on them. I would say, get a photograph or baseball signed by the player and then display it next to his game equipment.

If I was to pay anything extra at a signing I would spring for the photo with the player. Just a side note, I do not agree with paying for autographs (although I have done it one or two times in the past), I much prefer some of the other methods already suggested in this post such as the hotel or the parking lot. I have found that with a few exceptions, most players that you encounter will sign as long as you don't come on too strong and are polite.

stlbats
10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
As far as balls or photos, autographs at the ballpark or hotel are great and very rewarding. However, for game used items or any item that is very special, GO TO a show and have it signed in a controlled environment. Most players have a "ballpark autograph" that is very quick and sloppy and you take a great chance at getting your item screwed up. This happens all the time. I no longer even take special items to games.

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

godwulf
10-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Paid signings are not always the "controlled environment" one hopes for. Remind me to relate my Randy Johnson story sometime. :rolleyes:

I swore off most "free signing" opportunities, when it comes to Major League players, years ago...too much in the way of stress, confusion, hard/hurt feelings, disappointment, etc...it can put a serious damper on a whole game or day, if you let it. That, and little kids make the damnest noises when you step on them.

Paid signings can have benefits - in getting questions answered, or in gaining insights into a player's thinking or experiences - that are worth far more than any autograph. I'll never forget talking to David Dellucci about what was going through his mind as he slid into Second in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the '01 World Series, and Rivera's throw whizzed by between Jeter's glove and Dellucci's face. ("Did you see the ball?" Smiling, "No, but I heard it!") Or putting one of Steve Finley's old Cooper bats, from his early days in Baltimore, into his hands, and watching his face light up as he savored its feel, and stood up to take a swing with it. Or chatting with a recently retired Bobby Witt about his injuries, and plans for his post-Baseball future.

Fortunately, most of the players whose sigs I want to get on my bats, jerseys, photos, etc, only cost $15-$20, with the occasional $40 exception, like Luis Gonzalez. There are sometimes advantages to not having any World Famous Superstars on your home team's current roster. (Well, there's the Big Unit, but he normally doesn't do signings, anyway...and when he does, he does them very much on his own terms.) Two of the team's most popular players, Orlando Hudson and Eric Byrnes, are doing signings next month, and their signing tickets are going for $20 and $29 respectively - any item.

Funny that this thread should have appeared right now, as I've just come from an Arizona Fall League game - one of the great free signing opportunities available, if you're willing to wait for that AA or AAA guy whose autograph you get to become famous. (Last year, all the Brewers fans were swarming all over some dark-haired young kid, name of Braun. Seemed like a really nice guy. Wonder what's become of him? :rolleyes: )

I'm going to be attending a lot of Fall League games in the next couple of weeks - I've taken a vacation from work for just that purpose - so I'm in no rush to get all the autos I want on any given day. Tonight my mission was to get current Toronto (and former DBacks) farmhand Sergio Santos to sign one of his old DBacks bats for me - I even bought a new silver paint pen today for that purpose.

The first couple of times I asked, he ignored me, and the last time, after the game, when I said, "Sergio...please?" he just said "No!" and ran away. I have to say that this has been, to date, the only really negative signing experience I've had at these games.

In contrast, Matt Williams was coaching at Third tonight, and as anyone who has ever met the man will attest, Matty is a class act all the way and a wonderful signer. The contrast between these two guys is all the more striking when one considers that the one has never, I believe, played above Triple-A, and the other is a retired MLB All Star.

So the Santos bat will go back into its place in the collection unsigned, and that's okay - my world will not come to an end. Maybe I'll haul one of my unsigned Matt Williams gamers out to the ballpark next Monday, in case Matty's still coaching at Third.

geoff
10-21-2007, 03:00 AM
When I go to Oriole Games I go aroung 1pm for a night game and stand outside the stadium and get autographs as the players pull up or drive in to the player parking lot.
I was lucky to get some good players this year and had fun doing this.

skyking26
10-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Everybody has a preference about their equipment: from cracked to uncracked bats to signed or unsigned equipment. I have no issue getting my equipment signed and enjoy comments from the player when they sign it. And, there is no better authentication than with the player - although they themselves screw up from time to time.

