PDA

View Full Version : Do any of your friends/family members ever ask to wear your equipment?

kylehess10
10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Earlier this week I get a call from my girlfriend and she said: "Tomorrow we have to wear our favorite sports team jerseys at school so can I pleaseeeeeee wear one of those worn jerseys you have on your wall?"

pshhhhh

yea right :D

I gave her one of my own jerseys but after her asking me this question, it leads me to ask; Have any of your friends/family members ever ask to wear/use any of your game used memorabilia, and if so, do you let them?

I had some friends over last week and one wanted to take some pictures with my game worn hats on, and ofcoarse I said no. Then we were playing pool and one needed a glove to wear and he said "let me get one of those gloves in the case" and ofcoarse, again, I said no. I'd love to hear any other stories you guys might have.

05whitesox
10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes I Have Had That Same Problem With Everything I Have For Instance My Stadium Seats From Us Cellular Field Everyone Who See's It Ask's To Sit On Them Which I Would Never Let Happen And My Gameused Bats Everyone Has A Habit Of Trying To Take Them Out Of Their Case To See How Heavy They Are.

dcrules01
10-13-2007, 01:47 PM
My first Wright bat I bought earlier this year my wife picked it up and was like this bat is dirty you got ripped off as she started to swing it and I was like no it's broke.:eek::eek::eek::eek: Nooooooo do not touch anything :confused:Then I explain ....Then her comment is why do you waste your money.But she does love what I have done with the bedroom :):DShe knows better than to touch the jerseys...

cigarman44
10-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Im a little my lenient with my stuff. I dont have any of my bats in cases, just racks, so I dont mind them being picked up or swung if not broke ofcouse. Figure you can't hurt them. I play MLB 07 The Show is my Busch Stadium seat. It gives me an advantage over my competitor :D Just wish it had a cup holder on it!

kellsox
10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't have a problem letting others handle bats(as long as they are not severely cracked), its not like the're going to hit anything with it. As far as stadium seats go, I don't think letting friends sit in the seats will do anything detrimental to them as long as they're mounted- plenty of different people sat in them before I got them. Jerseys are pretty much my only items with the hands off rule.

Kelly

intheminors
10-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Our church had a Sports-Themed event for the kids in the church. My wife came to me and asked if the staff could use some of my stuff. I told her to ask everyone what sizes they wanted but I picked everything out.
The guys were kind of impressed, even though it was all minor league stuff; the women had no idea what the teams were.
All in all, I was just hoping for a little leniency later on. I was a pretty bad kid and all. Never hurts to kiss up to guy upstairs from time to time.
Kyle

bigtruck260
10-13-2007, 03:07 PM
[quote=cigarman44;56186] I play MLB 07 The Show is my Busch Stadium seat.quote]

'Atta boy. I am buying a pair right now cigarman444. By the way, we should get in touch - I'd love to see what you have in your collection.

My buddies are allowed to pick up bats that are out of display cases...actually, I do it frequently. I am in the process of learning how to repair busted bats, so there are a few broken ones out too...they are allowed to pick them up, but no swinging.

I took a Scarborough Green bat to the batting cages once and a friend of mine shattered it. That was fun. ;)

stlbats
10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I am pretty picky with most of my stuff. My wife makes fun of me. My kids love to go in my sports room, but at 6 and 3 they dont get to very often. Most of my stuff is in some kind of case, so it doesnt get touched much. I am even hesitant to let my friends go in there because I dont want to be rude, but dont touch!

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

both-teams-played-hard
10-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Earlier this week I get a call from my girlfriend and she said: "Tomorrow we have to wear our favorite sports team jerseys at school so can I pleaseeeeeee wear one of those worn jerseys you have on your wall?"

