PDA

View Full Version : Bettis Advice needed

rbalm
02-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Any Steeler experts out there? What do you think of this Bettis?

Thanks
Adam

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jerome-Bettis-Game-Used-Worn-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Jersey_W0QQitemZ8759795379QQcategoryZ86829QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

scottanservitz
02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a few NFL gamers and I think your best bet is to do some photo research for the item you are thinking about. Go to Getty and look at all the pictures you can for the year of the jersey. Check out all the tagging. Jim Yackel has this info on his site. Also, look at cards or any other photo publications to see that letters, nameplates and numbers match up. See if there are any telltale signs that you can find to help you make a smart buyer decision. NFL jerserys are very easy to duplicate. NFL Auctions sell game ready stuff that has been known to be doctored by sellers to pass off as game worn. Bettis is a superstar and will bring some pretty hefty prices. I remember another Bettis jersey on eBay within the last year. I believe it was at $1,100 or so when the auction was ended. The seller probably got an offer to end it early. Anyway, find your own proof. Team repairs and such help alot. See if he used any hemmed jerseys. Those types of clues will help in your decision. Again, this will probably be an expensive time to buy his stuff when the Steelers are in the Super Bowl and his talk of retiring is lingering. Just will add to the price. Good luck and I hope this helps in your endeavor. -Scott

rbalm
02-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks Scott for the advice. However, you just brought up what the problem is with this hobby. Too much Bogus material and too many crooks. I dont have hours to spend to sit on the computer looking at Getty photos to try to match up a jersey. Your response implies another great point, if you buy on Ebay, buyer be aware unless you want to spend the hours needed in an attempt to verify a jersey. Myself, I have better things to do with my time.

Maybe I will just go back to coin collecting. Lot easier.

Adam

byergo
02-03-2006, 12:23 AM
This would be the best time ever to SELL Bettis, and the worst time ever to buy. I try to be a contrarian, you know buy low, sell high!