Examples: Dave Kingman in STL last year, I had a H174 bat, he had ordered only a few I believe in 75. He says, "Bob I think these were made for a show or something..." I have the Louisville records that show he used that! Or, having him sign an Adirondack he stated he didn't use many. I have photos of him using them with all teams he played with. A pair of Converse GU spikes - these aren't mine... I have a 2'X3' poster with him wearing blue converse...hmmmm.

Players tend to remember what they preferred or used most. Dave always used an S2 Louisville. He experimented with different bats all the way, but drifted back to S2's. McGwire was a 256B Adirondack guy, Thome a M356 Louisville guy - both using specific models that differed at times. Mac tried Louisvilles early, Thome at times will use still an I13 Louisville, Xbats, etc. Getty is great today for seeing what they use.

I got off topic a bit! Back on, I'm sure it is promoter induced inflation mostly with Thome. 500 HRS and they feel that is automatic enshrinement to the Hall and time to rape the public. Unfortunately, guys like me are not going to drag a bank with them or remortgage the house to get 2 things signed. I have had a Cooper early Thome bat on here a few times at $400 ppd. Funny, the cost of a bat would be 2 signatures. How crazy is this?

RK

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
One of the problems now is that even the average player in the major's (heck, just to make the major's is a big time accomplishment) and stay around for several years are pretty much financially set for life and don't need to do the signings post career like they once did. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet if you really want it bad enough.

The sad thing is to see some mom or dad pay say $100.00 or so for a signed ball from a team store when earlier that same day you see the same player sign for 5 or 10 minutes for free with the fans.

Maybe there should be a thread on how to collect auto's for free where people from around the country could chime in and lend their experiences at the different ball parks around the country.

With that let me give some free pointers about Dodger Stadium:

The gates open for the parking lot 2 hours before the game, and while it's stated that the gates to the stadium open 90 min before the game, there is the field level gate at the left field side that opens 2 hours before the game and all fans regardless of where they are sitting can come in and get an opportunity to watch the last part of the Dodgers during Batting Practice and maybe shag a ball and get an autograph...fans's are allowed to stay until batting practice is over for the visiting team and that also means that they can get some auto's from the visiting team.

The visiting team buses typically park outside of the right field pavilion and the players walk to it at the end of the game and they often sign and allow you to take pictures with them, but you have to hang around for about an hour or so at times. This is okay as it allows for the traffic to die down anyway.

harpt
10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I have also noticed players charging for a "photo op" Rickey Henderson will charge and extra $50 for that too...

I wish shows would offer this service exclusively. I do not collect autographs, but sometimes get them at shows just for the experience of meeting the player and getting a photo taken (see pic below with me, my son, and Ted Simmons).

Put anonther category on the priceslist:

Flats $50
Jerseys $100
Photo Op $25

I would love this option

skyking26
10-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Yea, back in the day I used to know all the good places to get signatures at the now defunct Tiger Stadium. I would stand outside the broadcast booth to get the former major leaguers that do tv and radio. I got Bob Uecker, Jim Kaat, Kaline, Kell and many others this way, and most were very nice about signing with exception to Kaline who is very surly most of the time. You could also stand out by the team buses on the final day as the players were headed for the airport. I remember getting Wade Boggs thru the bus window, Andre Dawson and Paul Molitor. As previously mentioned, this is less controlled and you often ended up with a crummy autograph on a $15 ball and waited long lengths of time in a very bad area of town.

Today, there is Comerica Park. I have small children now ages 6 and 10, so the days of waiting for autographs are gone. I am not going to stand there in a dangerous area with my kids to save a few bucks. Also previously mentioned, it just isn't worth it to me to try and drag a bat or pair of Thome's cleats into the ballpark for a free auto. attempt - especially when the park probably would not allow me to do it as it would be deemed a "weapon." Comerica is in a better spot than Tiger Stadium no doubt as that was located in a crack and drug filled, crime laiden area. Comerica is right downtown, but... take a few steps out of the streetlight and you are back in a similar situation.Not a good idea to walk around with expensive GU stuff for a "chance" at an autograph in a mob of people. Just not worth the hassle.