In Los Angeles public schools it is forbidden to wear team caps, jerseys, jackets, etc. Gangs have adopted team colors and logos to represent their "clubs". In North Carolina, "UNC" means University of North Carolina, here in L.A., it means Unified Neighborhood Crypts. Those lil' rascals! They may shoot someone wearing the wrong colors! Dang those skamps! But what can you do? Kids will be kids...

both-teams-pack-heat

Nathan
10-14-2007, 12:37 AM
The future Mrs asked to wear gamers and pose for pics in it shooting hoops and doing yardwork and shoveling manure. I said "What the hell do you think this is, an AMI catalog?"

skyking26
10-14-2007, 02:28 PM
I myself have tried on my jerseys. I would not allow anyone else to do so. Too much money wrapped up in them. Anybody comes over to view anything in my room, I keep the # to a minimum and watch things closely. No children are allowed in the room. If my 10 and 6 year old have friends over, the door is locked. My kids only go in if I am there and it is for "looking" only, no touch...

RK

jake33
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I coach a 6th grade football team, they play 7 on 7 and we wear black jerseys and our opponents wore black, too so i brought a few MINOR player game used white Bucs jerseys and the kids went nuts and we won 45-6. It was fun calling plays saying
"Aaron Stecker throw it to Karl Williams"

scottanservitz
10-14-2007, 09:05 PM
This thread is hysterical! I have a 4 and 2 year old boys that like to touch everything. They touch my bat case in my bedroom just to see if I will say anything. It really is funny. I have never worn my own game jerseys, but I did try on my buddy's '91 gamer of one Michael Jordan. Very cool to say I have done that! It is now in a beautiful frame never to be worn again. Oh how we treat wood and cloth these days! I love this hobby.

Scott

cordovacollector
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I took a Scarborough Green bat to the batting cages once and a friend of mine shattered it. That was fun. ;)

BigTruck ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mad:

I have been looking for a Scarborough Green bat or anything of his for years. He broke it? HE BROKE IT?!?!?

OK, you must do penance and improve your karma ... can you find anything of his from high school: yearbook, jersey, etc. :cool:

But I really would like a bat. He broke it?!?! :eek:

eisenreich8
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I've sacriligeously (sp?) worn a few MLB gamers "around town", in the past, but only to appropriate events like the '99 All Star FanFest at Fenway. In recent years I do let my wife and 2 sons all wear PawSox GW jerseys to games here at Durham Bulls Athletic Park, where they visit this month (we've got tickets for June 20), and it feels right to do so. I have an Edwin Almonte #41 alternate that is huge and the family wears the jersey of their choice. It's just team spirit, our fellow PawSox fans are always curious where we got the jerseys and it's not hard, either the team store or eBay. The jerseys incur no damage and wind up right back in the closet post-game.

My MLB stuff, nearly Jim Eisenreich, is jerseys behind glass and bats on 2 racks, but no harm comes to them.

mvandor
06-09-2009, 05:48 PM
My 14 year old daughter asked to borrow a jersey for Sports Jersey Day at school. She ended up wearing a Cromartie Chargers Reebok Authentic (not game used or even issued) from my rack. I offered her my Tim Dobbins gameworn throwback as it fit her better and isn't exactly overly valuable.

But it was unwashed and grossed her out. :D

jbcindc
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Before getting married I negotiated the entire basement as my Man Room. My wife gets to decorate the rest of the house. The man room has two rooms that are exclusively Chargers Rooms and the remainder of the basement is dedicated to players I've liked from all the other NFL teams. I'm able to display about 65 of my game worn jerseys and it's in the Chargers Room that I watch my football games. When my family gets together over a Chargers game I let my nephews, 5 year old son, brother-in-law, brother and father all wear a game worn jersey. We'll switch from offensive to defensive players' jerseys during the game to "help" the Chargers offense or defense as appropriate. The kids think that they gain that players "powers" while they're wearing the jersey.

There is no eating allowed while wearing the jersey and they have to sit somewhat still. No harm has come to any of the jerseys and the kids and family love it. It makes it fun for them and that was partly my intent when I created the Man Room.

My wife doesn't understand or like the Man Room, but she doesn't fight me on it and is pretty supportive.

Jason

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I am very picky with my items so I never let anyone try anything on or even swing a bat lol. I would like the player to be the last person that used the item. Just me.