PDA

View Full Version : Autographs/Signing

intheminors
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
If there has been a prior post concerning this, I apologize up front...

What do you guys use to get autographs? Any certain pens for baseballs? Jerseys? I guess I would just like to collect as much information as possible to see what has and has not worked well.

Personally regarding baseballs, I now use your standard BIC ballpoint pen and then spray the baseball with Krylon Crystal Clear. You have to be very careful and lightly spray or the ink will spread. What I normally do is spray once, let dry, spray again, let dry and then I'm done.

So, be specific on your answers. If you have a pen that works good on a black jersey, let me know. What's good to sign a football? A mini helmet? A croquet ball? (I'll PayPal $1 to anyone who has a signed croquet ball from a professional croquet player... if there is such a thing).

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Kyle

bigtruck260
10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I am a fan of using paint pens on all black bats/equipment. Silver sharpies don't show as well...

On balls - medium point blue Bic's (only Official MLB balls) don't bother with the non-officials. There is a reason they sell for a buck.

Jerseys - Blue Sharpies, but I have see laundry pens work well too... I have no idea who makes them.

godwulf
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Those silver Sharpies are horrible! Paint pens all the way, as far as bats go. I like to use silver for dark bats with white or silver graphics, and gold for gold, of course, and a black Sharpie for natural bats. I've noticed that a brand new paint pen will sometimes make too fine a line for a good signature, so I like to break them in a bit first.

murderers_row
10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Don't--I repeat, DON'T--clear coat autographed baseballs.
Handle by the seams when you hold them, store in UV-proof cases, and display in dim light--never direct sunlight.
(If you must display. You're better off storing them in the dark.)

stlbats
10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Definately blue ballpoint pen on baseballs, NO spraying. Keep in UV cubes (about $2-3 ea). I have some black bats in silver sharpie, its not as nice as paint pens, but its ok. Silver paint pens look better, but can be risky and ruin an item if the signer is not careful.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

joelsabi
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
baseball -- fine tipballpoint pen
tickets, photos -blue sharpie
batting glove -- blue o black sharpie
hat, cleats, bats -- silver o gold paint pen
helmet -- paint pen o sharpie

hope this helps

geoff
10-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Good places to buy Paint pens.For Helmets Medium or Fine Point Paint Pens.
I have been looking for a good Paint Pen but can't seem to find them in the area I live.
I would order on the computer also if someone can point me in the right direction of a good one.

Thanks
Geoff

grandpahoo
10-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Good places to buy Paint pens.For Helmets Medium or Fine Point Paint Pens.
I have been looking for a good Paint Pen but can't seem to find them in the area I live.
I would order on the computer also if someone can point me in the right direction of a good one.

Thanks
Geoff

I bought a gold paint pen from Michaels and had McGahee use it to sign a FS Ravens helmet a couple weeks ago. It turned out really, really well. I used a bigger point than I normally do, and it ended up looking much better.

grandpahoo
10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Also, I've found that blue Sharpies look great on photos, but they end up fading over time if you use them on white panel footballs or white jersey numbers.