PDA

View Full Version : Bat Repair Question

godwulf
10-08-2007, 12:24 PM
What kind of clamps, and what sort of padding, have you found works best when repairing bats?

I was checking out various types of small clamps at the hardware store yesterday, and it seems as though either a 'C' clamp or a spring clamp would work. I'm leaning toward going with spring clamps - 2" clamps for cracks in the handle area, 3" clamps for the barrel - but of course the part of the clamp that touches the bat is going to have to be padded, so as not to dig into the wood and leave an impression.

My only reservation about spring clamps, vs. 'C' clamps, is that they exert a lot of pressure - maybe too much - and it can't be varied, as with a 'C' clamp.

I seem to recall reading some time ago about somebody using small pieces of leather for padding. I'm thinking that whatever is used would have to be something that wouldn't stick too much to any glue that is forced out of the crack by the pressure of the clamp.

Also, is there such a thing as a clamp with ends that are curved, such that they would conform to the curve of the bat itself, minimizing the possibility of leaving an impression in the wood?

jon_8_us
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
What kind of clamps, and what sort of padding, have you found works best when repairing bats?

I was checking out various types of small clamps at the hardware store yesterday, and it seems as though either a 'C' clamp or a spring clamp would work. I'm leaning toward going with spring clamps - 2" clamps for cracks in the handle area, 3" clamps for the barrel - but of course the part of the clamp that touches the bat is going to have to be padded, so as not to dig into the wood and leave an impression.

My only reservation about spring clamps, vs. 'C' clamps, is that they exert a lot of pressure - maybe too much - and it can't be varied, as with a 'C' clamp.

I seem to recall reading some time ago about somebody using small pieces of leather for padding. I'm thinking that whatever is used would have to be something that wouldn't stick too much to any glue that is forced out of the crack by the pressure of the clamp.

Also, is there such a thing as a clamp with ends that are curved, such that they would conform to the curve of the bat itself, minimizing the possibility of leaving an impression in the wood?

I use these Irwin Quick Grip clamps.The clamps are soft and contour to the bat more than you would think.No padding neccesary thats for sure.Only drawback is that they are around 20$ a piece.Well worth it though.Hope this helps.
Jon