I did the Florida stuff back then too. That was fun. Only issues there were the jerks. I remember Gary Carter finally coming over to sign, then when other fans came over he got pissed and started screaming at me. That was an isolated incident as most games were very laid back and fan friendly atmospheres. That too was before I had a family. Now the attractions are our destination, as they should be, and the paid show is my platform and my decision as to whether I pay the freight. At $400 for 2 Thome pieces of equipment, I will decline...

mvandor
10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.

mvandor
10-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.

Let me correct the term game issued, it was a slip from my wishful thinking memory banks. Let's call it a REALLY good knockoff. :o

godwulf
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
The guy who sets up signings here in my area (Phoenix) was just telling me earlier this week about some of the agents, like Scott Boras, with whom he has to deal, with many players. The younger players, especially, are apt to have been told by their agents, "Don't talk to anyone, don't sign anything, don't agree to sign anything, without going through me."

One of our current rookie phenoms, Justin Upton, hasn't done a signing yet because his agent wants an obscene amount of money assured before he'll let him do it. I gather that Stephen Drew was initially the same way, though he seems to have pretty well chilled out lately. (I also wonder whether the fact that both guys have older brothers - B.J. and J.D., respectively - in the Majors, no doubt giving their younger siblings the benefit of their experience and trying to protect them, might have something to do with it.)

Eric Byrnes, on the other hand, told the promoter, "Don't talk to my agent, talk to me. I decide who I'll deal with and what I'll do, not him."

David
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
A Jim Thome genuine signed baseball would sell for around $15-30 on eBay, an index card perhaps $ and a quality MLB retail jersey perhaps $75. I have no idea why someone would pay $400 to get his autograph.

thomecollector
10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I would love to know where you can get a legit Thome ball for $15-30.........I'd buy a bunch.:D As for the $400 for the 2 items, if you want a quality auto. You'll probably have to pay. I personally have never paid for a Thome ;)

skyking26
10-21-2007, 05:32 PM
But I am not bosum pals with Jim on a personal level like you, Roger. I am a sniveling piece of s*it lowlife fan who just wants a couple of things signed...

bigjimsguitars
10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
But I am not bosum pals with Jim on a personal level like you, Roger. I am a sniveling piece of s*it lowlife fan who just wants a couple of things signed...

I'm with you, it's just too much money to spend for a couple of signatures, but it would be nice to get them and in person so you can interface with Mr. Thome albeit for a few seconds...

I can still remember when Lenny Harris was with the Dodgers and I had one of his rookie bats from when he was with the Reds and handed it to him to sign and he gripped it and swung it a few times and said, man that one had some hits left in it (it has a slight crack) and just smiled and then signed it for me...

Still have that bat and the memories of him remembering the bat....

thomecollector
10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
BOB,
WTF ????? :mad:

thomecollector
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I WAS JUST SAYING THAT YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING A NICE AUTO. AGAIN, WTF ?????:mad:

bigtruck260
10-21-2007, 07:42 PM
In STL, Willie McGee is royalty...though I hear in CA, he is just another ballplayer. Anyway, in MO, he commands $100 for a bat. I thought the price was a little steep until I brandished my bat for him to sign - and his face LIT UP like a little kid. He rubbed his fingers across the handle (where he grooved it) and turned it over a few times before telling me the exact year he used it ('96). Here is a photo of that day and that big Willie smile...in this case, it was worth the $$ just to interact with a classy guy like #51.

skyking26
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I WAS JUST SAYING THAT YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING A NICE AUTO. AGAIN, WTF ?????:mad:

Not for $400. Who's sensitive now??? Some of us just don't have the connections. Just stating the facts, no offense.

thomecollector
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Not for $400. Who's sensitive now??? Some of us just don't have the connections. Just stating the facts, no offense.
I'M NOT THE SENSITIVE ONE. I HAVE NO CONNECTIONS. I JUST TEND TO FOCUS ALL OF MY ATTENTION ON ONE PARTICULAR PLAYER. JUST LIKE YOU USED TO DO WITH KINGMAN....NO OFFENSE.

skyking26
10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I'M NOT THE SENSITIVE ONE. I HAVE NO CONNECTIONS. I JUST TEND TO FOCUS ALL OF MY ATTENTION ON ONE PARTICULAR PLAYER. JUST LIKE YOU USED TO DO WITH KINGMAN....NO OFFENSE.
I know there is a jab here - but I don't see it. I have no reason to take offense. I also see no reason to have other interests. It makes one well rounded...

skyking26
10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
You're just upset because Cleveland tanked. My name's not Joel Skinner...

both-teams-played-hard
10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I have always preferred that game worn jerseys and game used equipment to be maintained in their original unautographed condition. I beleive that keeping the items in their original condition maintains the integrety of the item. You don't see game used / game worn items in any of the Hall of Fames displayed with autographs on them. I would say, get a photograph or baseball signed by the player and then display it next to his game equipment.

I agree. Did you guys miss the numerous threads about removing autographs from mesh or knit fabric?
As for photo-ops...In 1985, my dad's only son was lucky enough to get this photo:
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6104/meandjordan222bp1.jpg

skyking26
10-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Sometimes photos like that are worth more than a sig. Nice. Must have been taken last year??

sammy
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Back in 2000, I contacted Brooks Robinson's representatives about a private signing.

The price was 25,000.00 plus expenses for a 4 hour signing, with a set number of items to be signed.

I just laughed and told them they were crazy.

bigjimsguitars
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Back in 2000, I contacted Brooks Robinson's representatives about a private signing.

The price was 25,000.00 plus expenses for a 4 hour signing, with a set number of items to be signed.

I just laughed and told them they were crazy.

And how much do you think would have actually filtered down to Brooks?

godwulf
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
My sincere apologies to Sergio Santos - yeah, I know...like he's gonna read this - and to the Baseball gods; earlier in the thread, I besmirched his character somewhat, 'cause he appeared to have snubbed me last Saturday night, when I was trying to get him to sign a bat, after an Arizona Fall League game.

Good rule of thumb: never post when angry or mildly depressed.

I must have just caught him at a bad moment, or something...'cause today, only mildly daunted, I lay in wait for him outside the clubhouse door, called his name as he passed by, and he came back and very graciously took the time to put a nice signature on the bat for me.

richpick
10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Here is one that I am sure you will all appreciate. I am a Dodger fan and even though he was a Cub when this happened I am sure some of you will remember when Rick Monday grabbed the American flag from two guys who ran onto the field and were trying to light the flag on fire. This happened at Dodger Stadium in 1976 (if you do not know of this event which is deemed one of the top 100 moments of baseball history go to rickmonday.com and there is a video of the event with Vin Scully calling the action, classic). Well I have a large poster of the famous shot of Rick with the flag just after he grabs it away from the two guys. The poster is black and white and from the Herald Examiner newspaper.

Well Rick Monday was doing a free signing a few weeks ago at a Nissan dealership in Los Angeles. So my daughter and I traveled up there with the poster. So the autograph is FREE and the poster came out of a bunch of Dodger stuff that I bought from a flea market and I had made my money back on a few nice items so really the poster was an afterthought so it was FREE. So really I had no money into the whole thing apart from time and gas.

We go and I tell my daughter of the whole story and she asks "what happened to the two guys who tried to light the flag on fire?". So I tell her we will ask Rick if we get a chance. The event was really nice free Dodger Dogs and sodas and really about 20 or so people in line. We get to Rick and I ask him to sign the poster to my daughter and myself. He does and then we talked with him for over 5 minutes. I told him my daughters question and he replied "I can tell you what happened to the two guys they were ticketed for tresspassing and placed on probation for two years". The flag is still in his posession. Really nice guy.

So here is the FUNNY part. So now I have a nice poster to frame that my daughter and I will remember. The poster though is not in the best (MINT) shape. It has many folds which is how they placed it in the newspaper and the folds have slightly yellowed and a couple of folds have started to tear. It is not bad though for being over 30 years old. So since I am going to frame it I send it to a poster conservation company on the east coast who preserve posters and one sheets for auction houses, collectors, and museums. I am thinking, going in that I will pay $80 for linen backing which will strengthen the poster for framing.

They call and tell me to restore the poster to perfect condition it will cost $210. I explain that the poster has no real monetary value and this would be absurd. If I did pay this money they would bleach wash the poster to remove the yellowness (since he signed in permanent Sharpie it would not affect the signature, sounds weird but they assurd me), fill in the tears, and then add the linen backing. I pleaded that the poster only had sentimental value so they said they could do it for $185.

Rick Monday Flag Snatch Patriotic Poster: FREE
Personalized Signature from Rick Monday: FREE
Preservation and repair of poster: $185
Memory with my daughter: PRICELESS

It will take one month turnaround time and then I will have framing on top of that! Oh well its only money!

http://preceptmg.com/richard/baseball1.jpg
My daughter and Rick Monday

http://preceptmg.com/richard/baseball2.jpg
Myself, my daughter, the poster, and Rick

Richard

island_style
10-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Maybe there should be a thread on how to collect auto's for free where people from around the country could chime in and lend their experiences at the different ball parks around the country.

With that let me give some free pointers about Dodger Stadium:

The gates open for the parking lot 2 hours before the game, and while it's stated that the gates to the stadium open 90 min before the game, there is the field level gate at the left field side that opens 2 hours before the game and all fans regardless of where they are sitting can come in and get an opportunity to watch the last part of the Dodgers during Batting Practice and maybe shag a ball and get an autograph...fans's are allowed to stay until batting practice is over for the visiting team and that also means that they can get some auto's from the visiting team.

The visiting team buses typically park outside of the right field pavilion and the players walk to it at the end of the game and they often sign and allow you to take pictures with them, but you have to hang around for about an hour or so at times. This is okay as it allows for the traffic to die down anyway.

Great info on the left field entrance and visitor's team bus. I can remember when the Dodger players used to park outside the left field pavilion. Although there was a chain link fence to separate the players and autograph seekers, it was fairly easy to get some sigs (either with the players signing through the fence or by tossing the items over the fence). Unfortunately, the Dodger players now park in a secured area on the eighth level at the employee entrance in-between the Reserved Level and Top Deck.

Here in Hawaii, we have the Hawaii Winter Baseball League going on. The players are very approachable and I have yet to see a player turn down an autograph or photo opportunity. Joba Chamberlain pitched here last season.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

otismalibu
10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
So here is the FUNNY part. So now I have a nice poster to frame that my daughter and I will remember. The poster though is not in the best (MINT) shape. It has many folds which is how they placed it in the newspaper and the folds have slightly yellowed and a couple of folds have started to tear. It is not bad though for being over 30 years old. So since I am going to frame it I send it to a poster conservation company on the east coast who preserve posters and one sheets for auction houses, collectors, and museums. I am thinking, going in that I will pay $80 for linen backing which will strengthen the poster for framing.Well, I guess it's a little late but here's what I do for old posters that aren't in the greatest shape. Take it to your local craft shop and have it dry mounted to foam board. Takes out all the wrinkles and adds a rigid backing. Then I go over the any imperfections with colored pencils. You can also have it dry mounted to a slightly over sized piece of foam board, leaving a border for a mat. I think it's around $20-25 for a 24"x36" poster.

If you look at the pair of posters in the 3rd row down (below link). You'll see that the one on the right was laminated and you can see all the folds. The one on the left also had the fold marks, but it's been dry mounted and touched up. Almost all of them have been dry mounted and stuck in a cheap frame.

http://www.geocities.com/otismalibu/posters.html

richpick
10-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, I guess it's a little late but here's what I do for old posters that aren't in the greatest shape. Take it to your local craft shop and have it dry mounted to foam board. Takes out all the wrinkles and adds a rigid backing. Then I go over the any imperfections with colored pencils. You can also have it dry mounted to a slightly over sized piece of foam board, leaving a border for a mat. I think it's around $20-25 for a 24"x36" poster.

Thank you otismalibu,

In the future this will help with other projects or anything that does not hold so much sentimental value. I did send it to one of the best restorers around and when you get the best you pay for the best. I am sure it will turn out nice and I am thinking of trying to get Vin Scully to autograph the poster as well as he was giving the play by play of the event. I will post a picture of the poster when I get it back.

Thanks agian,

Richard

godwulf
10-23-2007, 01:00 PM
If you want a real collectible, you should try to get the "hippies" to sign it.

:rolleyes:

Naaaaaaaa...

richpick
10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
If you want a real collectible, you should try to get the "hippies" to sign it.

Thats funny that crossed my mind

Richard

cjw
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
I enjoyed reading about the best player autograph spots in the various stadiums and thought this would be a great post to leave in the "educational" section...so that fans could check in for updates before haeding out to new cities for vacation ball games.

To that end, let me provide you with some feedback on the best places to obtain player sigs in Toronto's Rogers centre - home of the Blue Jays. I worked in the Hotel in the stadium for 10 years and missed out on many amazing player autographs as it was Hotel policy to give the guests their space (only fair..but I missed out on Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, the Mick, Ali...etc!). For a non-employee, the Hotel lobby and front doors are a great place to hang out. Better if you are a guest...but book early, especially for Yankee, Indians and ChiSox games (book the day the MLB sked comes out). If you have a room, you can hang out in the lobby or in the bar and you will get several Jays sigs and have shot at many others. Only the White Sox stay at the Hotel in the stadium thus far (this could change, but since 1977 the city has had ball and the visiting teams have had other hotel affliations...the stadium hotel was opened in 1989). When the Sox visit thay stay at the Hotel and the guests can get everyone's autograph. Non guests hand out just outside the lobby doors and aren't shooed far away by the doormen, so this works too.

For other teams, try the lobby too.....even thought the other teams don't stay there, many players use the hotel lobby as a meeting place to link up with friends, family and former teamates, now on the jays roster. If you aren't a guest, but are quiet and polite you should have no problem hanging out here...escpecially if you go into the lobby bar and have a drink. There is an elevator that comes from the field to the kitchen area of this bar/restaurant, and many players and media come up this way. This is more comfortable than hanging out in a parking lot. Get-away days are different...the visitors and Jays will board buses and cars in the lot under the stadium and one will have little chance to catch them. Soem of the visitors also exit from gate 7...so this can be a good spot as well. gates open 1 1/2 hours before the game, so most of BP is over or ending and autos here are not easy.

visit Toronto if you get a chance...great city...clean, friendly, exciting and interesting...enjoy!

godwulf
10-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Thats funny that crossed my mind

Beyond the fact that one of the "hippies" was reportedly the father of the other, I've been unable to find out any information about their identities. It's got to be out there on the web somewhere...

radtke
11-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Hey Mike,

Why don't you start complaining about the source of the high prices the players and agents. Do you think LT is going to sign your helmet for $10.00? It is hard enough to get them to sign at the price we offer them considering they are getting 7-15 million a year to play. Trust me the margin of profits we make aren't as great as you think. Yeah, LT is hot but if he breaks his neck tomorrow, we get stuck with all his memorabilia. What about if he gets traded? What if he ends up like Mike Vick? Your talking about serious lossess my man. Most collectors do not understand all the costs associated with getting these guys to sit down (signature price, shipping, airfare, hotels, holograms, pictures). It adds up pretty fast The prices we pay them to sign signatures is chump change compared to their contracts and endorsements. Second, if you would like to address why the shipping was the way it is maybe you should deal with the crazy collectors we deal with on a daily basis. Numerous times we have had collectors try and show up at signings because they find out where the location is at. It is a security measure. You may not like it, but that is the way it goes. Remember, this is a business and we are not here to dole out free autographs and this isn't 1970 where players would charge $3.00 a signature.